Lift accessed epic at Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lift accessed epic at Whistler

Going to whistler in a couple weeks. Being more the all-mountain type riders we were thinking of doing one day in the bike park, one day of XC.

So my question is, are there any long/epic type trails that are accessible off the lift? Sorta like a backside thing?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yeah there sort of is. I can't remember what it's called, but you get access to it from the right side of the mountain about half way down from Garbonzo. It's listed in the Whistler Mountain Biking Guide. Highly recommend that you pick up a copy.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/whistle...-guide-review/

And Comfortably Numb makes IMBA's list of top epic rides in the world.

Chris.

EDIT: Khyber Pass is the name of the trail I couldn't remember. Link it up with Upper/Lower Babylon and Tunnel Vision.
    Last edited by chrissa; 09-11-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Or do the Cheakamus Challenge and earn Tunnel Vision and then drink large amounts of the wonderful. brown electrolyte replacement fluid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There's Khybers and Ride Don't Slide, but they still require some uphill pedaling/pushing after you are at the top of the lifts... seriously epic downhill ride though

I'm racing in the cheakamus, but you should consider comfortably numb for your xc epic, the cheakamus challenge is an awesome race but it definitely does not showcase any of whistler's best xc riding.

mtbr member
    Bring a big bike for Ride Dont Slide.

West Coast FTW!
    May 2009
    as stated Kyber Pass and Ride Don't Slide are long rides not in the bike park, although RDS would not be recommended for a shorter travel bike, Kyber Pass is more doable but is a little further up the hill and a much longer descent (4500'), links up with Babylon by Bike at the microwave tower, then to Tunnel Vision after that. For a true XC valley epic, try Section 102 - Kill Me Thrill Me - Comfortably Numb - Zappa trails in Lost Lake......

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbud
    For a true XC valley epic, try Section 102 - Kill Me Thrill Me - Comfortably Numb - Zappa trails in Lost Lake......
    wow, rather you than me! make sure you have enough hours of daylight for that one!!

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbud
    Kyber Pass is more doable but is a little further up the hill and a much longer descent (4500'), links up with Babylon by Bike at the microwave tower, then to Tunnel Vision after that. .
    you know the area better than me since you live up there, but according to guide book, kyber is 3700 feet vertical. guide book says it goes from 1820 meters to 690 (bottom of tunnel vision). still a good drop though! i did both kyber and RDS a few weeks ago.

anyone here do the helidrop descent off rainbow, how is that descent?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you are doing XC only 1 day, definitely don't bother with Kyber, &, in my opinion, don't bother with Comfortably Numb, there are much better ways to spend your only day here. Instead, link together several of our 1-2 hour rides to create your own epic and really get a taste for the variety of riding in Whistler. (if you have only one day and all you do is Kyber or CN you will not really have an idea of what riding is like here). There are many different linked trails you could do depending on how much climbing, technical, etc. you want to do.

[FYI - To do Kyber you need to ride the lifts and then do about 1500' of climbing (or climb 3500' from the valley), mostly on access roads (some steep hike-a-bike) - (it is not a very well used trail because of the effort needed - many locals have not even done it)]

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I agree that kybers is not the way to go for your 1 and only dh day, but RDS is an absolute must if you are a strong, aggressive DHer. get yourself a day ticket, ride the park to death and then for your last run down hit RDS. epic for sure.

I disagree, however, that numb doesn't showcase whistler's riding. and you did use the word epic. I would say that numb shows exactly what whistler xc riding is all about. It is an epic though, the most grueling 24km of your life!

If you're not up for a true epic you should definitely check out kill me thrill me and river runs through it, not to mention the lost lake trails for some gentler cruising. I personally love the westside trails including emerald forest too, and these are perfect to link with river, a la saturday's westside wheel up.

Members who have read this thread: 0