Mid March Whistler/Squamish- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Mid March Whistler/Squamish

Hello friends of the north! Iím looking at possibly doing a work tested meeting in Whistler in mid March...any thoughts on theoretical riding opportunities along the Sea to Sky corridor during that time period? Iím assuming most of Whistler is gonna be snowed in still...would Cut Yer Bars be ďrideable?Ē Squamish or Pemby?

It is a ski conference, with time set aside mid day for such snowy activities...problem is, my feet are 18s, so havenít done skiing since I was 16, when feet were size 16...

ups and downs
    It's an El Nino winter, so there's a fair chance that the lower trails around Squamish will be clear of snow, and if Whistler is rideable in March the skiing won't be so great, so riding might be the only choice. There's around 2000' of elevation difference between Squamish and Whistler. There have been winters where lower trails around Whistler were rideable early (and the complaints of season pass lift ticket holders were loud in the air), but them seem to be getting a bunch of snow this year.

Here's the link to Squamish webcams https://squamish.ca/discover-squamish/webcams/

and Whistler webcams https://www.whistler.com/webcams/
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Like he said Whistler no (lots of snow now and normally more like mid April that stuff starts clearing up) squamish very likely, some trails are clear now in squamish. Pemberton probably some stuff too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Awesome! Thanks guys! Is there much in squamish that holds up well in the wet? I find most rooty and slabby trails pretty sketchy in the wet...

mtbr member
    Yeah quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It looks like most of the bike rental places in Squamish donít do rentals in March...are there any exceptions any of you locals know of?

mtbr member
    Try
    Giant/bike Co whistler
    Bikinginsquamish.com
    Coastal culture shop in Whistler

And maybe emailing the shops in squamish, Republic bikes, Tantalus, and corsa
    And I rode today in squamish it was 100% perfect, better conditions than summer

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Found an enduro rental with Biking...thanks! On the seemingly increasing probability these snow conditions persist, are there any fat bike rentals in the corridor? I couldnít find anything definite online for Squamish in March...maybe Bikeco in Whistler does fat bikes?

mtbr member
    Pretty sure pemby bike Co, probably whistler too. Not tons of great spots to ride them I've never really gotten into it. I actually rented them from the Patagonia store a few times but I don't think they have them anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Cool thanks! Crossing my fingers for a Pineapple Express or two in Squamish before then....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Any prognostications on trail conditions might be next Sat-Tues? Looks like forecast calls for warmer highs by midweek, but maybe not so much rain...was really hoping to be able to do some Rupert, Angry pirate, Half Nelson, but if anything is ok conditions that would be sweet...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Lol...Angry Midget I mean...

mtbr member
    Getting closer.. Hasn't snowed more but it's been cold and not melting much. I'm not sure about the trails you listed but there's quite a few reports on trail forks of other trails clearing up. Personally I haven't been riding in awhile so no first hand reports from me, might try Wednesday or Thursday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rupert/LOA very icy right now, Half Nelson?Angry Midget under a foot of snow at the top and super icy all the way down... not really rideable

ups and downs
    From SORCA's Facebook page on March 9...

SORCA - Squamish Off-Road Cycling Association

The sun is shining, the daylight is getting longer, the birds are chirping and the trails are..... very fragile right now. Please take a moment to educate yourself on the impact that riding can have on the trails during this thaw. We know you're likely thinking 'but it's just me and a few buddies, we won't do much harm'. With social media showcasing our every move, and sharing knowledge of trails that are 'good to go', unfortunately it's not just you and a few friends. It's countless tires tearing up the fragile soil, leaving ruts and long term effects. It's extra hours of our trail crew and volunteer trail builders spending time on fixing the damage you've caused. We know social media is a powerful tool. We've seen the damage that instagram and Facebook posts have done to Joffre Lakes. Sadly this is happening to our Squamish trail network now as well. Please use social media to inform others that the trails are just not ready to ride yet. Share this article with your friends. When we know better, we do better.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the lowdown...Iíve been watching Trailforks and definitely donít plan on hitting anything in freeze/thaw/too wet or otherwise trail damaging status. Iím from SoCal, and definitely understand not jacking the trails during and immmediately after after conditions like that...ruts and other damage sometimes last for months or more down here if there is a prolonged dry spell after a deluge!

I was hoping the upcoming slightly warmer weather might improve things by next week, but if not Iíll bring the snowboard boots (woohoo...found some in size 19!!!) and try to learn that and/or rent a fatbike in Whistler or Pemby....