kimberley / wasa / cranbrook / panorama trails- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

New question here. kimberley / wasa / cranbrook / panorama trails

Hey I recently got a cabin that is close to these areas and was hoping to get some pointers for some good XC trails. I like pretty much any trails, from long mountain pass climbs, fast singletrack, and the slow technical stuff. Ferday mentioned the trail network at mount swansea - any thoughts?

Thanks

bobfromcanada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfromcanada
    Hey I recently got a cabin that is close to these areas and was hoping to get some pointers for some good XC trails. I like pretty much any trails, from long mountain pass climbs, fast singletrack, and the slow technical stuff. Ferday mentioned the trail network at mount swansea - any thoughts?

Thanks

bobfromcanada
    There's a kick-ass trail in Invermere that I absolutely love.
    I went back just to do it again 2 times.

It's short - about 12k out-and-back, but it's gorgeous. It's fast rolling singletrack, with lots of technical goodies. You ride on a lip of a canyon - wrong move - you're done. It's called the Toby Creek trail - you ride along Toby Creek Canyon.

Let me know if you want more details about it.

See picture from last August.

Where did you buy the cabin? I love Invermere...
    Last edited by Ro.nin; 03-02-2006 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Feb 2006

nice view

Quote Originally Posted by zamolxe

Let me know if you want more details about it.

Where did you buy the cabin? I love Invermere...
    Edge of the canyon........i love that stuff. Could you tell me a bit more about it (trailhead location, etc.)?

The cabin is at Wasa Lake, about an hour south of invermere. It backs onto a ton of crown land. There's alot of mountains to climb, but not much for singletrack.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfromcanada
    Edge of the canyon........i love that stuff. Could you tell me a bit more about it (trailhead location, etc.)?

The cabin is at Wasa Lake, about an hour south of invermere. It backs onto a ton of crown land. There's alot of mountains to climb, but not much for singletrack.

Thanks!
    HI there;

It's a splendid area; We plan to get something over there too, in the future.

Here's the easiest way to get there:
    - There's a bike shop in Invermere, right by the IGA. Go there and ask about the Toby Creek Trail. They'll tell ya. It's on private land, but the owner knows and doesn't mind - there are lots of cyclists in the area.

Or you can find the highschool, follow the road that goes behind it. At some point, you'll see a parking spot on your right - just before the road starts to climb. I recommend you stop here and ride from here. It'll add about 2k of climbing, but, trust me, you'll have a huge grin when you come down. Get on your bike, climb the paved road for about 500m then turn right on an unpaved road (it's called something with Toby Creek too). Ride through the forest till you get to the Texas Gate - the cattle thingy. You'll see people parked there (bike racks and stuff). You have to pay attention here. DO NOT take the road further. Turn right - you'll get to the edge of the canyon. There you'll see the sweet singletrack starting.
    Ride as long as you can. The singletrack will stop at some point - after 6 or 7k.
    Almost when you get to the end, there's a vista point over the canyon. Leave your bike in the bush and you can go over a very narrow ridge (one wrong step - long way down...) that'll get you to some more amazing views.
    Time to return. The same way. Believe me is as exciting as going forward. It doesn't look like hte same trail. When you get back to the Texas Gate keep the road for about 100m then take a left turn into the woods. You'll find a super fast singletrack that will catapult you exactly to your car. Oh, by the way. You'll be going down, probably doing 40... there's gonna be a fork in the singletrack. Do NOT go forward. Theres a 3 foot drop... with not too much landing space...

By the time you get to your car - it'll be about 12-14k. Not too long, but it's super fun.

enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Thanks for the info, I grew up in Cranbrook and still have relatives there that we visit occasionally. Have to head up Toby Creek next time we are up that way, maybe this summer.

Nov 2005
    Canyon creek is a great ride.If you like big climbs paradise mine is another great one.Panorama ski hill climbers left has some good XC trails,I've raced there a few times and found it to be pretty technical.Fernie has some great XC on the other side of the valley from the ski hill.I think they are called Roots,roots proper and roots extension.You can ride all the way to Sparewood if you want.

Feb 2006
    Cool. Does anybody know of any XC races in this area?

Members who have read this thread: 0