Need advice on second bike for North Shore- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Need advice on second bike for North Shore

Hello - looking for advice on a second bike. My primary bike is a 180/170 with a coil - great for shuttles and the park. Looking for a second bike that is a great climber, can handle blacks on the shore, and would be good for long long mixed terrain days bikepacking.

Looking at:
    Tallboy - alum is affordable - carbon isn't.
    Ibis ripley - slightly more affordable carbon
    Process 134 - not the best climber?
    Norco optic - very affordable carbon
    Marin?

I have a ton of parts to swap out so I'm only comparing frames. Don't care at all about spec.

Any thoughts? Other bikes to consider? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Revel Rascal is worth a look...I've ridden the Tallboy, Ripley and now the Rascal. The Ripley climbs the best and is no slouch going down either with the right tire. It's also pretty snappy when you want it to be. The Rascal may not climb as well as the Ripley but coming down, it's the best rear suspension I've ever ridden (I've also demo'd the Revel Rail, a 27.5 170/165 bike that is PLUSH!! but I digress...), it really shines when there's repeated chatter and/or brake bumps. We did 11K' of shuttle this weekend on Mt Wilson and I rode the Rascal because my HD5 wasn't ready, everybody else was on 180mm YT Capras and Yeti 150's with coils so that tells you the terrain. I've previously ridden it on a Ripmo and Tracer. I had my fastest times ever on the Rascal.

Buy the way, the female that won the AZT (Arizona Trail) 750 bike-packing rode a Rascal and had the 3rd fastest time ever, male or female, from what I was told.

Bonus...I can't speak for Canadian pricing but in the US, a Ripley frame is $2999. You can get a Rascal *with* a RS Pike and CC headset for $3499 but can find dealers doing it for less than the Ripley frame alone.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Where?!? I can't find the Rascal for any less than $30 cheaper than the Ibis. US or Canada. Also - are there working dev's for this place anymore? Mobile site is unusable 100.

mtbr member
    Even direct from Revel at full MSRP, the Rascal is $200 less than the Ripley at full MSRP. As far as what dealer, all I can suggest is that you contact the dealer directly and ask for his best price. I'm getting the new T1000 silver Rascal, a Pike Ultimate and CC headset for $2965 before tax.

No sure what you're talking about about "working devs" or "mobile site unusable 100" which I'm guessing is slang for a full sentence?
    Carpe Diem!!