make a long trip and need some advice! thanks- Mtbr.com
    mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010

make a long trip and need some advice! thanks

want to ride from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to Victoria, B.C. Canada
    hi there just joined this forum a few mins ago! Have been toying with the idea of mountain biking from edmonton to vancouver island. was wondering if anyone has ever taken this route on a bike. Also how long it might take and what type of gear i should bring for the long haul?

Anything really would help. Im planning on leaving end of august! thanks in advance!

ups and downs
    Depending on your exact route that's at least 1300kms on the paved roads, and on trails, fire and logging roads likely 1800kms. In the mountains you're be doing really well to make 80km per day if you were on a supported ride, if you're carrying all your gear, you'd be challenged to manage 50-60km/day. There's got to be at least 6000m of elevation gain along that route, maybe more like 8000m.

There's only three real choices for getting through the Rockies from Edmonton, Hwy 16, Hwy 11 and Hwy 1 (but that's a long way south), there won't be many overland routes that far north that won't put you in grizzly territory.

There's more options if you were doing Calgary to Victoria as you could take the Highways or the overland Trans Rockies route from Canmore to Fernie.

I'd recommend downloading Google Earth and investigating what the terrain looks like along the way.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    As Rocky said, best route is via Calgary and then head across using the trails from Canmore into Banff and then work your way across. If you've never done a self supported ride like this I suggest you build up to it as it most definitely won't be easy. There are loads of places along the way to stop for restocking, but you'll still have to bring a lot of stuff with you, most likely on panniers/racks and a pack. Best bet is to searcht he web for "Bike Packing" and you'll find some great info. Unless it's early August you could be travelling a bit late and run into some cold weather which will add to what you'd need to bring/take with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    thanks guys i appreciate all the help i can get. Ive never done anything like this at all as a matter of fact! lol But i do realize it will be a long journey no doubt. the things that worry me the most are the wildlife through the mountains. Bears in particular! Im slowly trying to figure out what all i would need on a ride like this though? Thanks i have joined another forum specifically for "bike packing" it seems there is a lot of support! thank you very much. So far everyone has been extremely helpful. Unlike some other sports that i am involved in. lol Im glad to see that people in the mountain bike community have left there ego's checked at the door! lol thank once again and if you could possibly think of anything else that might help me id appreciate it!

ups and downs
    As a warm up for something like this you might want to try a Trans Rockies race. That would give you an idea of what 7 days of riding on trails through the Rockies would be like. That's a fully supported race/ride from Canmore to Fernie in 7 days (400km distance and 13,000m of elevation gain). That's a ridable route, as you get further north in the Rockies you're into true wilderness where trails that cross the Coninental Divide are not common.

Just a road bike ride from Edmonton to Victoria would be a lot of work and planning, off road, once you're out in the wilderness you're a long way from any sort of medical or search and rescue assistance. You are absolutely on your own.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    well i should have been more clear, i was hoping to take the highway through the mountains. Is this totally rediculous for me to think?

ups and downs
    The Highway makes much more sense, the highway passes are the lowest points through the mountains. Highway 16 is the most direct route and likely safer than considering the TransCanada through Roger's Pass to Golden.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    was thinking that i might take 16 to the highway that goes to kamloops? cant seem to find the actual name/number for that highway but it seems it would most likely be the path of least resistance! So does anyone have an idea what the biggest obstacles of a trip like this might be?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trent205
    was thinking that i might take 16 to the highway that goes to kamloops? cant seem to find the actual name/number for that highway but it seems it would most likely be the path of least resistance! So does anyone have an idea what the biggest obstacles of a trip like this might be?

Red necks and idiots.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    lol wait a minute im nto gonna run into any type of deliverance type red necks am I? lol if so please do tell! lol idiots i can handle i deal with them on a daily basis lol

ups and downs
    Think Rocky Mountain House with a BC accent.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    lol ok that aint all that bad! but still i will stay away from river and guys with banjo's lol

mtbr member
    It's good to be having a laugh and some fun, but do take this seriously. Have tyou ever spent an entire day in the saddle peddaling, like say 80 miles in the day? Of course then you need to add all the weight you'll be carrying with you and then multiply it by how many ever days. I'd suggest you start training now if you plan on trying this this summer, if not you've got loads of time to train.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    well ive never done anything even close to this! lol but i do mountain bike on an almost daily basis and im in great shape. I train 4 times a week for another sport im actively involved with. my longest trip would have been an all day trip through Edmonton's river valley system. Id say around 60km? could be more or less ive never really measured. My biggest worries are taking what i need to survive and not getting lost! lol worse case scenario i take a month to get there or i just call it quits at some point and catch a bus the rest of the way! Now i know that may sound ignorant to some but this is just how i live my life. lol I dont know why but some time ago i got this idea in my head that i was gonna do this and have not been able to talk myself out of it! lol

mtbr member
    Really, they have enough trails that you can spend a day going through them and not do anyone more than once? Have to ask since my Mum lives there and besides an impromptu trip this last x-mas I haven't been there since I started MTBing.

Quote Originally Posted by trent205
    well ive never done anything even close to this! lol but i do mountain bike on an almost daily basis and im in great shape. I train 4 times a week for another sport im actively involved with. my longest trip would have been an all day trip through Edmonton's river valley system. Id say around 60km? could be more or less ive never really measured. My biggest worries are taking what i need to survive and not getting lost! lol worse case scenario i take a month to get there or i just call it quits at some point and catch a bus the rest of the way! Now i know that may sound ignorant to some but this is just how i live my life. lol I dont know why but some time ago i got this idea in my head that i was gonna do this and have not been able to talk myself out of it! lol

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    lol ya there are **** loads of trails in edmonton and you can spend a week going through all the trails here! i love it!

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    ok so yeaster day was a gnarly run through Edmonton's river valley trail system! total of around 70km in 5hours! loads of average riding peppered in with about 25% of very technical riding up and down (meaning me whiping out) lol spoke through the from rim! legs are mashed up really good! lol I got some cool pics and a video to post but i have no idea how to post them! so im gona have to wait for my roomate to post them for me! I even saw a whitetail deer! and a giant woodpecker! lol Then on my way home i got a flat which followed by a torrential downpour for about 30 mins! lol i was soaked and muddy and stranded but i sure wouldnt have changed that for anything! lol

Members who have read this thread: 0