non-mtber in Vancouver/ Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

non-mtber in Vancouver/ Whistler

my wife and I are planning a trip that includes Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver for September. Might as well throw Whistler in there too! I am a XC rider in central Texas where we don't have a lot of elevation change, but trails are technical. I ride a rigid SS everywhere but most people ride FS trail bikes.

my wife is fit but she's not a mountain biker. It would be silly to go to Whistler and not ride some trails. I am not into downhill stuff (although I've not tried it) and she definitely does not have the bike handling skills to ride technical trails.

What trails would be "hardtail friendly" but allow us to put in some miles of non-technical trails with great views and such? we'd have to rent bikes as well. my wife is five feet tall, so I need a medium bike for me and a XS bike for her.

also soliciting any other general advice about visiting the area. vegan-friendly food places as well.

mtbr member
    Lost lake trails will be your best option, or Valley Trail, for just meandering around with your wife. Not sure i'd consider that worth the side trip and renting bikes however. If you want views, just go full tourist in my opinion and gondola up.

My partner is vegan, though we didn't eat out much in Whister (had our travel trailer). But La Cantina was vegan friendly. We liked it, but thats a Canadian, not texan opinion of mexican food.

Have fun in Portland. We just did a bike/food/beer trip to Oregon. Hit Does Donuts on the way in. So good!

Sent from my LG-M320G using Tapatalk
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    But La Cantina was vegan friendly. We liked it, but thats a Canadian, not texan opinion of mexican food.
    that gave me a chuckle! Texans are very judgemental about what qualifies as "Mexican food" in other places. on the other hand, most of what we have here is "Tex-Mex" which is its own, delicious genre, but it's not real Mexican food either. I'd like to say you can't go wrong with guacamole, but I've had some whack-ass guac outside of Texas.

ups and downs
    Non-technical and great views are generally mutually exclusive on the trails outside of the bike park in Whistler. Blue trails around Whistler are going to be like a black diamond trail in the rest of the world. The Lost Lake trails in Whistler will have some hardtail friendly trails but no views.

Honestly, Squamish is a better destination for XC trails that are hardtail friendly and less technical than Whistler, and where you can knit together some longer loops. The big climbing trails are all less technical. And the green and blue trails are quite enjoyable.

Generally because of the tree density, great views are rare in this part of the world.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Squamish might be more our speed and it's a little closer to Vancouver. will look into that, thanks!

ups and downs
    If you check out the area around Alice Lake just north of Squamish there are lots of enjoyable blue and green trails, some with minimal elevation gain like White Rabbit/Wonderland (and the return trails on the west side of the highway - Rusty Bucket, Sweet Judy, etc.), Jack's Trail, and then there's moderate elevation like the Fifty Shades of Green climbing trail that takes you up to Mike's Loop. Rob's/Cliff's corners are always a hoot. If you arrive after Sept 15, then 4 Lakes Trail is open to bikes again for the season, and that is a pleasant ride.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/al...ke--highlands/

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Squamish might be more our speed and it's a little closer to Vancouver. will look into that, thanks!
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Cheakamus lake trail in Whistler fits your description, not too hard and great views.

Also tons of options for some good hikes, doing the ones that start from the resort (take lifts up) get you a head start to the alpine, or the chief in Squamish is a good few hour hike. Joffre lakes (like an hour drive north of whistler) is super popular but super amazing, probably not hard to get there early before the Instagram crowds.

Most restaurants have good vegan options here. There's one called the Mexican corner that might be my favourite, authentic Mexican not burritos and stuff. Rim rock will blow you away (expensive though), alta bistro, nagomi sushi, the list goes on there's lots of great places in Whistler.

I would give the bike park a try, the lesson programs can be a good way to get into a different style of riding. Lots of people from other places say they're not into downhill stuff but this is the best bike park in the world.

mtbr member
    When you get to the Seattle area, PM me and I can take you out to some great HT-friendly trail with views. Possibly bikes too.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    If you are going to do Squamish, get a bear belt.
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardpapa View Post
    If you are going to do Squamish, get a bear belt.
    We're going there in August. I'll see if I can track down what happened to my bear bell.

Thanks for the advice.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986