Private insurance issue?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Private insurance issue?

Would insurance pay for injuries sustain from sport activities such as biking? This question is regard to Canadian private insurance.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Caca pasa
    No. A sex change wouldn't be covered either.

I'm sure that in rare cases, mtbr users could be talked into donating for a brain transplant for certain members.
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

ups and downs
    There's two different questions there; one related to liability insurance and one related to disability insurance. And the starting point for the answer to both would be to read the small print to see what is and isn't covered. The universal thing about insurance is that insurance companies don't like to pay for anything if they can avoid it, so anything in a grey area is likely not going to be covered if they can avoid it.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have BC med and it pays for everything. When I go to the USA I buy travel medical insurance from a private Canadian company. The base policy does not cover cycling if you are going down a hill off road. It is classified as Down Hill Mountain Biking. I phoned the policy provider and he said that if you go down a hill we will not cover you.
    But, you can buy a rider on your policy that will cover you for everything. This could even include base jumping if you want. It was not that expensive either.
    Ask your policy holder before you get hurt.

mtbr member
    Sacred Rides specialize in bike trips recommend Allianz insurance for Canadian. This past summer I did a trip with them but got insurance with Marlin travel for the duration of the trip since it was outside my home province and would not be fully covered otherwise.
    “Singlespeed, build character, destroy ego”

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Would insurance pay for injuries sustain from sport activities such as biking? This question is regard to Canadian private insurance.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Basically you need to define what type of coverage you are looking for...

Lost wages?
    Rescue costs?
    Transport to home province?
    Bike repair costs?

I know you can buy insurance to cover rescue costs, and transport to home province.
    I get the feeling this is not long term coverage but rather like travel insurance.
    Stage races often require this type of insurance.

Since the benefits are well defined and maximums can be estimated (because of universal healthcare), the insurance is not overly expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    There's two different questions there; one related to liability insurance and one related to disability insurance. And the starting point for the answer to both would be to read the small print to see what is and isn't covered. The universal thing about insurance is that insurance companies don't like to pay for anything if they can avoid it, so anything in a grey area is likely not going to be covered if they can avoid it.
    This ^^^. Read your policy documents.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com