Possibly working in Whistler this summer.- Mtbr.com
    Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008

Possibly working in Whistler this summer.

Hey, I am trying to put into action my plan of coming to whistler on a student visa this summer and trying to get a job with the mountain. Does anyone have any advice for me? Right now I don't know where i'll be staying or any specifics at all, but I am both terrified and really looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    I cant speak for Whistler but I have lived in other resort towns and some things are the same all over. Have a good cushion in your bank account to get you by untill you start to see a paycheck. Start emailing shops and other establishments now to inquire about work. You may not get any definate responses but it will serve to get your foot in the door. Try to work out a place to live before your boots hit the ground. Staff accomodation isn't always available. Talk to the local hostel about trading work for a bunk and staying there long term in case you can't find somewhere to live. Have a bailout plan. Whistler is pretty cool but it isn't for everybody. However, there are plenty of other resort towns out west that may suit your tastes. Panorama, Silver Star, Sun Peaks, and Kicking Horse all have lift access riding and year round resorts. Banff, Jasper, and Lake Louise are decent place to live and work as well. Last thing, travel light, bring only the stuff you need to exist and a small amount of gear for play. Bikes and skis can be bought and sold. What you'll need are things like riding shorts, shoes, armour, helmet etc. Also consider other activities you may take up. A multi use pack in the 35-45L range, some hiking boots/shoes, and a good waterproof breathable jacket will serve you well. If you're into any sort of climbing, bring your own harness, shoes, and a small rack (belay device, a few biners, and cordelettes). You will find people with whatever else you need to join you.

ups and downs
    Keep in mind that Intrawest is selling off the Whistler resort operation as part of the foreclosure liquidation, so the employment situation might be all over the map this year. Whistler is also very expensive for rental accommodation and it's in short supply.

If you have visions of working at the Bike Park, keep an eye on these pages

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/emp...jobs/index.htm
    http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/emp...obs/summer.htm
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

I dig trails!
    Redrook, N1 for going for it. It will pay off in stories when you are old and rocking in a chair inspiring your grandkids.

Resort towns are tough to crack. Be open to any job to get your foot in the door. After people get to know you, you will be "invited" in with better opportunities for jobs/living.

You never know until you try, so go get it. When I was traveling, I lost money in Edinburgh, Scotland, but had a job in a day and made money in 15% unemployed Dublin, Ireland. Go figure :-/

Go get it, I'm envious.

P

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Thanks guys, we'll see what happens. I'm just finding it difficult to suss at the moment since everything is all about the games. Can't find out anything about jobs or renting with that going on. Apartments that i guess would be about $700 a month are like $2000 for a week at the moment!

ups and downs
    There's an apartment in Whistler for $700/month? You can barely find a basement suite in Vancouver for that much. I'd expect the usual apartment rents in Whistler might be up in the $1500-$2000/month range and likely $2000/day for the Olympics.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Not quite, seems to be about a week or a few days for that much. I meant a room rather than an apartment, only going on what i've heard, i don't really have any way of finding out. I hear they rent out the blackcomb staff accomodation in the summer so that might be an option?

Members who have read this thread: 0