Mountain bike traps trigger arrest of North Vancouver woman- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Mountain bike traps trigger arrest of North Vancouver woman

Mountain bike traps trigger arrest of North Vancouver woman - British Columbia - CBC News

A 64-year-old woman is facing criminal charges for allegedly setting traps on some popular North Vancouver mountain bike trails.
    Police said she was arrested after local mountain bikers caught her on hidden video cameras placing dangerous obstacles across the trails on Mt. Fromme.
    The mountain bikers first became concerned about the problem in August when they noticed that someone was placing logs, branches and rocks across the Quarry and Lower Skull trails every week.
    Two mountain bikers used a wildlife camera to capture images of a woman dragging obstructions onto some popular mountain bike trails. (Walleater)

Two bikers decided to buy and install some security cameras on the trails in the hopes of capturing an image of the culprit.
    Police said the woman, whose identity has yet to be released, was arrested on Sunday at the head of Quarry Trail.
    She appeared before a justice of the peace and was released on the condition that she not to go near any biking trails, said police.
    Mountain biker Paulo Costa descends a section of Lower Skull Trail on North Vancouver's Mt. Fromme. (Paulo Costa/YouTube)

North Vancouver RCMP Cpl. Richard De Jong said police have recommended Crown prosecutors lay criminal charges of setting a trap and mischief to property.
    "These are serious charges. These are public trails and one should not interfere with the lawful enjoyment of the trails and set up traps or obstacles to potentially endanger the lives of people using them," De Jong said in a statement released on Wednesday.
    "Fortunately no one was seriously hurt or injured in these incidents."
    The woman is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 4.
    Police said the videos captured by the bikers would not be released to the public.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Incredible. I thought BC was a paradise free of such lunatic criminals.

ups and downs
    Full to the brim with lunatics, and some of them are criminals. There's been quite a few trail vigilantes on the North Shore over the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Incredible. I thought BC was a paradise free of such lunatic criminals.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Full to the brim with lunatics, and some of them are criminals. There's been quite a few trail vigilantes on the North Shore over the past 20 years.
    I thought you had to be a lunatic to live in Vancouver Who knew???

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    A detachment family home there is about million dollars...

ups and downs
    Completely bonkers real estate market, as demonstrated by this Crack Shack or Mansion?

Quote Originally Posted by ducimus View Post
    A detachment family home there is about million dollars...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What is with all of the secrecy? Just standard procedure in BC? Seems like a strong deterrent to other jackass adults would include publishing their identity and the video. Although I could see not releasing the video if they are going to pursue criminal charges.

ups and downs
    Here's the NSMBA statement about the situation

Trail Sabotage on Fromme Mountain | NSMBA

mtbr member
    I've found rocks and branches that seem to be deliberately placed where bikers cannot see them. I move them and notify the responsible agency's enforcement branch whether it be the county sheriff or a ranger. The advice to photograph the culprit and report their activity is golden if you're lucky enough to encounter them.

However, each one of us that screams past hikers shouting "on yer left" at the last second has some responsibility for triggering these nuts. Get a light little bell and use it well before passing. You'll generate good publicity rather than anger. Unless, of course, the hiker has ear buds in - then he's earned a scare.

We had a cyclist ride into a steel fence post laid across part of one of our MUPs a while back. Cost him a kneecap and a lot of missed work. No guilty party found yet.

ups and downs
    Years ago I was out for a ride on a trail early in the morning, like 6AM, and it was a secluded, tight and slow section of trail and I was coming up behind a hiker about 100' ahead of me, so I rang the classic "brrrrring-brrrrring" style bell on the bars to give him lots and lots of warning and I surprised the guy so bad I thought he was going to have a heart attack. And he wasn't wearing headphones. I suppose it would have been worse if I got within 10' of him and then said "on your left", but I've always had that moment etched in my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    However, each one of us that screams past hikers shouting "on yer left" at the last second has some responsibility for triggering these nuts. Get a light little bell and use it well before passing. You'll generate good publicity rather than anger. Unless, of course, the hiker has ear buds in - then he's earned a scare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Very classy response by the NSMBA, in my opinion. At the same time, this is pretty serious offense, intentional plot and actions that could knowingly injure other trail users. Hiding behind the cloak of secrecy only emboldens these kinds of nuts who do this stuff in secret thinking no one is looking so they can get away with hurting someone. the other trail user groups should also want the person exposed for the very fact that is shows that it is an isolated nut job. This one main reason why in the states people are so distrustful of cops--the unions work to death to try and hide the bad ones.

Anyway, I live in the states so it is none of my business, but in general it is a better deterrent if the identities are publicized.

ups and downs
    Her name will part of the public record when charges are laid, so it will be in the regular media. I hope she gets sentenced to community service on NSMBA trail days, since she seems to be energetic enough to vandalize trails, she's strong enough to work on them.

Like any zealot (or road rager - 'cuz this is just another version of road rage), some people whip them selves into a sort of internal frenzy that makes them believe they're on a mission from the little Voice in their Head, and they believe that they can do anything and justify any consequence to other people. That's usually a sign of narcissism and sociopathy (certainly a tremendous lack of empathy).

ups and downs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the link. For someone who didn't do anything she is sure upset. Reckon I'd be worried too if I knew though cameras could tell a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Funny how cowardly acts are usually commited by cowardly people.

ups and downs
    deeper seated doo doo

The Saboteur's Husband - NSMB.com

This still has the possibility of developing into something that affects established trail access when 10 year old stuff gets brought up. All the festering crankiness and unresolved problems from NIMBY types will just be back in the face of District Council. Good thing it's not an election year.

And then the mainstream press reports on that new info.

Accused trail saboteurs had been 'trying to destroy' mountain bikers' structures on Mount Fromme going back a decade
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-29-2015 at 03:11 PM.

ups and downs
    And it is bringing out the crazy in people

Hiker Assaults Mountain Biker on Fromme

ups and downs
    And the saga continues...

The Hiker and Rider Debacle - NSMB.com