Nelson BC! Trails and Campsite recommendations for 3 day trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Idea! Nelson BC! Trails and Campsite recommendations for 3 day trip

Hey guys!
    A group of us are planning a trip up from Vancouver on the July 1st long weekend and I'm looking for some local info.

There is a group of about 8 of us and we are thinking about camping. Any recommendations on decent cam sites near the trails? Ideally one with hot showers and some facilities. We'll camp in tents and cars so no RV sites needed.

Also, if we have 3 days to ride what trails would you guys recommend? We are all pretty advanced and ride a lot of Vancouver north shore / Whistler trails. It would be great to get a spread of more of the 'scenic' classic nelson trails and also some more techy / cool / interesting trails.

Thanks in advance!
    Dan
    Last edited by Danstar10; 04-01-2019 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    I've stayed at the Nelson City Campground. It's right in town, not big and pretty tight, but had showers, laundry and an shared indoor kitchen area. From there you can ride to Mountain Station or the Svododa road trails easily (or a short drive). You can walk to breweries and restaurants easily from here.

Outside town is Kokanee Creek PP. You can camp there with Nelson's "North Shore Trails" in the park. That's reference to being on the north shore of the lake and the trails being slabby and reminiscent of the riding you have around Van/Squamish etc. Guessing only primitive camping with pit washrooms and a water source. No showers, etc. It's also a little outside the city (20-25 minutes).

The other main riding area is Morning Mountain, 10-15 minutes west of town.

Unfortunately I haven't extensively ridden in Nelson to really recommend trails, routes, but what I did ride was fun. Nelson riding is definitely more like the 99 corridor in terms of difficulty (where as most of the Kootenay riding is a slight bit more mellow in general).
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Great thanks for the info CptSydor. I guess we can check in with local bike shops for trail info when we get there.