paging ronny- Mtbr.com

Thread: paging ronny

conjoinicorned

paging ronny

hey ronny, my friend just bought your preston, super nice bike. are you getting another? what kind of surgery did you have? do you know if he needs a romic specific spring (you must be a clyde, i can't even move the thing...)

sorry to bug, just thought it was interesting. we should ride some time.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    hey ronny, my friend just bought your preston, super nice bike. are you getting another? what kind of surgery did you have? do you know if he needs a romic specific spring (you must be a clyde, i can't even move the thing...)

sorry to bug, just thought it was interesting. we should ride some time.
    Hey Ferday,

I am thinking of getting another one, but I am not sure yet. I felt sick when your buddy left my place with the Preston. I was strongly considering not selling it to him. I basically paid cost for that frame and I doubt a deal like that will come my way again for a long time. With that said, I recently called up Transition and the 05 Prestons are selling for $750.00 American right now. The 06 retails for 1299.00 Cdn and it is not as nice as the 05 imo. Even after the exchange rate and taxes, it would still be a great deal. Those Americans get the deals.

I had reconstructive ACL surgery several years ago, and last spring I had what was going to be a basic orthoscopic surgery to clean up the same knee. To make a long story short, there was more to clean up than the surgeon first thought, and ended up not riding any trails all summer. My Preston ended up collecting dust, so I put it up for sale. I only rode it for a couple of short rides in October and November up on Nose Hill. That bike rips though. I should be good to go 100% this season (I hope).

I will have a new bike by spring and I would like to go riding with you guys. I have some rust to shake off, so take it easy on me. LOL! I am contemplating several new frames right now. The Preston, Heckler, Nomad, X-5, 6 pack, and the Commencal Supreme and Meta series are on the radar .

Yeah, I am a clyde at 215lbs, but I would recommend Kerry keeping the 700lb spring on the Romic. The Romic is an active shock and the 700lb spring came stock on that frame. The need for a stiffer spring is more evident when the bike is in the 5" mode. I am not sure if there is after market springs for the Romic or not. For the price I sold my Preston for, Kerry can afford to buy a spring or two.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I will have a new bike by spring and I would like to go riding with you guys. I have some rust to shake off, so take it easy on me. LOL! I am contemplating several new frames right now. The Preston, Heckler, Nomad, X-5, 6 pack, and the Commencal Supreme and Meta series are on the radar .
    PM me if you want to take a demo ride on my 6-pack. I live a few blocks from Mountain bike city on 17th Ave.
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

conjoinicorned
    cool, i'm coming off of shoulder surgery so i'll be takin er easy as well...i've had 2 ACL reconstructions, who did yours? both mine were dr. baumann at the talisman centre. i found there was about 12 months of intense physio before i felt somewhat confident on the bike.

i highly recommend the 6-pack or X5 (what kind of riding you like, ski hills or trails?) but only because i believe boutique is better at our age and tax bracket...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Dr. Penner did my knee at Talisman a long time ago, and he no longer works there. I had my second surgery done by Dr. Brae from the U of C sports medicine center. Speaking of shoulders, I had an mri done on my right shoulder in October. I have some labrum damage/tearing and I don't know how bad it is yet. I am awaiting doctor recommendations on it. It would be a minor surgery with only a month of downtime. I hope.

I like trail riding first and foremost, with some light freeriding mixed in. I am interested in the X-5 because it can be built sub 30lbs or big and burly. The amount of options for the X-5 is unlimited. Quad bearings, Custom sizing, many shock options, heavy duty swingarm, four, five, six inches, or a swing arm that has adjustable travel.

I used to have a Heckler and liked the versatility factor on it as well. Not to mention, the Heckler is one of the chepaest boutique frames. Commencal is looking appealing right now and are highly recommended in Europe.

Members who have read this thread: 0