Lake Louise (+Banff + Golden) Late August- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lake Louise (+Banff + Golden) Late August

Heading up to Lake Louise late August early September on a family trip. Planning on bringing the bike (I've only got one, Ibis Mojo HD3).

Found some trail advice through Google. Looks like there are a couple trails right at Lake Louise (Ross Lake, Morraine Lake Highline), although Morraine may be closed for bear season?

Planning on also hitting up Star Wars and Topp Notch in Banff, and hopefully heading to Golden as well.

Anything else in the immediate area I should check out?

Also, if anyone in that area wants to meet up for a ride, feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's a list of the scheduled seasonal closures. Of course there can also be closures at any given time due to bear activity (in Canmore there are currently closures and/or warnings for most of the south side of the valley). The Lake Minnewanka trail is great but is closed to cycling in the summer due to an abundance of bears.

Parks Canada - Banff National Park - Seasonal Closures and Restrictions

Star Wars, Topp Notch, and the Tunnel Mountain trails make a great series of loops in Banff. You can also take Rundle Riverside (bumpy) or Goat Creek trail (smooth) between Banff and Canmore, and create a big loop with the combo of the two trails. Lots of riding in Canmore, particularly at the Canmore Nordic Centre.

Maps & Guides | Bike Canmore

Golden has lots of great riding and is about an hour to the west of Lake Louise.

Golden|MOUNTAIN BIKING BC

If you're over Banff/Canmore way send me a PM and hopefully we can hook up for a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    for banff, check out upper and lower stoney as well. Lake minniwanka might not be open yet, but is also a classic.

if you are ready for a big ride, in golden, check out T4 + LSD + canyon creek. Starts at the top of the ski hill gondola
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trip is getting closer. There's been some familial debate about bringing the bike. Worth it, or should I just rent when I get there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Average costs:
    airline will charge you $100 each way for bike, plus the hassel of boxing, building, the bike a few times. Plus what ever the airlines damages on the way. Plus transporting your bikes all around, and in/out of the rental car

Or just rent for $50?/day Bring your own shoes and pedals, and call it good.

odds are for just a few days (1-4?) its better to rent, Wilsons in lake louise will have good bikes, and Soul, Backtraks, or Ultimate in banff will too. Outside in canmore or gear up too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Air Canada is $50 each way. Still have to deal with boxing the bike up, my local shop will do it free in a shipping box. Or I can find a bike bag and go that route.

We're staying in Lake Louise the whole time so could ride every day there. That would make it more cost effective to bring my own, but...

the hassle and the potential for damage do make me want to rent.

Unfortunately, renting is always kind of a crap shoot with condition of the bikes, fit issues, level of bikes available for rent. Looked at your shop suggestions, I will have to contact Soul and see what bikes they have for rent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would just rent in lake louise for a day and ride both ross lake, and moraine lake.

Rent when you go to golden for the day(s) T4 to town is "sporty" and and adventure on a bike. Moonraker, and golden shadows are a bit more normal/marked

If you come to BNF Check out all 3 stores when you arrive, They all have some nice gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Perfect, my wife will appreciate your guidance! Ha, but seriously, thanks for the inside scoop.