Norwegians visiting Whistler, need some advice..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Norwegians visiting Whistler, need some advice..

My girlfriend and I are looking at renting some DH bikes instead of taking ours with us, and out of two weeks we'll stay for 4-6 days up in Whistler. 3-4 days of biking and then do some hiking; brandywine meadows I guess since it's nearby.

Can anyone recomend a good place for bike rentals and a reasonable place to stay? Perhaps there are some package deals. We are not picky about the place, just need a place to crash.

Some time back I lived two years in Vancouver but didn't do any biking back then (!), only climbing and mountaineering stuff. When I'm reading some posts about riding in that part of BC it seems that there is mainly technical trails, which is kinda surprising. I've hiked some really nice trails in the backcountry. But I can't recall seeing any bikers on these trails. Is it not common practise to ride on the trails where there are hikers? Around Oslo there has been some conflicting interests in that regards.

Some trailriding would have been awesome, but a bit more hassle since we'll rent the bikes and most likely just rent a smallish car.

Anyhow, we are stocked to come out and ride!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Well I ski, hike and bike backcountry. Not too many people ride in the high alpine because frankly they are lazy and its too easy to stay lower in the valleys or in the ski hills.

Anyway you mentioned renting bikes and staying in places. Check at nsmb.com. There's lots more information there especially re package deals.

If you search on MTBR - I did a review on Whistler bike trails so there's also that option of riding normal trails and not the bikepark.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Whistler

So you are saying that you ride up into the Alpine terrain from valley on trails? I too am looking to come out Whistler this summer and am seeking info on cheap but nice digs &/or campgrounds. I'll bring my Ibis Mojo with me - I don't like lifts and crowds, but I love technical singletrack - are there ample opportunities to avoid crowds and still get lots of technical singletrack without riding lift? thanks in advance for any suggestions.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    As I said, please do a search for a review I did of a guidebook for Whistler Bike trails
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Tough to get really cheap places in Whistler. I like http://latitudefivezero.com. Reasonable and nice.

There's no option but to ride technical singletrack in Whister. BC doesn't have anything but. There really are no easy trails. You have to do A River Runs Through It (it's mandatory if youre coming to Whistler). Other good ideas include thrill Me Kill Me to the first part of Comfortably Numb and Young Lust. There's excellent maps for sale in Whistler at every shop.

Alpine may be a problem depending on when you are going to be there. The snow doesn't usually melt off of the high country until later in July.

Members who have read this thread: 0