Okanagan region - Early April riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Okanagan region - Early April riding?

Hey BC guys/girls,

I am thinking of tagging along with an in-law trip to Salmon Arm in early April. Is there normally much riding opened up by that time?

I figure I am probably better off going skiing, but I'd rather do some mountain biking.
    I suspect at the very least there would be some road riding, but that's not nearly as fun.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Not in the Okanogan, but familiar with generalities of the BC Interior, but much of what I'm saying is based on experience in the Kootenays.

- Like everywhere else in Canada, early April can be about as variable as it gets, but generally......

- Mountain biking is just starting to open up with the south aspect, lower elevation trails (generally below 700-800m). This could be +/- a couple weeks depending exact location, the weather in March and then of course what happens daily.

- I think snow packs across the interior are pretty low in the valleys and my sense is, unless March brings unusual cold/precipitation riding may be open a little earlier than normal. However it's still going to be a limited subset of trails compared to the normal season.

- Skiing can be questionable as well, most resorts have set closing dates in early to mid-April. With low snow they can close earlier as well, but based on the snow pack up high around here, I'm guessing it will be targeted closing dates unless March is abnormally dry and warm. (Ski touring will still be a possibility if you are experienced in that regard)

- You can always ride roads, not sure what it's like around Salmon Arm, but fenders could be a good suggestion. Some sections of deep dark roads can see snow melt till quite late.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks! Much appreciated.

That's kind of what I figured from looking around.

I'll keep on eye on the weather, but I'm guessing it probably won't be worth the hassle.

I'd love to spend a few days ski touring, but I'm from the east coast so I don't have the skills or the stomach to deal with avalanche terrain. If I do go, I'll probably end up at Revelstoke for a few days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    looks like this is postponed indefinitely, so hopefully they'll decided to go in a warmer season!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I went to Vernon last year shortly before the may long weekend. It was some of the warmest weather I saw all summer. But a month outside you time frame.

We rode mostly in the provincial park. Decent riding.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    If you are headed to Salmon Arm at this time of year bring a fat bike. Normally still snowy/icy on anything resembling a trail and for pavement riding the roads aren't fully swept till May.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for the advice guys! I kind of forgot about this thread.

At the time, the trip got cancelled (well never really booked) because of the virus. I was thinking this whole thing would have long blown over by now, but here we are.

Obviously this isn't happening anytime soon, if it gets rebooked we'll have a bit more leeway with the timing and will be able to go when the weather makes sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I went to Vernon last year shortly before the may long weekend. It was some of the warmest weather I saw all summer. But a month outside you time frame.

We rode mostly in the provincial park. Decent riding.
    yeah that area has some very nice weather, Vernon, Kelowna, Pentincton. I saw its sunny, no clouds and +14C all across the lake today. Too bad the dog shuttered, though RiderExpress is still operating, maybe shut down for weeks cos of covid-19. There was a passenger on there with the virus, RiderExpress never said anything to the bus driver about the infected person.

Lots of trails to go riding in the Okanagan, I like the old railroad tracks turned into a trail. Myra Canyon, A nice little map here....
    https://www.tourismkelowna.com/thing...n/myra-canyon/
    Has a nice trestle bridge as well.

Old enough to remember ..
    Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park reopened May 14th. Trails are nicely dried up. Need to watch out for a bit more wild life e.g. a black bear mother with two cubs in the Yellow Gate area. Haven't seen any of the rattlers so far.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada