nead vancouver area advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

nead vancouver area advice

I'm driving from montana to the greater vancouver area next week, mostly solo, and could use some advice on where to ride and stay. From what I can tell the mt fromme area is about my speed: steep AM/FR and I'd kinda prefer to pedal up without eating shuttle-truck dust (or mud whatever). Planning to spend a day or two in N vancouver, a day or two in squamish, and a maybe a day or two around whistler. I've looked around the web and have a pretty good grasp of the situation, but have a few questions:

Is there any good free camping in any of those areas? Sounds like a no-go in N van so is there a cheap motel anyone can recommend?

Is there a map available for the squamish trails?

Can anyone recommend some good epic xc-type rides in the area? I'd like to get as close to alpine without snow. Is the Lillooet (sorry about the spelling) area worth checking out this time of year.

Thanks in advance!

ups and downs
    You can pickup the Squamish trail maps at Mountain Equipment Co-op in North Vancouver.

June is one of the rainier months here, especially on the North Shore at elevation. For example, the weather forecast for Vancouver tomorrow is 6-10mm and on the North Shore more like 20mm.

Pretty much just an RV park in North Vancouver, and only a couple of cheaper motels. There's a Holiday Inn situated half way between Fromme and Seymour just off the #1 highway once you cross the Second Narrows bridge. Most of the rest of the hotel/motel options are on Capilano Road closer to the Lion's Gate bridge. There are a couple of cheaper motels (The Avalon and the Lynnwood Inn). Use at your own risk.

Whistler and Squamish are chock full of epic rides. You could do the Test of Metal route in Squamish. Someone had just posted that the higher parts of Comfortably Numb in Whistler had snow still. But that leaves lots of the non-Bike Park trails in Whistler that are ridable.

Check out Gutsploder.net for some North Shore maps and trail photos (click on the green dots for photos along the trails).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Lillooet area is nice right now but you'll need the local hookup to find the trails.

Lots of maps for squish. New map just out last week so get hold of Tantalus Bike for that

You can camp for free right now in Squish but just be circumspect.

Quote Originally Posted by ep-gnar
    I'm driving from montana to the greater vancouver area next week, mostly solo, and could use some advice on where to ride and stay. From what I can tell the mt fromme area is about my speed: steep AM/FR and I'd kinda prefer to pedal up without eating shuttle-truck dust (or mud whatever). Planning to spend a day or two in N vancouver, a day or two in squamish, and a maybe a day or two around whistler. I've looked around the web and have a pretty good grasp of the situation, but have a few questions:

Is there any good free camping in any of those areas? Sounds like a no-go in N van so is there a cheap motel anyone can recommend?

Can anyone recommend some good epic xc-type rides in the area? I'd like to get as close to alpine without snow. Is the Lillooet (sorry about the spelling) area worth checking out this time of year.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by LeeL; 05-28-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thanks in advance!
    As mentioned, Tantalus bike shop will have new maps,of note just recieved an email, Carpenter"s Bridge is closed due to recient erosion, This is a staple bridge for XC riders comming from the Highlands area to ride the Plunge/Hoods n the Woods etc trails.No word on timeline.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the advice you guys. Still wrapping up loose ends but heading out tomorrow and riding in Bellingham on the way. Weather's looking iffy but what can you do? Lee: saw some pics from your MT trip - looks like you hit the goods!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OK, ended up changing plans given the forecast upon departure (thanks for the reality check rocky!). Found good weather and rode some choice trails in utah, california, oregon and washington. Heading to the shore tomorrow afternoon then camping around squamish tues/weds/thursday or so. Gonna ride lifts at whistler for a day, ride squish, then hit the shore again on my way back down friday. If anyone wants to hook up for a ride PM me - I would love some company and will be well stocked with beer.

mtbr member
    Heading to the shore tomorrow afternoon then camping around squamish tues/weds/thursday or so. Gonna ride lifts at whistler for a day, ride squish, then hit the shore again on my way back down friday. If anyone wants to hook up for a ride PM me - I would love some company and will be well stocked with beer.
    Not sure if you'll see this in time...
    If you're planning on riding whistler, and you're in the area for Tues -> Thurs I'd highly suggest hitting it on either today or tommorow. Thursday is Canada day and a stat holiday for most employers, so I imagine that whistler will be much busier on Thursday than any day earlier in the week.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay!
    Everypony loves riding bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0