Long weekend conditions and a rant on Jewell Pass- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Long weekend conditions and a rant on Jewell Pass

A few ride reports from the weekend (I'll save my Jewell rant for the next post), shouldn't be anything too surprising in here:

Thurs - moose and surrounding area were prime shape.

Fri - Skogan was good up to the pass. I got chased off my original loop by some rain and clouds in the area, so I dropped back down to Nakiska and rode both terrace and ribbon. Both were also in good shape. A few wet sections on the climb from terrace to ribbon, but nothing that made it unrideable.

Sat - PV\CH to PV\J. There's a few trees down on CH (dammit, forgot my saw after seeing those same 2 trees down a few weeks ago - doh!). The Jewell descent was in good shape but seemed...easier. Someone has been in there recently and has sanitized just about every tech move that was left on that trail. WTF?

Sun - Did one of my favorite loops in the area. Parked at powderface, up to the saddle, left and up to the ridge, descend on one of my favorite descents in the area towards elbow campground, link back up with the rest of the powderface long loop. Thereís a few new loose sections on the powderface climb and one newish loose section on the PF ridge ascent. A few muddy sections on the ridge descent (if you've ridden it before, you'll know exactly which sections since they rarely if ever dry out in the middle of summer). Prairie creek was a bit wet / muddy on the first half, but was mint after the link trail joins in. Also, IIRC, there was a few blowdowns on the section of ST between the bottom \ end of powderface long and the start of prairie creek trail.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member

WTF happened to Jewell?

I rode Jewell a few weeks ago and then again on Saturday and it was much Ďeasierí this weekend. Someone has been through and has sanitized the trail.

Some of the improvements include (I really hope the sarcasm comes through on the word ďimprovementsĒ):
    - Top sections have some of the larger rocks cleared off the trail. The few chunky sections are noticeably less chunky than before.
    - The one rock roll section has had everything not buried completely in soil removed from the runout (WTF - no longer that tricky). The section Iím referring to is the one where you canít really see the line until you roll your front tire past the point of no return.
    - The pedestrian bridge higher up (not the 3 bridges by the creek Ė basically 2 planks with the rider line just to the right in the small depression) that sits before a switchback left and then immediately drops to a chute has been cleansed and is stupidly easy. You no longer have to work for your line after making the switchback left.
    - Past the 3 bridges beside the creek but before the climb, there used to be a bunch of fun slower speed tech moves over and around some of the larger boulders. Most of these moves were at corners, but those have all been reworked so that there's no longer a line through that makes you work for it. One section even had a new line cut in to avoid one of the slow-speed corners.

Iím really curious who did this to the trail?
    Iím also really p!ssed off at whoever did this. You should bring yourself to the trailís level; never bring the trail down to your level.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That is the result of all the new trail building in the area, I am see that a lot of places...

Anyway just ride faster it will all wear out back to the way it was....

Old man Entropy never sleeps.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I feel your pain.

I hate it when trails are "fixed". Although I have fixed a few trails in my day too.

Really, though trails need maintenance. Yes at first it is easy but give it a couple of months and the technical nature of it will come back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by x-ker
    ...You should bring yourself to the trail’s level; never bring the trail down to your level.
    I completely agree. Why is this concept so difficult to understand for some people? I too feel your pain

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    That is the result of all the new trail building in the area, I am see that a lot of places...

Anyway just ride faster it will all wear out back to the way it was....

Old man Entropy never sleeps.

i hated them for "fixing" the powderface short a couple years back, but sure enough this year i can't tell the difference between the old and the new.

it's ok x-ker, if we don't ride jewell again this year i won't cry...baldy is way too prime anyways!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Off the back...
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again - **** happens. Trails will be changed for good or ill, both by human hands and the whims of Ma Nature. Also, we as experienced cyclists aren't the only users. What we consider fun, others would consider boring or dangerous, depending on their perspective. Personally, I find it just as disconcerting to encounter a smoothed-out section of trail as an ill-placed jump in the middle of some fast singletrack.

Members who have read this thread: 0