Is padding needed for xc/trail riding in Whistler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Is padding needed for xc/trail riding in Whistler?

I'm going to do some riding in and around Whistler later this year, just xc/trail type stuff, and I was wondering if knee/elbow padding is the norm, or is this only needed for the bike park and the trails with large jumps/drops?

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Helmet....

If you like to hit every nub and rock to get some air maybe some knee pads. Other than that
    I wouldn't wear much in the way of padding. Of course it all depends on what your definition of
    XC is. Myself and my wife, if we're XC'ing then helmets and gloves. Whistler gets damn hot
    in the summer. Do bring a camera.

mtbr member
    Depends on what you're used to. If you can ride super tech clipped in, then don't worry about it. If you're not used to ultra tech terrain, then get some light knee pads. Elbow pads are nice for leaning up against stuff when you're trying to get going. If you're there in the heat of summer, then pads start to be a hindrance. It gets over a hundred there pretty often.

If you're going to hit up A River Runs Through It and try to ride a lot of the stunts, then you'd be well advised to bring some flat pedals, appropriate shoes for flats (read: anything but spd shoes), and with that comes knee pads.

It's easy to rent pads in the Village if you don't want to buy any.

Members who have read this thread: 0