Need Planning Help!! - Where to ride and camp in Squamish??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need Planning Help!! - Where to ride and camp in Squamish??

I'd like to try some of the trails in Squamish, since I usually just drive through on my way to Whistler.

Seems like there are a lot of trails there to ride. I'm trying to find a place to camp for Saturday night, and a good list of trails for all-mountain/freeride type riding, with some XC thrown in for good measure.

The Alice Lake campground appears completely booked. Does anyone in Squamish have a backyard available?

Any advice, useful links, would be very helpful. It's hard to plan a trip based off Google search results, so I'm hoping for some local knowledge or experience that folks are willing to share.

Thanks!

ups and downs
    Lots of trails to choose from (some with video clips)

http://www.tourismsquamish.com/what-...ountain-biking

and there's a listing of other camping options

http://www.tourismsquamish.com/lodging/camping-rv
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Used to be a nice spot to camp up the Paradise Valley Road, just past the bridge. Or just go up any random dirt road and pick a spot. It's still a free country.

Don't leave a mess, don't burn the place down.

The heavy duty side of XC is what's worth riding in Squamish. The FR/DH is good there, but there's really not that much of it. If you can turn pedals, there's a ton of killer singletrack awaiting you.

Maps at either shop, but I'm a Tantalus guy myself. Ask for local advice there, and put Crouching Monkey, Hidden Squirrel on the list of trails to hit.

@adelorenzo
    We bought the local trail map, talked to some people, and managed to make our way around pretty well. We did XC, gnarly XC, and shuttle-access stuff. Squamish is pretty awesome and seems to have it all.

No idea on camping, sorry.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Alice lake is one of my favorite places to camp. Trails leave right from the campsite so no complaints.

Just make sure you make reservations.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Well, just got back from my Squampton trip. Sick trails up there! The locals were super helpful.

1st run: P-Nuts Wide Ride to Half Nelson, (hike a bike), Pseudo Tsunga to Deliverance.
    Then we waited to find a shuttle.
    2nd run: 19th Hole, Homebrew, then through some dusty clear-cut section to end up at the bottom again.

Awesome, awesome trails. Beautiful country.

Sunday, we just hit Fromme on the way home, and did 7th Secret, Grannies to Crippler, and then just got lost till we popped out on Dempsey Rd (Demspey Trail probably)..

Packed it up, and called it a weekend.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I finally got to spend some time in Squamish. Definitely worth the trip.

I should add....these trails really made my V-tach shine. It just doesn't get used like it should, down here in Washington. It was made for B.C. V-tach with the 888 made it easy to hit just about everything. Just point and go...the bike will do the rest!

Here's a couple pics from the trip. Not to great..just some random shots of a couple features. I'm not in either picture, since I'm holding the camera.

Members who have read this thread: 0