Nelson & Rossland riding - couple of questions- Mtbr.com
    Just roll it......

Nelson & Rossland riding - couple of questions

Hi all,

I'm going to forgo my annual spring trip next year to Moab or Sedona in an effort to get further into the interior. This summer, I did a 9 day trip to Kamloops and Penticton with my gal and our doggies and rode some fantastic trails and met amazing people. Everyone we spoke to said: Go to Nelson!!

So, with that in mind, I'm going to organize a roadtrip for a guys' trip. When would the earliest (pending an average snowfall) that we'd be safe to ride up in the Nelson and Rossland areas? This is just a general timeframe so guys can start dropping subtle and not-so-subtle hints to wives and girlfriends about timeframes.... Of course, Seven Summits is already on our short list along with the Vein, Slabalanche, Placenta descenta, Paper Bag (all of Mark Holt's trails, really).

Would mid-May be remotely realistic or am I looking more like mid-June? Of course, trail reco's are always welcome too.

Thanks!
    EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 09-26-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    http://www.rosslandtrails.ca/

they have an open/closed status board that I believe follows the weather snowpack among other things.Good trail map at the site. When I was there this June it was nice, but we had a crappy snow year last winter.

formica

Just roll it......

Thanks for the tips.

I also plan to contact the Nelson cycling club for more info., but thought I'd start here first.

Lee, no insights to these areas??? I know you've ridden damn near everywhere in Canada!

Cheers,
    EB

dog's best friend
    May 2004

Try Here for trail info

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?c...&con=traillist

We just got back from a trip to the Kootenays and rode a low elevation trail to Deer Point at Christina Lake (on hwy 3 between Grand Forks and Castlegar). Very sweet and worthwhile if you are coming up from Seattle through Ossoyos. Got a good write up in Bike. Their comparison to the Flume Trail in Tahoe was a stretch. Might remind you of 3 Blind Mice near Penticton. Found some fast buff rides near New Denver and Nakusp. More XC than freeride though. We also have fond memories of the Dewdney Trail in Rossy. Rossland and Nelson tend to have wetter climates than the Okanagan. Vegetation is thicker and I think the trails would be wetter in spring weather. May might be a bit early for Seven Summits.
    Last edited by telebiker; 09-29-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Ned
    mtbr member
    Having lived there for a number of years... I would wait until July or later before I travelled from around here to ride the goods out there... which I did a coupla weeks ago in fact.

Go eat some tacos pescados at the Mazatlan. Juan and family ran a few food venues in Mex and Baja so they know their stuff...

Just roll it......

Thanks to all....

Much appreciated on the info. and the other trails recommendations.

Just heard back from Mark Holt at Sacred Ride in Nelson and he said I'd be safer in June but, to Ned and Telebiker's point, Seven Summits would be clear by early July during a typical snow year. Of course, another poor snow year (hopefully not!) would move those dates up a bit. So, as of now, we'll plan something for June or early July.

While I'm here, I may as well show off photos of our Merritt/Kamloops/Penticton road trip this summer. Many thanks to Dawgprimo who was a great host in Merritt and headspace J in Penticton. Confirms my belief that Canucks are some of the nicest folks (not to mention, skilled bikers) around.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6326567...ts/509747/show

Cheers,
    EB

Ned
    mtbr member
    Oh, I know the 7 Summits line is supposedly pretty prime but there's so much going on up there that you should take the time and priorize. Best idea is to be flexible and to get a top five of the moment from Holt before you go and have at 'er.

Bored in Redmond....

Paper Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned
    Go eat some tacos pescados at the Mazatlan. Juan and family ran a few food venues in Mex and Baja so they know their stuff...
    Juan needs to tone down the rap music blaring from his Ford F150. Leo's pizza and Greek kitchen off Baker Street is the best! Also you have to do the final crux at the bottom of boneyard. Go left around the large tree. When you get there you'll see what I mean.

Mountain Station a few days ago.

Gold Creek

Last edited by zdfg; 10-26-2005 at 03:31 AM.

Ned
    mtbr member
    You live there? You know Juan and familia?

Paper Street
    I am familiar with Juan and his little familia. I don't live there, but I travel a lot, get friendly with folks, and check things out. Mark Holt at Sacred Ride is a cool character. Very unassuming, humble, and friendly

Ned
    mtbr member
    Good on ya for travelling around. Life's too short to have moss growing in the crack of yer backside.

Most certainly, Nelson is quite enchanting to the naked eye. But, I think if you lived and worked or ran a business there for a while you might see it a little differently. You tend to notice those who work hard versus those who just live aimlessly. If you integrate yourself into the economy there then a whole lot of patterns emerge and become more visible to you... and you see things moreso for what they really are.

My point is that in spite of Juancito's Mexi rap, he and familia get hands down respect for working hard and bringing some culture into town...

Oh, and Mark's a good dude no question about it. Wish there more guys like him out there.

Paper Street
    I hear your vibe 100%. Case in point is the hostel full of transient loadies across the street from an elementary school. The RCMP calls them 'flakers'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Nelson Rocks...

I got out to Nelson a couple times this summer.

There are some great trails that you can ride from town. You can pick up a trail map in town. But when your looking at the Mountain Station map. The top of the trails are at the bottom of the map. I found it pretty confusing until I turned it upside down...

The trails in rossland are marked alot better and have more cross country options. Both are really worth hitting and are not too far apart about 1 hour drive.

The big campground out there, Kokanee Creek, is a little confusing. It is split in 2 the reservable side and the non reservable side. The side that is along the lake you have to reserve. You can just show up, but at the gate they only know 2 days worth of reservations. So potentially on day 3 the campground could be full and you have to move. The sites on the other side of the road are good to and there are some trails over there.

What else, O, COFFEE, good coffee there! There are a tonne of great coffee shops, our favorite was Oso Negro. Nelson has always been very good for the health food there. (I grew up in that area) There is a bake shop on the main street that has wheat free baking. Bread, pies, cookies everything. This may not be a big deal, but my girlfriend is allergic to wheat. There is more choice for her there than there is here in Calgary. Needless to say she is completely addicted to Nelson.

Enjoy!

Paper Street
    Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    What else, O, COFFEE, good coffee there! There are a tonne of great coffee shops, our favorite was Oso Negro. Nelson has always been very good for the health food there. (I grew up in that area) There is a bake shop on the main street that has wheat free baking. Bread, pies, cookies everything. This may not be a big deal, but my girlfriend is allergic to wheat.
    Enjoy!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by zdfg
    That pic rocks. I can't wait to hit that area next summer.

EB

Members who have read this thread: 0