Prairie View & Jewell Ride Photos- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Prairie View & Jewell Ride Photos

Three of us (RMR, Foreverzero and I) rode Prairie View and Jewell on Thursday evening. In terms of ride time, we did pretty well but drivetrain problems on Foreverzero's bike combined with a busted derailleur on my bike made for a longer overall ride. I broke my derailleur getting too aggressive around some of the rocks on the descent but I still had a few workable gears. All I can say is thank goodness for the Bike Shop's current sale...I picked up two new X-9 derailleurs for $60/ea.

Anyway...the pictures...

Trailhead...Foreverzero showing RMR how to set up a bike :

Some of the easy climbing with views here and there:

RMR telling us how he did a drop off of that cliff a while ago:

Foreverzero laughing at RMR's claim:

And now some of the steeper climbing...right before the really steep climbing (where you have to carry your bike):

The climb was steep right at the end but the views are worth it...so is the descent!:

The start of the loose rocky descent:

A while into the descent...along a section where it flattens out and gets smoother:

A couple of crappy, blurry action shots - somehow I managed to get them in exactly the same spot:

A pretty cool action shot of RMR...I planned for the picture to look like that...honest!:

mtbr member
    looks like it was fun. I haven't got out there yet this year. mybe this next weekend.

mtbr member
    Excellent review as always Never !

How would you rate this ride compared with Baldy Pass in terms of its technical difficulty ?

conjoinicorned
    the prarieview/jewell loop is more technical than baldy, but only because it's a much much longer downhill. the uphill is horrible, i really like the easy uphill of baldy...

the jewell pass portion is almost exactly like baldy, maybe a touch less steep. prarieview is steep, rooty and over very fast. both together make an excellent loop and worth the push up.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    They are both pretty similar, the climb is longer on Baldy but I didn't have to walk any of it. The Prairie View climb felt fairly short but I don't think there is anyone that could ride the last bit of the climb (especially the rock climbing bit). But if they could, I'd like to see it!

The descent on Baldy is also longer, the loose part at the top is longer as well. There were a couple of sections on Prairie View where you had to put more effort into picking a line (just short sections though) while on Baldy I could just plow over most everything.

But both are a lot of fun!

Does that help?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    the prarieview/jewell loop is more technical than baldy, but only because it's a much much longer downhill. the uphill is horrible, i really like the easy uphill of baldy...
    Maybe I'm on crack...to me it felt like the Baldy descent was longer? I didn't note the distance on the computer or check the book though. Maybe I just spent more time waiting for others to catch up on Baldy so it seemed longer.

Plus I've only ridden each of them once so I may not be the best guy to ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmm, I would rate Baldy as the more technical/difficult descent. The steep scree at the top is tricky (last ride, all but one of our group crashed there) and the singletrack section seems gnarlier (bigger roots, bigger rocks, steps, etc) than Prairieview and Jewell, to me anyway.

For reference, we usually take ~1.5hrs to ride the road and climb to the top of Baldy, and ~16-20 minutes to descend. Prairieview takes me around 45min to climb, but I haven't checked from the summit to the bottom of Jewell, It's usually 30-40 minutes to the car though.

conjoinicorned
    hmmm...i've never checked the speedo either. i feel baldy is super short, it certainly takes me 1/3 less time to do baldy then to do jewell/prarieview, but then again i push a lot of the prarieview uphill while i can spin the baldy uphill.

very soon i'm hoping to do both in one day, so i'll have a good idea then...

conjoinicorned
    holy crap you guys are climbing machines, it takes me well over 1 hr. to summit prarieview. never timed the baldy up but it seems shorter, also the downhill seems shorter.

i don't find either ride is very technical, but i agree that baldy has the bigger rocks/steps, as well as the crazy off-camber sections.

mtbr member
    It's weird how the trails feel different to everyone. When we rode Baldy, the total ride time was about 1 hour and 40 minutes and it was 1 hour and 20 minutes for Prairie View/Jewell. Actual time on PV/J was much longer because of the mechanicals.

Members who have read this thread: 0