Norcal CXer riding Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Norcal CXer riding Whistler

My only running MTB is a rigid, SS Chameleon. I have yet to build up my Szazbo.

Here in Whistler on a rented Jamis Dakar XCT. Nice ride, climbs well. I'm definitely not a DH'er or free rider. Mostly XC for me. I thought I'd be interested in suiting up for armor and trying to do the bike park but this place has WAY too many trails to check out. I would kill to have a Lost Lake scene near my house in the SF Bay Area.

I did Pinocchio's Furniture, Peaches, Molly Hogan, trails around the lake, etc. Much fun. I tried to get to Rick's Roost yesterday but got lost on Mel's Dilemma and ran out of gas by the time I hit the trail head. Today I tried to do Green Lake Loop but realized that I was riding the wrong way. A local found me and led on a few trails, including a newly built one off Hogan. Much thanks to Scott. He egged me to take on some woodwork (which I avoided mostly cause I'm chicken), and I was able to do it successfully. DEFINITELY works better to have a local show you the correct routes and directions. I do have THE Whistler trail book and a few others, but my navigation SUCKS.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna try to give the River right and left a shot, if my legs last.

Well done BC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good luck with River - if you were chicken on the LL woodwork, just you wait!! Definitely worth getting local advice... if you're on the Jamis XCT that means you rented from Wild Willies... drop by and ask Larry for ride advice if you're near the Nesters location. If you're still here Monday do the Wild Willies ride 6pm at Nesters. It will cost you a WORCA membership ($40) but a great way to see some new trails with a guide. There are always 5 ride options; beginner, slow intermediate, fast intermediate, advanced and a skills clinic every week. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Made it out to Riverside, Suspension Bridge, and Far Side today. So cool to ride along the riverbed. Hard to concentrate on the trail with such a nice view.

I trekked it out from the Village and back. Man, that's not too close...

Yesterday I did a quick afternoon ride out to Cut Yer Bars. That was very fun and I was able to handle some of the woodwork there. The confidence grows...

Sadly will be gone on Monday. I actually like the trails now since it's pretty empty. I was alone by the Bridge. I think this old man would be annoyed w/ all the grommets decending for Crankworx.

West Coast FTW!
    May 2009
    you should come out and do the Twoonie ride on Thursday, we meet behind the Meadow Park Sports center, you may need to pay 42 bucks to enter but it will be worth it, you get to see the true side of the mountain bike scene here, it will be a good one too.....

Air Pirate
    So the Lost Lake trails are pretty fun? I will be up in Whistler from NorCal sometime between Aug 12th and the 20th with my 12 year old daughter on XC bikes, so it is good to hear another NorCal rider gives his props to that riding area. I am really looking forward to this now! Got any pics of your rides there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbud
    you should come out and do the Twoonie ride on Thursday, we meet behind the Meadow Park Sports center, you may need to pay 42 bucks to enter but it will be worth it, you get to see the true side of the mountain bike scene here, it will be a good one too.....
    great idea - did you do it? it was a fun ride and thank god we didn't have to climb all the way up to the flank trail this time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    So the Lost Lake trails are pretty fun? I will be up in Whistler from NorCal sometime between Aug 12th and the 20th with my 12 year old daughter on XC bikes
    LL is awesome, but super mellow compared to everything else in Whis. Would be perfect for your 12 yo but make sure you see some other trails too....

mtbr member
    Sorry, no pix yet. Been busy riding, no time to upload 'em.

On my last day I did Emerald Forest and River Runs Through It. Yeah, I'm not a wood work person...that was a LOT of stuff down there. Very cool though. That would take some time for me to know that trail and a lot of practice. Later that day, I took the wife out for an easy ride on the VTA since her knee gave out from trail running. On our way past Nita Lake we had some walkers stop us on the trail. They were blocked by a black bear. I took a pic of him walking away, BIG one. He was above waist high, maybe 3.5' or so on all fours. He disappeared behind some houses and we were able to continue.

I'll have to practice some woodwork at home in Waterdog now.

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    I'll have to practice some woodwork at home in Waterdog now.
    Comparing the woodwork at Whistler to Waterdog (or anywhere in norcal) is like comparing a twig to a tree. Whistler's valley trails are actually tame by BC standards. Examples (outside of Whistler):

mtbr member
    I agree, there's nothing local that'll compare to BC's fare. But then again, I don't know any place in the Bay Area that even has wood work.

Don't know the level of your 12 yr old but there's a TON of stuff around Lost Lake. I liked Molly Hogan and some of the trails that it connects too. Tin Pants is an easy tray w/ side trails to keep you interested. Make note of the trail ratings because they are done very well. If it's black, you'll surely run into ruts, rocks and maybe some wood work. But also note that green doesn't necessarily mean flat/no hills terrain. Pinocchio's Furniture and Peaches in Regalia are fun. You should also pay attention to the arrows on the trail. They tell you the best direction to handle the trails. Something I learned the hard way on Mel's Dilemma and Comfortably Numb...

Members who have read this thread: 0