LBS in Calgary with decent tire selection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

LBS in Calgary with decent tire selection

Hi,

I have a stupid question for the group: do you know of a lbs in Calgary that has a decent tire selection?
    I have tried Bow, Bike Shop, Mountain Bike City, Calgary Cycle, PedalHead and Ridleys and apart from Kenda and Maxxis, nobody seems to carry anything else. Ridleys used to carry Continental, but they don't have anything in stock anymore.
    The Bike Shop has a decent selection of Kenda, so does Bow. Mountain Bike City has a decent selection of Maxxis tires, but nobody seems to carry Continental or Schwalbe. Is that because these tires don't work all that well in our area? Or is it because they are just not available in Canada?

Thanks a lot.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For continental I use probikekit.com (2 mountain king SS for ~ 90$ CDN), free shipping to canada, no duties, sometimes a 5$ handling fee from canada post.

For schwalbe I I use either chain reaction cycles or wiggle, but you have to but over 275 for free shipping. (2 racing ralph EVO for ~100$ CDN) .

Not quite local (ok not at all) but cheaper and available, esp. with free shipping from pbk. Shipping to edmonton ~ 1 business week usually.

Off the back...
    Huge +1 for PBK and CRC. I am loving my Conti Mtn King and Rubber Queen. I don't know why the LBS would expect me to pay $65 for a wire-bead Nevegal that sells for $25 via US mailorder. However, given the way Canadian bike part distributors price their parts, I wouldn't be surprised if UK internet store prices are lower than bike shop cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Timely thread,

Does any one have some XC tire suggestions for SW Alberta?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Huge +1 for PBK and CRC. I am loving my Conti Mtn King and Rubber Queen. I don't know why the LBS would expect me to pay $65 for a wire-bead Nevegal that sells for $25 via US mailorder. However, given the way Canadian bike part distributors price their parts, I wouldn't be surprised if UK internet store prices are lower than bike shop cost.
    Thanks for the reference to PBK, I didn't know about them. I already knew about CRC.

The problem that I have is that sometime it is nice to see the tire. For instance, with tire makers not being able to standardize their sizes, if one is on the fence between 2 sizes, seeing the tire can help make a decision. Plus I am willing to pay _a little_ more for stuff at the LBS, not like the old Nobby Nics @ Bow for $120, to support them as I think it is important, but they have to come through with decent selection of equipment that works well for our conditions.

Thanks a lot.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond
    but they have to come through with decent selection of equipment that works well for our conditions.

Thanks a lot.
    what tires do you wanna see? we will bring in the tires you guys want (bike bros.) but be aware that often our honest cost is equal to or more than CRC retail prices!
    such is the canadian market, tires are among the worst and this is IMO why you don't see a huge tire selection at the LBS...how can we stock up on good tires when you guys just buy them online at 50% off?

just be happy you aren't looking for 29er tires in the city, good luck!

besides, 97% of people i see on the trail are on a) fire XC or b) nevegal or c) one of each.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond

The problem that I have is that sometime it is nice to see the tire. For instance, with tire makers not being able to standardize their sizes, if one is on the fence between 2 sizes, seeing the tire can help make a decision. Plus I am willing to pay _a little_ more for stuff at the LBS,.
    Yeah, I understand this. I do like to support my LBS as they have been very good to me. But I find that tires are a tough item. Check out the race king thread in the weight weenie section. Some good pics/measurements there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boyracer1
    Timely thread,

I have been running Maxxis ardents front & rear and love them, lots of grip and decent rolling

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    what tires do you wanna see? we will bring in the tires you guys want (bike bros.) but be aware that often our honest cost is equal to or more than CRC retail prices!
    such is the canadian market, tires are among the worst and this is IMO why you don't see a huge tire selection at the LBS...how can we stock up on good tires when you guys just buy them online at 50% off?

just be happy you aren't looking for 29er tires in the city, good luck!

besides, 97% of people i see on the trail are on a) fire XC or b) nevegal or c) one of each.
    Hi ferday,

thanks a lot for the "insider's" perspective. At the time, I was looking at the Mountain King, Rubber Queen, Fat Albert, Little Albert and Nobby Nic.
    I have been happy with the Little Albert as a rear tire, but I destroyed the sidewall, so I thought I would look around to see what is available. The Nobby Nic seemed interesting as a rear tire as it is supposed to roll faster than the Little Albert, with little loss in term of traction. I didn't know how it was sized, so I was having difficulty figuring out whether to go with the 2.1 or the 2.2, plus I was looking for the SnakeSkin version as it has held up really well on the Little Albert. The Mountain King peaked my interest too, but doesn't seem to work too well in wet conditions, so I kind of dismissed it.

For the front tire, I have been using the Weirwolf LT 2.55, which is an awesome tire when things are dry. As I am using my tires with Stan's, it is a bit of a pain to switch tires depending on the conditions, so I have been looking for a tire that would work well in all conditions. Last year, I was using the Maxxis Advantage 2.1, which is nice, but as I have said before, I am a bit of a gearhead and like experimenting with things, hence why I was looking at the Rubber Queen and the Fat Albert, but I didn't know how they sized, compared to each others or to something like a Nevegal 2.35.

That's probably info than you wanted, but this whole reasoning is the reason for the question.
    Thanks again for the insider's perspective, it was very educating.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boyracer1
    Timely thread,

If you are looking for a racy XC tire for smooth hardpack courses, then the Racing Ralph is probably a good ticket. I have also heard folks having good successes with the Larsen TT or the CrossMark. The issue with those tires is that the sidewalls are pretty thin, so if you have to ride where there are sharp rocks, you might be destroying your sidewalls.

If you're looking for a do-it-all tire that's for general riding, i.e. non-downhill, then that's where it gets more difficult, as there is a ton of choices out there: The Mountain King is getting good reviews, but apparently is sketchy in wet. I personally like the Maxxis Advantage as a rear-tire. It works decent in all conditions. I also tried the Little Albert and really liked it. Great traction overall in both wet and dry conditions. Some folks says that it doesn't roll as fast as others and it might be true, as the Advantage seems to roll a bit faster. The Weirwolf LT 2.55 roll really fast, but, because it is a 2.55, is pretty heavy.
    The 2008 Racing Ralph 2.25 is another good option for dry, but I find it lacking a bit in the traction department. It works really well if you're a smooth fit rider and when tired or when the going gets steep, I am kind of neither, so I find it easy for it to break traction, plus it gets pretty scary in wet conditions.
    The FirePro XC is an ok all around tire, but it is getting a little long in the tooth from a design perspective, so I think there are better alternatives out there. For the pricing though, it is difficult to beat it.
    The Nevegal get awesome reviews, but I don't like it all that much as a rear tire, in the DTC version. The Stick-E version would be awesome as a rear tire, but it would be like riding through wet cement. As a front tire, the Stick-E 2.35 version is a good contender, but I think there are better rolling tire with similar traction out there, such as the Rubber Queen.

As you can see, there are lots of options out there and folks might have very different opinions from mine, as we are all different in fitness level, riding ability, riding style or even rider's weight.
    The Tire forum is a good source of information though.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks guys!

Members who have read this thread: 0