Nelson BC Trail suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nelson BC Trail suggestions

Me and a few friends are heading to Nelson and will have 4 days to ride. Wondering if anyone has any trail suggestions or tips.

We are hoping to do Bald Face, but I'm unsure if we can get a shuttle at this point. We have a truck, how is the road up to the top? How long is the typical drive up and descent down if we need to do 2 trips?

It looks like there is quite a bit of riding in the area. Any must do trail suggestions? We enjoy tech, rock features, and smaller jumps.

I saw a shuttle service for idaho peak an hour or so north, how is that descent? How longs the shuttle to the top, if anyone knows.

Thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Awesome area for riding!

As for Nelson; hit the bike shops for info.
    Get Trailforks app!
    But cell phone coverage can be dodge though!

I believe they have shuttles running from them in the afternoon.
    Try Sacred Ride or Gerricks for info.
    Not sure if it is every day but it is a good way to get to ride the good stuff!

Nelson - Oso Negro a must! Awesome riding and be ready to get beat up
    Giveout Creek is very good and specially Powerslave- Bears Den to Blewett, and Goldmember. The old Blewett ski hill has some awesome flowy jump trails now. Northshore - Newtsac, Doz Slabs, Hitman and Shannon Pass.
    Mountain Station is good if you don’t have a lot of time and want to get in a morning ride - Paperbag, Spacejunk, 719, Smiling Buddha.
    If you happen to camp out towards Whitewater there is a short trail called Wet Dreams this which is a good one which my Niece and her boyfriend and friends built. It kicked my ass……..

Baldface is good but I would phone them to find out info.
    I know when I did (3-4 years ago) the upper stuff and down Shannon Pass (awesome) we did it in the middle of the week and my sister shuttled us up but was given crap for not phoning before hand because they had construction deliveries going up and the road is quite narrow for a lot of traffic. Might not me a issue now........

In New Denver Idaho Peak is just a very cool ride the scenery up top is amazing!
    The lower part down to Silverton is ok.......Telebiker might be a better source for New Denver if he chimes in......

Not sure if this has been helpful........
    Have fun!
    Kevin
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Awesome area for riding!

As for Nelson; hit the bike shops for info.
    Get Trailforks app!
    But cell phone coverage can be dodge though!

I believe they have shuttles running from them in the afternoon.
    Try Sacred Ride or Gerricks for info.
    Not sure if it is every day but it is a good way to get to ride the good stuff!

Nelson - Oso Negro a must! Awesome riding and be ready to get beat up
    Giveout Creek is very good and specially Powerslave- Bears Den to Blewett, and Goldmember. The old Blewett ski hill has some awesome flowy jump trails now. Northshore - Newtsac, Doz Slabs, Hitman and Shannon Pass.
    Mountain Station is good if you don’t have a lot of time and want to get in a morning ride - Paperbag, Spacejunk, 719, Smiling Buddha.
    If you happen to camp out towards Whitewater there is a short trail called Wet Dreams this which is a good one which my Niece and her boyfriend and friends built. It kicked my ass……..

Baldface is good but I would phone them to find out info.
    I know when I did (3-4 years ago) the upper stuff and down Shannon Pass (awesome) we did it in the middle of the week and my sister shuttled us up but was given crap for not phoning before hand because they had construction deliveries going up and the road is quite narrow for a lot of traffic. Might not me a issue now........

In New Denver Idaho Peak is just a very cool ride the scenery up top is amazing!
    The lower part down to Silverton is ok.......Telebiker might be a better source for New Denver if he chimes in......

Not sure if this has been helpful........
    Have fun!
    Kevin
    Great info. Thanks.

How much riding in Nelson is on the civilized side? Non-shutlle AM-style riding? I want to bring my 16 year old daughter somewhere other than Fernie or Golden (we are from Calgary). I don't have a sense as to the technical difficulty in general in Nelson, but I suspect she may be a year or two away from that kind of riding. We just got back from a week in Fernie. The riding there was awesome and right up her alley.

Nelson would be great, given its deeeeeeeeep MTB history. I would love to go myself as it is one destination relatively close I have not yet been. But it would not be a good time if it's over her head.

Thanks.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Mountain Station is a good one to start on.
    The rides are not that long so it is a good gauge.
    Nelson can be more difficult then in other areas but I think that is slowly changing.
    Their signage can suck sometimes but luckily I had a niece and nephew that I rode with for a while that acted as trail guides when I used to show up on a holiday.......but now they are to busy for their old uncle.........LOL

They do sell a trail map in town that goes to the Nelson mountain bike club and it goes back into trail building......I believe!

Revelstoke is also a great option also!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Mountain Station is a good one to start on.
    The rides are not that long so it is a good gauge.
    Nelson can be more difficult then in other areas but I think that is slowly changing.
    Their signage can suck sometimes but luckily I had a niece and nephew that I rode with for a while that acted as trail guides when I used to show up on a holiday.......but now they are to busy for their old uncle.........LOL

They do sell a trail map in town that goes to the Nelson mountain bike club and it goes back into trail building......I believe!

Revelstoke is also a great option also!
    Thank you Sir.

I think she is still a year away from Revy. Macpherson would be fine, but Keystone and Frisby would be a bit of a grunt for her.

Connecting the dots, I suspect that Nelson might be a year or two away as well.

I think we will just stick with Fernie as our home away from home this summer. I may take her to Golden too. Apart from 7 and Kicking Horse, she would be fine there. Moonrakers, CBT and Mountain Shadows are all well within her reach.

We are all so lucky to have so many incredible destinations, all within a drive away. Just got back from an epic 5 hour outing in K Country. Awesome.

Thanks again.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    16 years old is not that young as my niece at 16 was pretty awesome rider at that age but then she did grow up in Nelson......now she kicks my ass and she is 22 years old..... cross country running star at the U of L. Not that I hear much from her much now......LOL

K country is very very nice!
    Love riding there but don't get out there much........
    Last time I was out to Alberta was 1997........not very good for a guy born and raised in Calgary and Okotoks.......LOL
    But the riding there is amazing!

But I can't really complain where I live either and Revy-New Denver-Nelson-Rossland is planned for Sept hopefully!
    Funny thing I have not hit Fernie yet as it is so far East and for me I don't need to drive that far when I am driving past so much good stuff.....but one day I will hit Fernie and do some more riding in the Crownest Pass area!

Cheers,
    Kevin
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I rode Mountain Station and Morning Mountain areas when I was in Nelson.

The terrain at Morning Mountain is less steep, the climbing is easier, and there's a machine built flow trail (Turnstyles). It's all really fun, and likely friendlier terrain.

For myself, I loved the riding at Mountain Station. I did Skirt, Eli Slim and TNT and all were awesome. But it's all pretty steep. The blue trails ride more like blacks. The climbing is also straight up a logging road. Someone more timid might find the riding there to be a lot.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I rode Mountain Station and Morning Mountain areas when I was in Nelson.

The terrain at Morning Mountain is less steep, the climbing is easier, and there's a machine built flow trail (Turnstyles). It's all really fun, and likely friendlier terrain.

For myself, I loved the riding at Mountain Station. I did Skirt, Eli Slim and TNT and all were awesome. But it's all pretty steep. The blue trails ride more like blacks. The climbing is also straight up a logging road. Someone more timid might find the riding there to be a lot.
    Good info. Thanks. I want to hit Nelson bad. But I may wait for next year with her. I think she is still a year away. If I go this year, it will be kidless.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info Dawgprimo. We've been up here for a few days now and hit a lot of the trails you mentioned. To much here for a 6 day vacation.

Baldface was awesome and in great shape. Cherry Bowl was steep and loose as was Shannon Pass. Great times drifting down the mountain, so many steeps where holding on and pointing in the best direction is all you can do.

Newtsac on the Northshore was awesome. One not mentioned there is Morning Sickness which has been my favorite slab trail thus far, tons of fun rolls all of which have lots of grip.

At mountain station we have only been able to do paper bag, which was really fun, but pretty blown out.

We have also been able to hit some of morning mountain. For beginner riders, I would suggest a shuttle up to "upper bottoms" linked to "bottoms up" (up/down trails). My wife seemed to enjoy it and was never over her head. For anyone who likes steep, Gimp is a must, one of favorite trails so far,-34% grade straight down. Bedframe was also really cool. It had some rock and steeps and a few smaller drops (and a Grizzly Bear).

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Few pics from our trip so far. Lots of great terrain and views.

high pivot witchcraft
    WOW!!!!! Great Pics!!!!!

Riding looks stellar. Thanks for posting.