Mountain Biking Honeymoon- Mtbr.com
    Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Mountain Biking Honeymoon

My soon-to-be wife agreed that our honeymoon could be spent riding bikes. Yes, I am a lucky man.

We are going to start by doing the Kettle Crest, some rides on Hall Mountain (recommended by some aquaintances in Grand Forks) in Washington, and maybe the 7 Summits; and then spend a week in Kelowna.

Any recommendations for the Kelowna area? Or any area on the way up??? We are also willing to drive a couple hours out of the way to get a ride in. (FWIW. We love rocks, 2-3 ft step downs/up, roots.)

Thanks in advance

Visi
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    I can help you out with Kelowna. Sort of depends on dates as to what's available for riding. Right now the high elevation is still snowed in. July and August the alpine opens up while the lower trails are often too hot for riding, and September is always the best.

The 3 Blind Mice area, Smith Creek, Sheep Rocks, Derenzy/Rock Oven, and McDougall Rim are good choices for AM style. For more FR riding, then Gillard, Postill, SilverStar, and Powers Creek are awesome.

In general, there are more choices for light bikes down around Penticton, and bigger bikes in the Kelowna/Vernon zone.

Feel free to email me for more details and advice about trails, local food, and accommodations.

@adelorenzo
    Take a day and ride Silver Star bike park. Wife and I had an amazing time there last year, we're going back again this fall. Huge, fast berms, table tops... Pricey, especially if you rent a DH bike and gear, but totally worth it IMHO.

JSmoke - I'll hit you up around the end of July for info. We should be around there Aug. 7-15.

Anthony, thanks for reminding me about Silvar Star.

Thanks for sharing. I both owe you at least a beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are driving from Rossland to Kelowna take some time to ride the Spooner Creek trail on the west side of Christina Lake. In typical BC fashion it's a logging road climb (9km) followed by a ripper downhill and this one goes right to the lakeshore. A post-ride skinny dip is mandatory on a hot day. Ask for directions at Wildways, you'll find the store as you enter town from the east.

mtbr member
    Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for that. Getting accom. at that time is a bit tough. You should be on the lookout now. I have some contacts for longer (ie - one week) rentals of primo holiday homes. Otherwise you may be outta luck for a nice spot for that time frame.

I also have a couple coming out from the UK that week, who are willing to join forces for some riding. I think they're a bit more on the gravity fed side of the game (they're riding Bullits), but they're not hard core or anything. You're welcome to jump in to that tour if you like.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Welcome to the club...and congratulations. My wife to be not only went for the Whistler trip but she even saw the wisdom of buying a more suitable bike and will have a nice new Canfield to romp on...not bad for a 57 year old school teacher who has only ridden a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    My soon-to-be wife agreed that our honeymoon could be spent riding bikes. Yes, I am a lucky man.

We are going to start by doing the Kettle Crest, some rides on Hall Mountain (recommended by some aquaintances in Grand Forks) in Washington, and maybe the 7 Summits; and then spend a week in Kelowna.

Any recommendations for the Kelowna area? Or any area on the way up??? We are also willing to drive a couple hours out of the way to get a ride in. (FWIW. We love rocks, 2-3 ft step downs/up, roots.)

Thanks in advance

Visi
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

Johnny -

The mother-in-law hooked us up with accomodations. The wife-to-be has a Trek EX8 and a custom 29er FS. I have a Bullit and a BLT. We may be in for a day or two of gravity, even if I have to rent her a bike.

Dave - I will definitely check it out.

Crossup - Thanks. I wouldn't have it any other way. Sounds like you wouldn't either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My soon-to-be wife agreed that our honeymoon could be spent riding bikes. Yes, I am a lucky man...
    I second that. Congrats!

Bullits....

I used to ride my Bullit as an XC bike when I learned my Blur had a crack. Anyway, I am married, and we are ready to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Congrats on the knot tying....next Friday for me then Whistler the following Friday. Should be most excellent since the wife to be loves her new Canfield and now she has enough bike to make it fun and safer. She has also given in and allowed me to pickup serious knee/skin guards and a full upper armor setup for her. To bad she wont go the full face helmet(yet?!). I think she gonna love the downhill scene...
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

Well, it looks like Kelowna is out and New Denver and Revelstoke is in. JS: I still owe you a beer. I just gotta figure a way to pay up!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Planning to do Keystone Standard Basin in Revy? It''s a must do!

Check in with Rob at the Wilds of Canada bike shop in New Denver for Idaho Peak rides. Alamo is in good condition and Wakefield is a scenic brake burner.

Tele -

That is the plan, as recommended by Lee & Sharon. They also said to get a hold of you!!! Something about offering beer??

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Beer!? Did someone say beer?

Will guide or shuttle in New Denver for beer.

Beer...and I even drink single malts...if you are into that.

Food would also be consumed...by necessity.

mtbr member
    Well, it looks like Kelowna is out and New Denver and Revelstoke is in. JS: I still owe you a beer. I just gotta figure a way to pay up!
    Drop by another time! You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    right now i plan on hitting a ride in new denver on friday aug 13 and hitting keystone standard the next day. aug 14. are you going to be inthe area than?

tim

Telebiker - Thanks for the hospitality!!!

Tim208 - Sorry. We were on a different schedule.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    You're very welcome. It was great meeting you both. All the best for the future.

I love showing off the goods in New Denver and thanks for the beers.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was out further west on the Sunshine Coast. Just got back, and heading out to the Koots next week. Lets see some pics of the trip!

Ugh....I gotta reduce down images to do that!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0