Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..

Hi guys,
    Sorry if this has been asked before but ........ I'm coming to Vancouver in August for a couple of years and ride a lot here, England UK.
    As the part of the UK I'm in is flat I mainly ride xc on a light weight hardtail with 100mm front shox.
    So my questions are ...
    A .will I get away with using this bike ? Is there plenty of usable trails without needing full suspension? .
    B. Should I change frame for a more relaxed geometry. Ie a trail frame, (haven't got the funds for a full sus)
    C. Can anyone recommend any goods clubs I can contact when I get over to show me the way ?
    D. Anything I haven't figured on ?
    Cheers guys

C.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

ups and downs
    A. On the plus you will already be used to rainfall levels that the North Shore gets. There's some trails in North Vancouver that a 100mm travel hardtail XC bike are suitable for, but it is a small percentage of the total km's of trails. Have a look at the number of green and blue trails (some blue trails are XC hardtail friendly, but not all - some are blue AM/freeride trails). Squamish is 45 minutes north and has tonnage of XC hardtail trails. North Shore Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

B. A hardtail with a 120-140mm fork and 67-68 deg head angle would be a lot more versatile, a 27.5 or 27.5+ might be even more fun. Roots and wood bridges are plentiful and can be greasy when wet. So sticky rubber tires are important. For the most part the trails survive wet riding well, a lot of vegetable matter in the soil, so the mud is not thick and gooey.

C. NS Ride is one local mtb club, many of the local shops have organized rides as well. Different Bikes, Lynn Valley Bikes, John Henry Bikes. Also Endless Biking has guided bike rides/tours available, which might be a great introduction to get a sense of where to ride and what the trail range is like.

D. Hopefully you have some living space already scoped, real estate is expensive and rental property is in short supply.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply, the 120-140 fork and 67/68 deg is kinda what I was thinking about. Currently riding a 29er so hope to just swap bits over. I'm guessing second hand parts are fairly widely available there as there is so much biking going on ?
    I may wait till I get there and see what I can pick up, unfortunately at 6ft 4 with very long legs I'm limited to the short supply of xl frames.
    Should be staying in North vancouver, the wife's work is sorting the housing.
    Can't wait to get over there and have some fun... so flat here lol

mtbr member
    My friends who have ridden the shore say to never buy a used bike from that area, just sayin.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I ride the Shore at least twice weekly. Most bikes on the Shore are 150-160mm travel all mountain bikes, rare are short travel bikes and it is actually very rare to see a hardtail. If you are planning on riding the Shore regularly, I would recommend looking into investing in an AM bike. The North Shore is mainly up and down, a climb up for some fun on the way down. Saying all this, every rider is different and if you can handle a hardtail, why not?

mtbr member
    While 160mm bikes are the norm on the shore, I have friends who ride all the hardest trails on hardtails. Although they have a 160mm front-fork, I wouldn't do some trails with a 100mm. SO you might get away with just upgrading your fork.

Check out NSRide | The largest mountain bike club in North Vancouver for a local club. Although if you are coming in august, the clubs regular season ends in September, so you will be catching the tail end for 2016.

ups and downs
    There's still trails to ride with XC bikes, and still lots of old school riders who ride hardtails, it's just that you have a much more limited trail selection, you're not going to be riding them on the steep and technical black diamond and double black diamond trails with the drops and jumps (and likely will never be tackling Cypress Mountain, just parts of the Fromme and Seymour trail networks). And you will likely have to adjust your expectations about trail surfaces. A blue intermediate trail here would be rated a red or black diamond in other parts of the world.

Here's a few photos and a video of Sticks and Stones on Mt.Seymour which is part of the high school race series course. It's a blue AM/XC trail loop.

Sticks and Stones Mountain Bike Trail - Mount Seymour, North Vancouver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFIeXmxW2U

There's 3 mountains, each with their own terrain personality, Seymour, Fromme and Cypress. If you're living in North Vancouver, you will likely be closer to Fromme or Seymour. Maybe within riding distance of numerous trail heads. The thing that will be a shock is the elevation change, the shore goes from sea level to 1400m elevation at the top of the mountains, with a lot of the trails between 300-800m elevation. There are numerous less technical trails in the flatter bits and along the Seymour river valley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2014_1111new0039.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2014_1111new0060.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2014_1111new0064.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2014_1111new0075.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2014_1111new0089.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 06-21-2016 at 06:40 PM.

ups and downs
    Here's another popular blue XC trail, the Circuit 8 trail loops, not a lot of elevation change, but lots of roots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2015_0301new0004.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2015_0301new0006.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2015_0301new0008.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2015_0301new0009.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2015_0301new0011.jpg  

ups and downs
    This is the green middle loop of Circuit 8, easily ridable on a 26" XC hardtail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-dscf7735.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-dscf7738-002.jpg  

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-dscf7742.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sounds like I may need to persuade the wife to let me spend some money lol can't stretch to a full sus yet , maybe next season. I'll look around over here first for some second hand frame and forks, they might not be ridden as hard as gear over there.

mtbr member
    Preface this with saying haven't ever been to or ridden the N.Shore, but can give some advice on a possible HT solution for such trails. If HT is all you can do, then something that fits a decent width tyre is a must, preferably a 29x2.4" or even better for cush a B+ 2.8". Looked on CRC and saw they have XL NP Scout 290 in stock for 349 pounds, the geo and sizing on it would suit you well, only thing you might need to upgrade is your rear wheel to do 142x12. I personally ride a Banshee Paradox and recently gave it a go with 650B+and will not go back to normal 29" wheels/tyres for a HT on real trails, just beat you up too much. If you could find a deal on a steel frame that would probably give a bit more compliance.

Nukeproof Scout 290 Frame 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks lynx. I have spent a few hours today looking , there plenty of choice in the 650b catergory and limited in the 29. Whilst I can stretch to frame and forks I hadn't bargained on changing the wheels also.
    I think I have a short list of 29er frames so shall start my search.
    Sorry for a numb question but does the riding still carry on through winter...? or is it confined to the lower levels due to the elements, it the UK we just go straight through the winter, just get lights and waterproofs. We don't get any snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Regardless if it's possible to ride on those trails, you are going to get tired of your hardtail real quick up there. Spending money on yet another hardtail is a waste of money. Save that money instead to go towards a future trail bike. Shoot, just buy a used 26" trail bike. Best bang for their buck. They go for dirt cheap these days because people think that slightly larger wheels are going to somehow teleport them into stardom. I'm pretty sure the north shore was built specifically for 26"... not sure if you can even ride it on larger wheels.

ups and downs
    In a good year the winter is mild enough to ride all year, snow might stay above 500m and then about every 10 years or so we have a winter like this, in 2008/9 this happened all the way down to sea level. That didn't melt until April. Ironically 2010, the year of the winter Olympics, snow was in short supply all winter. The last couple of years have had minimal snow down low, and a lot up above 500m.

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2009_0104new0008.jpg

The snow line is usually well defined

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-webcam-dec-21-2015.jpg

And of course you can ride in the snow

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-snow-bike.jpg

When they talk about rain in Vancouver, they always reference Vancouver airport, so if it is described as light showers, that usually means we're getting a lot of rain on the north shore. Or if there's a chance of rain in Vancouver, it will rain in North Vancouver. Every once in a while the mud is deeper than it looks, but still not generally gooey.

Moving to North of Vancouver, bike advice please ?..-2013_0303new0006.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 06-25-2016 at 04:55 PM.