Looking for Squamish-Pemberton advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for Squamish-Pemberton advice

A question or two for my Canadian brothers and sisters.

Family of 4 on a 2-week Canada trip travelling in a camper van. Weíve got one day in Squamish and then camping at Nairn Falls Prov. Park. The next morning I want to hit a Pemberton ride while the girls sleep in and break camp (put them to work, eh?). Wifey can shred but being ski racers my teenage daughters are a bit too accustomed to riding chairlifts. Whistler isnít in the plans. They can ride lifts in the winter and I understand Squamish to be a bit more XC than Pemberton. Iíve read a gazillion threads and had Trailforks surgically implanted in my brain but could still use a ride recommendation or two or a homework check.

Squamish. Iíll hit Tantalus for advice but was thinking of parking at Quest university as per previous ride recommendations and and bike up Garibaldi Park Rd from there. Stay on the road and then descend Half Nelson or instead climb Op Panda and Legacy climbing trails. Down Half Nelson. If the girls are not cooked then back up Giribaldi or Access Rd to Pseudo-Tsonga and back to the van. It seems like that would keep us busy for 2 or 3 hours with breaks. Does it make more sense to simply drive to the upper car park instead? Weíll be there on a Thursday, July 21.

Pemberton. The easiest thing would be to hit the trails that you can access directly from Nairn Falls. Climb either News Flash or Lumpyís Epic but not sure how to combine these trails to make the best loop. Iíve got 3 hours to play and I like tech. Are these worthy or would it be better to head to the other side of town where most of the trails are?

We then head to Tyax Lodge to do the float plane dealio. From there heading east and doing Jasper. They all fly out of Calgary while I take a week to make my way back to Arizona. Iím pretty dialed on that portion of the trip but obviously not giving the Squamish-Pemby-Whistler corridor a fair shake. But weíll be back. And if you find yourself in Arizona and need Flagstaff or Sedona beta Iíll hook you up. LeeL and Sharon seem to have that covered anyway but Iíll try.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Squamish plan looks pretty good, parking up closer to the trails ( like bottom of pseudo tsuega) would work too. The climbing routes through the woods are more pleasant. There's a million trails, Alice Lake area is awesome too, but I guess you only have a day.

There's great trails near nairn falls, could do a full lumpys loop, or lumpys to k2+pioneer +fizzy pop dog beach or pickle, all that stuff is good. Tower of power is super cool, not sure if you are cool with lots of gnarly rock rolls.

If I only had one day to ride Pemberton ever then racing across town (crossing the River with the train tracks off urdal Rd, then teepee/bathtub to happy trail) and getting a lap of up happy NIMBY down overnight and across to cream puff would be a great highlights of Pemberton ride, 3 hours round trip from nairn falls would be pretty darn quick.

Or over to fat tug is awesome. Bike Co in pemby is sweet can also ask them for some pointers/maps /guide book/cool shirts too.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks kevin267! That's exactly the info I needed. I'm good with rock rolls if they have a runout. But I'm also on an Ibis Ripley this trip so not getting too carried away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For Squamish, park at the lower parking lot (bottom of pseudo-tsuga) and climb the legacy climb trail (named Stlílhalem Sintlí/Legacy on trailforks) up to Half-Nelson. It's a bit of a slog but it is pretty. You can also do your original plan of riding the road up to OP Panda and link into the Legacy trail that way but riding the Legacy trail the whole way is much prettier than the road (although maybe a little more work).

Ride down Half-Nelson, and if you're too tired to climb anymore, cross the logging road and head down Another man's gold > Fool's gold > back out onto the logging road and back down to your car. No point in wasting that vertical you worked for by riding the road instead

If you're up for another climb (it's a very gradual easy climb and worth it IMO), head up the Access rd up to Pseudo-Tsuga and take that all the way down to your car.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Hey Rockman when are you up? Kevin's advice is good about Pemby. You'd lap every trail in one Mile with 3 hours. With 3 hours you got time to do a bigger ride. If you just want to bust even quicker then just ride the highway to the Reid Road parking lot. Up Happy/Nimby. Back Pains and down. Over to Cream Puff then back home.

Squamish. Well I'm jaded but Half Nelson is a tourist trail and you're a decent technical rider. Maybe go down Angry Midget instead? Its not terribly hard. I really like the linkup that jave suggested too. It's a classic loop.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Hey Rockman when are you up? Kevin's advice is good about Pemby. You'd lap every trail in one Mile with 3 hours. With 3 hours you got time to do a bigger ride. If you just want to bust even quicker then just ride the highway to the Reid Road parking lot. Up Happy/Nimby. Back Pains and down. Over to Cream Puff then back home.

Squamish. Well I'm jaded but Half Nelson is a tourist trail and you're a decent technical rider. Maybe go down Angry Midget instead? Its not terribly hard. I really like the linkup that jave suggested too. It's a classic loop.
    Ha, wrt Half Nelson that's exactly what Dave from Fat Tire said. Squamish was mainly to get the kids on the bikes and then I'll have at something with more tech in Pemberton in the morning before heading to Gold Bridge. But now they seemed stoked on Whistler. Wear them out on the Lost Lake trails and then maybe I can slink away and do Top of the World while they shop and take in the base scene. What is it, three different chair lifts? I would have scheduled more time for the area but the we're doing the float plane dealio and Sat July 23 was the only day open. Then, I'll do something on my own while they lounge at the lake the next day. Taylor basin perhaps.

It's hard to keep everyone happy on family camping trip but I have a week to play as I make my way to AZ after dropping them off at the Calgary airport. Leaving tomorrow morning with a long pull to Lake Tahoe and Downieville. Gotta break up the drive ya know

Thanks for all the beta guys!
    Last edited by rockman; 07-14-2016 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, as luck would have it (or rather bad luck) wifey broke her ankle this past sunday. Complete dislocation, both bones, torn ligaments, plates, screws, blah blah. Surgery and now back at home. Needless to say we won't be making it to BC this summer. Got as far north as Lake Tahoe.

I've been able to cancel all our our reservations except Tyax Resort and the float plane trip through Tyax Adventures. If anyone is looking for a last minute booking a trip to Spruce or Warner Lake is available Sat July 23. A room at the resort lodge is, or was available, Fri and Sat nights July 22 and 23.

Thanks again for all the help but looks like this one is on hold until next summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Well, as luck would have it (or rather bad luck) wifey broke her ankle this past sunday. Complete dislocation, both bones, torn ligaments, plates, screws, blah blah. Surgery and now back at home. Needless to say we won't be making it to BC this summer. Got as far north as Lake Tahoe.

I've been able to cancel all our our reservations except Tyax Resort and the float plane trip through Tyax Adventures. If anyone is looking for a last minute booking a trip to Spruce or Warner Lake is available Sat July 23. A room at the resort lodge is, or was available, Fri and Sat nights July 22 and 23.

Thanks again for all the help but looks like this one is on hold until next summer.
    Sorry to hear about your wife's ankle and your trip being canceled . I'm heading to the chilcotins with a group of people this weekend. Wasn't planning on doing a float plane drop or staying at the resort but I'll shoot you a PM. Might be interested.

mtbr member
    Cool, sent you a PM with details.

I work with a couple of Canadian fish biologists. They're focused on the Fraser but they've helped us with our issues with rainbow trout on the Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam. They like to use a phrase, "Bob's your aunt, Jean's your uncle" or something like that. Means, voila or success. Looking to make lemonade out of lemons here. LOL.

ups and downs
    Normally just "and Bob's your uncle." As in, there it is done and dusted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada