Looking to Ride out West- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking to Ride out West

Hi there,

Im from Ontario and was thinking of taking a trip out west again but this time for mountain biking. I have been doing some research on where to possibly go once im there since i dont want to waste time looking for a trail to ride on which is why i was kind of also looking for a guided tour for riding so that at lest this way i can know where to ride right away.
    I have heard of places like Squamish , Wistler and so on but not sure where to actually go. Anyone with any info for me please pass it on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

John

KAIZEN!

what type of riding do you prefer?

Not sure what type of riding you are looking for - that will help other posters as far as suggestions!

Squamish is very beautiful (never ridden but have camped there) and is probably a good place to base out of while on the left coast... Whistler is very expensive - and Squamish is a short ride away (not sure of the road / construction conditions... Olympic building may add to some delays if they have started.) Whistler is nice - it is more of a freeride / downhillers focus, but some cross-country trails. (Bring your wallet $$!) Chilliwack was a nice place to camp and ride x-c; slightly smaller centre with all the amenities and great weather!

The island has some neat stuff - in and around Victoria and Shawnigan Lake, Duncan... I have ridden around there a fair bit while I lived in Victoria and it has a nice variety.

the North Shore has beautiful scenery and has lots of different rides - lots of stunts and hucks.

Golden has the ski hill and Mt. 7 for the downhillers. Plus Moonraker for the cross-country set. Depending on the time of year / weather conditions, the mosquitoes can be killer - ask a local or an LBS for the conditions... Invermere isn't bad - 1 hour south of Golden. the Trans-Rockies race will depart Fernie and finish just up the mountain from Invermere at Panorama Resort (more downhilling and cross counrty!)

The okanagan valley has great weather and solid riding. Some of the ski hills run in the summer... I have ridden from Penticton up to Kelowna (and skiied these areas, including farther north into Vernon.) Primo country! Lots of wine growing in the region!

I have heard Kamloops has some neat riding... another ski hill and cross country trails. The area is more desert-like: very hot and dry in the summer, so slightly different riding.

I just rode Fernie last week for the first time and I will go again this summer as I was so taken with it! I prefer cross country riding myself, but the Fernie ski hill covers off the downhill / freeride area!

I ride in Bragg Creek, Kananaskis country and Canmore / Banff regions mainly since I live in Calgary. Tons of rides here!

Maybe do a search on this thread for some locations?

Good luck!
    Dean

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot Dean,

That was a lot of info i really appreciate that.
    The type of riding i like is x-country mostly, i like fast single track and of course checking out the scenery ..... and thats not supposed to sound girly
    I was just trying to plan a trip down west and really didnt want to be searching around for a a place to ride so having this info from you and possibly from others helps a whole bunch.

Thanks again

John

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You may want to consider Jasper as well. It has a wide range of trails, and it hasn't been Banff'd yet. It's a great little town, fabulous camping and scenery, and a huge variety of trails. I ride mostly cross country and would say it's my favorite place to go. I haven't been many places in BC other than around Victoria when I lived there, so can't compare.

conjoinicorned
    jasper is really nice!! but the trails (mostly the amount of available trails) doesn't come close to comparing with places like squamish, rossland, or fernie.

sorry dude, it'll catch up i'm sure but it's a bit remote eh...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Also would you guys suggest packing my bike on the plane and flying it over or just renting a local bike ? I see ups and downs for both so i just wanted to see what others thought about this.

Thanks

mtbr member

Don't forget the Sunshine Coast - Gibsons

From the ferry landing at Langdale the are technical XC trail systems all the way past Sechelt. Yes, many stunts too but most have XC round abouts.

The ferry is 20 minute trip from Horseshoe Bay at North Vancouver

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stylesx
    Also would you guys suggest packing my bike on the plane and flying it over or just renting a local bike ? I see ups and downs for both so i just wanted to see what others thought about this.

Thanks
    For ski hills, renting might be a good option, but for XC riding you'll have more freedom with your own bike. You can always take your XC bike and rent a DH bike if you need to.

You can't really go wrong with anywhere between Calgary and Vancouver Island.
    Wherever you go, if you check with local bike shops and clubs you should get the best info on where to ride.

mtbr member
    Makes sense, thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you want the best riding then you have to come and ride Whistler and Squamish. There are a couple of hostels if you want to cut costs. I wouldn't suggest basing in Squamish as commuting can be a hassle at times. We do have the best trails and tons of them. We also have group rides on Monday nights and Loonie races on thurs nights. Plus just anyone and they will always be willing to tell you the best trails.
    Just gotta ask but Whistler is the best then Squamish. And no Whistler is just not downhill biking.

mtbr member
    I have found this site in case for whoever is interested since they seem very qualified.

http://www.freerideguides.com/index2.html

KAIZEN!

bike travel tips

Quote Originally Posted by stylesx

Thanks
    Bring your bike ... at the very least your pedals and seat! Not sure if you are renting a vehicle or not, but if not, choose a destination where you can ride from your motel room - like Fernie, etc.

Domestic flights - airlines will charge you to transport your bikes (but not golf clubs... but don't get me fired up!) - you need to ask for the amount with whatever airline you are taking. Probably about $75 each way. You can try to talk them out of it at the counter, but don't hold your breath!

We have travelled internationally with absolutely no damage by getting four big clear plastic bags from Air Canada (at the airport) a couple of days in advance (one each for my wife and I for the trip over and two new ones for the trip back - in case the bags got ruined - and take extra duct tape for the return flight!) We turned our bars, collapsed the seatpost down, padded our forks and swingarms with styrofoam (free) from a bike shop (yada yada the usual stuff), rolled the bikes into the airport, then duct taped the bags closed while we were standing in the check in line. No problems!

Apparently, baggage handlers take more care if they see it's a bike... they just throw the cardboard boxes / hard shell cases around. Then you have the storage hassles of cardboard (if it survives) / hard shells. Plastic bags fold up easily and we just rented a small storage locker in Munich to keep our plastic bags and carry on stuff while we rode for two weeks (see my thread under "Other Areas" "Transalp Riders" for details on traveling with our bikes...)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=193185

I don't want to spark a debate on the best way to transport bikes. I have heard pros and cons with plastic bags, cardboard bike boxes and hard shells - we didn't want to spend the money to buy or rent hard shells... and like I said, there could be storage problems with each upon arrival (especially if you are doing a self-supported trip like we did.)

Good luck and let us know "where" you decide to ride!
    Dean

Members who have read this thread: 0