Living in W. Canada- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Living in W. Canada

what is it like, like Vancouver or surrounding areas, is it as expensive to have your own apartment as it is in los angeles?
    how are the people, single women, cost of living, food, etc. vibe. I know it is very diverse

how is the riding other than huge stunts (all mountain stunts, singletrack and cross country on the mountain). Are there waves there, do people surf there and how cold is the water?

thanks.

I am trying to leave the United States, working on getting a job, visa, and meeting a girl there - my life sucks so might as well work on living somewhere that is much better than the united states
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I live very close to Vancouver.

We dont get much winter, yes, its very expensive but I imagine LA is too. Variety of racial mix, gang problems in the lower mainland, but not as bad as US. Woman are VERY hot here.

Every imaginable type of riding, mountain biking is legendary here.

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    Cost of living (accomodation and food) in the VanCity area is definitely higher than anywhere I've been in Canada or the US. That said, people are relaxed and generally pretty happy to be here. My town is lacking in the male:female ratio, but I don't know if that's true everywhere. Waves are nonexistent unless you head to Vancouver Island and make a couple days trip out of it, Tofino is a well known surf spot.

As far as the riding goes, there is tons of variety and more trail than you have time to ride.
    Hanging out in Whistler... Just another day in paradise.

mtbr member
    Way higher than LA. More like New York. One of the top ten most expensive cities in the world. Expect to pay around $1000 a month for a basement suite.

There is the occasional storm surf sesh in West Van (bottom of 28th there's a boulder break when the wind is out of the NW). It's lumpy/mushy but fun. Vancouver Is. is EPIC surf, but you'll need at least a 7mm suit to live through it. Tofino is more beginner, for better waves go to the south island around Sombrio and Jordan River.

Chicks...you've never seen anything like BC girls. Just remember to show some respect, because they're Canadian so they can and will kick your ass out there.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Just for sanity check. The surf in Vancouver Island is storm driven and is mushy. Occassionally it gets big but that's rare. Surf in Van Isle is average at best compared to LA but there aren't a lot of crowds.

Vancouver surf - lets put it this way. I surfed and windsurfed 10 - 15 days a month living in Van Isle. I gave it up when I moved here. But I bike and ski a lot
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Vancouver is a terrible place. I've lived here all my life and would not recommend it to anyone. The posters above all have their hats on a little too tight -- the women here are awful and always stay inside, it's unbelievably expensive, and the bike riding is absolutely the crappiest available. Winters are cold. Really cold. There's about ten feet of snow here for about eight months of the year. When it's not snowing, it's raining except for two weeks during August, and then it's so hot it's unbearable.

Seriously, if you're looking for somewhere to live, look somewhere else. It sucks here.

I'm sure that after giving it a bit of thought, all those who responded will reconsider their replies and agree with me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRustyChain
    Vancouver is a terrible place. I've lived here all my life and would not recommend it to anyone. The posters above all have their hats on a little too tight -- the women here are awful and always stay inside, it's unbelievably expensive, and the bike riding is absolutely the crappiest available. Winters are cold. Really cold. There's about ten feet of snow here for about eight months of the year. When it's not snowing, it's raining except for two weeks during August, and then it's so hot it's unbearable.

Seriously, if you're looking for somewhere to live, look somewhere else. It sucks here.

I'm sure that after giving it a bit of thought, all those who responded will reconsider their replies and agree with me.

Ha, ok I get it, you DONT want the guy to move here, right? Umm ya, Vancouver sucks, the woman are trolls, we get -40 below winters, basically stay away as this is a hell hole.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRustyChain

FUNNY!!!
    The rain part is 'no joke', though.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP
    FUNNY!!!
    The rain part is 'no joke', though.

Not this year.....with an all out water ban this summer.

Barely no rain, but come late Oct to May, yup, RAIN.

TLO
    Ride more ***** less
    Sep 2009
    Van is the only place for me. Worked up and down the coast doing construction projects from San Diego to Whitehorse in th Yukon. Housing costs are one of the highest in North America. The woman are fine and be nice cause they will kick your ass. So much good food and from every corner of the world. Riding is beyond explanation Whistler is basically in the back yard. Ya it rains sometimes for weeks on end but it doesn't stop ya from getting out and riding . No winters just hot and dry and cool wet season.
    Lovin the hardtail

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    I see Fromme from my living room. You will find a way to live here. I'm 48 and feel like a kid every single time a ride here. Vancouver is like being on permanent vacation even if you are working a bunch of hours every week because the down time is so stellar. just pack up and make it happen!

Members who have read this thread: 0