Rainy week in Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rainy week in Whistler

Going to be in Whistler next week and the forecast is for rain every day. Looking for some perspective. I am sure the trails will be fine, but anyone have some advice? Should we expect full days of rain or does it come and go this time of year? Better to head to Squamish or Pemberton on a rainy day?

We live in Colorado and clue less about rain 😀 Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cgauss View Post
    Going to be in Whistler next week and the forecast is for rain every day. Looking for some perspective. I am sure the trails will be fine, but anyone have some advice? Should we expect full days of rain or does it come and go this time of year? Better to head to Squamish or Pemberton on a rainy day?

Been here for just over a week with barely a drop of rain, the trails could use some but are in pretty good condition. Heading to squamish today forecast for rain. Seems like everytime we ride there it rains, and its very rideable. Honestly all the areas here are rideable in rain. Were used to tropical clay and roots and trip out on the traction on the granite here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgauss View Post
    Should we expect full days of rain or does it come and go this time of year? Better to head to Squamish or Pemberton on a rainy day?

Forecast days that say "showers" will be intermittent rain. Days that say "rain" will be longer stretches of steady rain. 1mm of rain is very little...you'll just get damp. 5-10mm starts be some decent wetness and 20mm+ is "where do we buy fenders" rain.

I live in Coastal BC and we ride all winter. Riding Squamish or Pemby would be fine, but the Whistler valley trails will also be good in the rain. You'll just need to learn to ride the wet roots like a BC local.

The Weather Network Hourly Forecast is pretty decent for ride planning. If you look at it for the next day you'll see that you can ride the whole morning without much rain or the whole afternoon. We ride all winter and there's usually a window for a ride that's not an epic deluge...usually.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

mtbr member
    Weather today was perfect but it's rained all evening, I ride in the wet a lot so here's some things I do to manage when it's really coming down, can mean the difference between having fun and just wanting to quit;

In the bike park; I really cover up so that means
    rain jacket,

pants; I don't use mtb specific ones actually use some work wear ones, some friends use old ski pants too. Some friends like cutting old ski pants into shorts they find pants too hot, I prefer pants though.

Gloves I add a pair of disposable nitrile gloves over top (could go under but I like over), grip isn't great but keeps hands clean and dry

goggles; being able to see is very important and bad goggles are a day ruiner for me, so I'll go into detail here. Ryder's have the best anti fog tech and are pretty cheap, Whistler clearance centre had the old model the 'shore' for $20 or $30 or the 'tall can' is the new model. 100% accurai with the clear anti fog lense were the second best ones I've used. Some other kinds are awful. Be careful not to fog up, I find the less messing around with the goggles the better off I am, try to keep them on. If you lift up your helmet to the top of your head the sweat/heat from the top of your head can fog them (especially in the gondola). Putting them up in the space below your visor will pull dirt inside of them. Putting them over the jaw peice of your helmet will get dirt in them AND you are breathing straight in. Dangling them off your handlebar means they're just collecting rain. Basically what I'm getting at is on your eyes is the best place, duh. If you do fog the best way to clear them is with airflow, ideally keep riding if it's not too bad yet, and riding the chairlift instead of the gondola helps. If it's really bad holding the strap and spinning them around really fast can work. Wiping the inside is a last resort, some models have a coating that you will be removing by wiping the inside, and you are just smearing the moisture around not removing it, but a wipe with a soft cloth/tissue/toilet paper will work. Wiping the outside is fine, I use a thumb or a cloth/tissue/tp from my pocket. Wiping off mud and grit can lead to scratches and using tear offs would be better but I don't.

A mud guard/fender on your fork helps, all the shops have purpose built ones or you can get crafty and make one, I made one out of a plastic bottle that I stuck on a rental bike when I was travelling once.

My feet solution is waterproof socks, heard using bread bags can work but I've never tried. Otherwise I just sucked it up and had wet feet. Tried using gaiters but it didn't really work. Drying out your shoes for the next day is nice, I stick them on a boot dryer but backup solution to that is stuffing them with newspaper and leaving them near something warm.

In terms of trails and riding, most of the park handles rain well except for a few of the newer creekside ones (misfire, midguard, sabertooth horse, some others, I actually found elixir to insomnia pretty fun in the wet though). Roots and bridges are more slippery, the dirt handles it well and most of the rock is pretty good except some of the smoother more 'polished' spots. The jump trails are harder as it's harder to keep momentum when it's wet, and C-more specifically has a couple parts that get greasy to add to that.

For xc/all-mountain /pedalling/enduro/whatever they call normal biking outside of the park these days,

I find it hard to wear a jacket without getting too hot, sometimes bring one and end up only wearing it for descents, otherwise I like a long sleeve jersey. Maybe if I know I'm with a slow group that will stop alot I'll wear a jacket.

I do like to choose a thicker pair of shorts that hold up in the wet better instead of soaking through right away. Would never wear pants too hot.

Lots of friends wear goggles I bring almost clear lense riding glasses (also have Ryder's). Usually will just wear them for the descent not the climb.

Gloves I might just have them in a pocket until the descent to keep them dry.

For trails there are some that are better than others in Whistler when wet and a few that don't hold up well at all (specifically the trails on blackcomb except for golden boner/roam in the loam). The suggestion of checking out Pemberton is a good one the trails in the mackenzie/mosquito Lake area hold up well and dry out fast. I wrote a post somewhere and listed off a bunch of wet suggestions I'll see if I can dig back and find it...

Here

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    There's actually not a ton of trails that get messed up from being ridden wet, really just the higher blackcomb trails (dark crystal, microclimate). There are some that become harder though.

Kill me thrill me is fine wet, not the best trail but still good. Can add 'Out There' if you're riding out that end of town. If you like techy up/down like kill me thrill me, doing the yummy nummy/fore play part of comfortably numb is sweet.

For mellower (but still fun) trails to ride in the wet, lost lake zappa trails are good. Cut yer bars area is all good, can add some harder options on 'roll yer bones'. The lower west side stuff is all good, you can make a good zigzagging loop of those from south to north doing lower sproatt/peice of cake/a la mode/3birds/middle danimal/up stone bridge dr/lower sproatt/ down 99er/up stone bridge again/danimal North or beaver pass (there's one big rock roll on beaver pass at the end of the clear cut, gets slick but there's a go around) /up whip me snip me/lower bintys (there's 1 steep chute thing that has a go around on bintys)

For a harder but still rides well wet; of the cheakamus ones, highside/hi hi/business time/ampm. And the trails above alpine Meadows ; howler and Billy epic. Howlers probably my favourite wet ride, tough climb up though.

Keep in mind this is all suggestions for if it's really wet, might turn out alright this week we'll see. If there's a clear window for lord of the squirrels definitely do it, but don't bother on a really wet day you'll loose the views and it's a long time to be out in the wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great I Info, rode today, was great mist of the day, and a bit wet at the end. No issues. Thanks.