Newbie in Kamloops, looking for bike advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Newbie in Kamloops, looking for bike advice

I would have posted this in the newbie forum but I think the location has more relevance than the fact that I'm a newbie.

I used to ride a lot in my teens, my last bike was a 2000 GT Zaskar LE. My main recreation has been motocross though, and I haven't had a mountain bike in almost 15 years. Long story short, I'm recovering from some major moto injuries and will be off the bike for the rest of the year, at least. I've been wanting to pick up a MTB to help with getting in shape, as it's much easier to find the time to go for a MTB spin than to load up and go to the MX track.. Because of that, and poor choices, I'm way out of shape. So my main reason for buying a MTB is for fitness.

That being said, I'm looking for a do-it-all bike, as I'm well aware Kamloops has some great downhill terrain and I'm sure I will want to explore it too, not just the pedalling trails.

I don't know the Kamloops trails, I've hiked around Kenna Cartwright and that's about it. From what I can tell there a short travel XC bike or even a hardtail would probably be perfect, but that's going to be pretty limiting for the funner gravity stuff. Would a 6-7" travel enduro bike be a decent option for me, or is it way too much bike for the majority of the Kamloops trails that I'll likely be frequenting? Or is it a good compromise?

I'm probably overthinking it, but part of the reason I'm leaning towards an enduro bike is for the long geometry, I'm 6'6. I just don't want to spend a lot of coin to buy a long, slack bike like a Capra or Nomad and regret it if a more trail/XC oriented bike with 4-5" travel is a much better choice.

What are you locals riding and what would you suggest? Unfortunately renting or demoing a bike is pretty much impossible because of my size so I have to take a leap of faith.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have been riding Kamloops thoroughly for about 2 years now. I know pretty well all of the commonly known stuff, of which there's a LOT of good riding, along with some of the lesser known "secret" spots.

As for bike, I am currently on a 150/150mm 27.5 Trek Remedy 8. More than enough bike for 99% of Kamloops riding, and a decent ascender at that. I would recommend looking in the 140 range though for something a little more pedally if you plan on doing anything other than "climbing for the down".

PM me if you'd like to meet up to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the advice! Good to hear. Iíll have a look at some Transition bikes, seems like they are about the only name brand bike that makes them with long geometry for tall guys without going to 160+ mm travel.
    Iím sure Iíll take you up on your offer once I get a bike, Iíll be pathetically out of shape though at first so you may want to reconsider, lol.

mtbr member
    If you're considering a shorter travel, larger geometry bike I think the trek fuel 29er is a good option