Need Vancouver Island Advice- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

Need Vancouver Island Advice

Wow..didn't realize this regional thread was here! I placed this in the general forum but I shouldv'e put it here instead...sorry for the double post.

My wife and I are going to Vancouver Island, BC this Summer for some camping, hiking and of course some biking. I consider myself an intermediate/advanced but she is definitely a beginner/intermediate on the trail. I have a packet from the Chamber of Commerce but there is so much info I thought I'd try and narrow things down by asking people who've been there or who frequent the island.

What I'm looking for is: easy to intermediate singletrack, doubletrack mixed in with some scenic fire road type routes.

What I'm NOT looking for is: North Shore type of riding - i.e. towering teeter-totters, planks spanning gaping chasms, super slimy root strewn death climbs or any other type of life-threating or marriage-ending situation.

I know that even many beginner/intermediate trails will have their more challenging sections that my wife may have to walk but I'd like to minimize the portaging(and cussing) if I could. I'm sure we'll do the ever-so-easy Galloping Goose Trail one day just to stretch our legs and take in the scenery so that one is already on the list. So having said all that, do you guys have any inside info for us? Any additional advice on cool campsites, hikes or even touristy things to see would be great.

thanks - Chip

Nov 2004
    Hey Chipper,

Here are a few recommendations:

Victoria area; Hartland/ Mt Work. All kinds of trails from easy to North Shore. Visit the Simba (South Island Mountain Bike Association) web site for more info.

Duncan; I found some great intermediate trails on Mt.Tzouhelem. Head to Mt Prevost for more serious freeriding. Check out www.iguanaranch.com for stay and play freeride packages.

Comox/ Courtney; has a great variety of trails from riverside runs along the Puntlidge to freeride challenges above Cumberland. Visit Dodge City Cycles in Cumberland for the goods. There is a hostel near the bike shop.

Campbell River; some great trails in and near Snowden Demo forest just northwest of town. Some great beginner to intermediate loops can be strung together for a day or two of riding. Camping nearby. Trail map available from the local bike shop.

Also go to www.pedalhounds.com for the latest local info.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by telemiker; 03-08-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Gear Whore
    telemiker had some great info, the dump (Heartland) has everything...from more extreme to blue runs. I am sure that if you post on pedalhounds you will find someone to show you around.

In our links area we have a lint of what I hope are all the shops on the Island sorted by community and lots of useful Island links. I hear that there are some amazing epic rides up Island (hope to ride some of them this summer)....contact the local shops for the best info. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I hope you and your wife enjoy your trip to the Island....it is an amazing place.

Mar 2005
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm really pumped about coming up there!