One Pager Map of all Major MTB Areas in BC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. One Pager Map of all Major MTB Areas in BC?

Hey all. i am sure this exists. Is there a one pager map of the major MTB areas in BC so someone can get a sense of regional locations, drive times, and highlights? Like a cool infographic?

Planning a trip.....and not sure where everything is in one shot.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen anything like that, though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Trailforks will give you the density of trail if you zoom out provincially and then you can start looking at specific regions.

I spent 4 months tripping around BC this summer. The trip was all about biking and I've now moved to Rossland.

I'd generally recommend 4 regions for a trip.

1) The Hwy 99 Corridor - N.Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton.

This is probably the highest density of the best riding any where in the world. Easy access from a major city, lots of transportation options. Just bring your A game and a bike to suit it (Ideally 150-160mm FS bike).

2) Kootenays/Rockies (from Calgary if flying in). If you have 2 weeks, draw a circle between Canmore, Fernie, Kimerberly, Rossland/Nelson, Revelstoke and Golden.

Lots of killer riding in between. I unfortunately didn't hit everything in this loop. But I've recommended to a bunch of people to do a Fernie, Rossland/Nelson, Revelstoke trip. About 3 hours driving in between them and each has at least 3 good days of riding. Definitely come mid-late July or August to enjoy the alpine rides

3) Okanogan Valley. Penticton - Kelowna - Vernon - Salmon Arm - Kamloops

Definitely a great option if wineries, beaches and hot weather are your thing. Trails should be more accessible earlier season as well if you were planning early in the year.

4) Vancouver Island.

I didn't explore the island to much, but really enjoyed what I saw. Definitely other cool destinations to add to a trip there, like Tofino.
    Straight outta Rossland

ups and downs
    It turns out TrailForks will give you a provincial view with targeted areas showing the number of trail groups or regions in each area.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/british-columbia/
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    1-2 sound killer. this is exactly the kind of thing I needed. i know the bigger travel dualies are helpful with the downhills. ill have to rent. i ride an epic. good for most of the time but a bit more squish may be ok for a few days! Thanks for the reply- will look into the areas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    this is what i was looking for. thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ok. so I'm looking. heres some more G2 id love your opinion on.

i love the idea of the Calgary fly in. the riding out there looks amazing. were not really a gravity crew but we do Colorado just fine. Assume i have the same kind of options ranging from shorter rides to shuttle, parks, and the all day epics and ok for XC crew with range of bikes from 100 mm dualies to the mid level dualies as you suggested? what would i do for only 5 full days of riding?

same question for the #1 zone you mentioned- i was looking at a pemberton, whistler, squamish combo. is that too much for 5 full days of riding?

I'm ok to switch houses once if needed. We do that at moab/fruita for example. but a single base zone with ride outs and drive to the next place for a day trip is fine. crested butte was like that....a 1.5 hour drive to salida and boom- monarch crest. that kind of thing.

thoughts?

happy to talk on the phone if easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    ok. so I'm looking. heres some more G2 id love your opinion on.

i love the idea of the Calgary fly in. the riding out there looks amazing. were not really a gravity crew but we do Colorado just fine. Assume i have the same kind of options ranging from shorter rides to shuttle, parks, and the all day epics and ok for XC crew with range of bikes from 100 mm dualies to the mid level dualies as you suggested? what would i do for only 5 full days of riding?

same question for the #1 zone you mentioned- i was looking at a pemberton, whistler, squamish combo. is that too much for 5 full days of riding?

I'm ok to switch houses once if needed. We do that at moab/fruita for example. but a single base zone with ride outs and drive to the next place for a day trip is fine. crested butte was like that....a 1.5 hour drive to salida and boom- monarch crest. that kind of thing.

thoughts?

happy to talk on the phone if easier.

So, I'd actually recommend Sqaumish/Whistler/Pemberton for a 5 day trip.

Fly into Vancouver, stay in Whistler the entire time. Go in August.

Go to Squamish 1 day (40min drive). I'd generally recommend more, but if you aren't really a gravity crew and you do 'okay' in Colorado, well Squamish is not Colorado. Everything is at least a level above. Blues are blacks, blacks are double blacks, etc. You would likely ride mostly blue, maybe dabble in some black. But still some amazing riding. Do some laps up at Garbaldi (Half nelson, Another man's gold, somewhere over there etc). Then grab lunch and on your way back do a lap or two at Alice lake (Leave of Absence, Man boobs, maybe check out some slabs with Room with a View or Boney Elbows).

Whistler: Lord of the Squirrels. Google it. Do it.

Whistler: Plenty of other options. If you are into tough slogs. Comfortably numb or Spend a day in the park. But plenty to explore for 2 other days. Or maybe check out Squamish again if you fall in love, like many do.

Go to Pemberton for a day (25min drive). Do the 'climb up' then come down Rudy's, play around on other stuff and head over and do creampuff as well.

From Calgary, everything is a little more spaced out. Kananakas (Bragg Creek) is supposed to be really good, but I have yet to go. Revelstoke I really enjoyed. Two really good out and back Alpine rides (Keystone Standard and Frisbee). Plus another day in the McPherson Trails. Flowdown is a blast. So maybe drive out from Calgary, a couple days in Kananakas (sorry no recommendations), then rides in Revelstoke and back. The other really good destinations like Fernie and Rossland/Nelson are just too far for a shorter trip.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    this is kind of what i am leaning toward given the research and making it "work" for the first time with only 5 days. we are july 15-29th weeks (in that range). we should be ok, yes?

mtbr member
    this is kind of what i am leaning toward given the research and making it "work" for the first time with only 5 days. we are july 15-29th weeks (in that range). we should be ok, yes?
    You'll find plenty of great riding in that time frame. Lord the Squirrels will probably not be open, especially earlier in that time frame. Last year we rode it August 7th, just after the Whistler Bike Club gave the go ahead. The ride was amazing, but we still trudged through a fair bit a snow and it kept us from doing an extension to the ride that is available up in the alpine. Last year was supposed to be a very high snow year, not sure what this year will bring and how that will influence the opening this season.

But, again, plenty of other riding throughout the three areas.
    Straight outta Rossland

ups and downs
    Out of Calgary there are two solid areas, the Kananaskis Country / West Bragg Creek about 30 minutes out of Calgary on the west side, and then just a 30-35 minute further out, Canmore has some epic rides (and the Nordic Centre if you want a lot of trail density in a small area). Both are typical east slopes of the Rockies stuff.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/west-bragg-creek/

https://www.trailforks.com/region/moose-mountain/

https://www.trailforks.com/region/powderface/

https://www.trailforks.com/region/canmore-townsite/

The two things to watch for around Bragg Creek and Calgary in the summer, serious wind at times (40-50mph) and the mid-afternoon thunderstorms that are short and intense with major lighting. You do not want to be caught in one of those on a mountain side. The storms sneak up on you from the west if you're riding on the east side of the mountain and then you look up and there's a giant black cloud coming over the mountain. They only last part of an hour, but the temperature drops drastically and you're soaked. Not pleasant, but standard summer stuff. If you're at a high enough elevation you can actually be snowed on even in July.

If it has been really rainy there is a lot of clay mud around in spots, and it is like wet cement to ride through, it generally dries quickly if it is a typical hot summer, but better to get some local advice on the day about trail conditions (and bear reports).

There's also some riding inside the Banff National Park, but you need a park day pass and they are often crowded with tourists in nice weather.

One Pager Map of all Major MTB Areas in BC?-dscf6835.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    From Calgary, everything is a little more spaced out. Kananakas (Bragg Creek) is supposed to be really good, but I have yet to go. Revelstoke I really enjoyed. Two really good out and back Alpine rides (Keystone Standard and Frisbee). Plus another day in the McPherson Trails. Flowdown is a blast. So maybe drive out from Calgary, a couple days in Kananakas (sorry no recommendations), then rides in Revelstoke and back. The other really good destinations like Fernie and Rossland/Nelson are just too far for a shorter trip.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    5 days and you've never been here before; go to whistler do 1 day bike park 1 day whistler outside of the bike park, 1 day in Squamish and 1 in Pemberton, then 1 more day of whatever was your favorite.

If you were looking for drive times Squamish is 40 minutes south of whistler and Pemberton 30 minutes north. And whistler is ~2 hours from Vancouver airport (Squamish in between Vancouver and Whistler).

Look up Ironman dates because the highway gets shut that day and could mess with your plans. It's around your dates.

Staying in Squamish and having a little more Squamish time could be good too (probably find cheaper accommodation) but whistler is damn fun.

mtbr member
    I would set up in the interior of BC. You have Revy, Nelson, Rossland, Penticton, Merritt, Kamloops, Vernon. That loop right there will blow your mind and will be the best riding you've ever done.

Stop in Kamloops and visit We Are One composites, and we'll show you the goods.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I haven't seen anything like that, though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Trailforks will give you the density of trail if you zoom out provincially and then you can start looking at specific regions.

I spent 4 months tripping around BC this summer. The trip was all about biking and I've now moved to Rossland.
    Has all of New Brunswick moved to Rossland?
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It is hard to explain just how good mountain biking is in BC. Nearly every single city has a absolutely massive trail network.

IMHO you are better to pick just a couple of places and truly explore their riding network. The trick is to pick right place for the right time of year.

The general rule in BC is as the year progresses move eastward. If you are coming to BC in April then you want to want to be on the coast or island. In May-June you want to be Thompson/Okanagan. Mid-summer you want to be east of Okanagan.

West to East these are the towns I think have the best riding.
    Cumberland, Squamish, Penticton, Revelstoke, Rossland, Fernie. Tons of other killer places with amazing trails but those to me are the real standouts.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    LMN- thanks. Were a bunch of XC all day kind of people. guess were BLUES in the description i have read about the trails- not blacks. All of these areas are still XC friendly and not needing an all mountain shredder with 150-160+mm travel? all the riding descriptions make me think my epic will get crushed. We ride moab and colorado just fine....my epic was a bit short for the last bit of Mag 7 but otherwise fine....

am in in for a rude awakening in BC or is my epic fine for most of the good XC stuff? Looking at the BCBR it looks doable.
    Last edited by jomissa; 01-23-2018 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Here on Vancouver Island there is lot's of riding suitable for you. A bit more suspension is nice on some trails here in Cumberland but not required for fun. If you rode Mag 7 don't worry. Grippy tires and droppers are ubiquitous here.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    LMN- thanks. Were a bunch of XC all day kind of people. guess were BLUES in the description i have read about the trails- not blacks. All of these areas are still XC friendly and not needing an all mountain shredder with 150-160+mm travel? all the riding descriptions make me think my epic will get crushed. We ride moab and colorado just fine....my epic was a bit short for the last bit of Mag 7 but otherwise fine....

am in in for a rude awakening in BC or is my epic fine for most of the good XC stuff? Looking at the BCBR it looks doable.
    In the last five years there has been a massive expansion of intermediate trails and our black trails have become easier or more polished. The nice things is most places offer appropriate trails for either bike (except Whistler). If you are coming with an Enduro race bike you are going to find tons of trails that suit that bike perfectly. If you are coming with an XC bike you will also find lots of trails.

But for XC bikes there are a couple of paces are just perfect. I think Revelstoke and Golden have the XC riding in BC. Huge trail net-works with rolling trails that just make an XC bike sing. The sunshine coast also has a great net-work for XC bikes.

Places to avoid: Whistler, Northshore, Pemberton, Nelson. Wicked riding in all those places, but there, XC means you are pedalling up-hill, people from those towns look at XC bikes as mythical creatures. You can ride an XC bike in those places but you have that knife to a gun-fight feeling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    good stuff. got it.