North of Vancouver, BC - Long weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

North of Vancouver, BC - Long weekend

I have the chance to escape Seattle and head north the first week in October and am looking for recommendations. I have poured over the threads in this section, and a good amount of good ol' Google searches, but am honestly a bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities .... a good problem to have I suppose.

Looking for single track, I want to "earn" my descent and love climbing. I am heading north specifically because I would love some wide vistas and backcountry. I will be solo and an "epic" day for me is maxing around the 20 mile range if it's a good mix of and down. I'll be solo, and if it at all possible would like to not have to shuttle etc. Lastly, I'll be car-camping, so an area in the mix of trails for camping would be great too.

Squamish and Pemberton look good, but not sure on specifics for a guy who can ride technical, but would prefer smooth single with views. I am riding a 2013 FSR Stumpy 29'r for reference.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

ups and downs
    Squamish would be a good bet for a wide variety of loamy trails in a concentrated area, Alice Lake has camping (but the long weekend may be booked up), and there are some vistas (ironically mostly where there has been logging). The trails above Quest University will definitely tire you out with the climbing and descending (rinse and repeat).

Pemberton is much more back country all mountain style for trails, with longer trails and more views. You wouldn't be bored by trails in either area, but you'll likely see a lot more riders on the Squamish trails on the long weekend.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    What long weekend is the first week of October? Or did you mean September.

Go to Pemberton and go up: happy NIMBY middle earth, then down Rudy's overnight sensation and radio tower+moose jaw. Not exactly smooth single track (but not as hard as lots of other stuff in Pemberton) but lots of climbing and views. Then go to squamish for a day. Or throw your plan out the window and go to Whistler and ride the bike park.

ups and downs
    I think I was planning my September long weekend in my mind,

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    What long weekend is the first week of October? Or did you mean September.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada