Kananskis Country?- Mtbr.com
    Don't worry, be happy!

Kananskis Country?

I took a sideways route home from Banff via # 40. O M F G... gorgeous country. Then my hub rode the GDT which takes the main forest road down the next west valley. We both saw lots of hints of mountain biking. Suggestions? Favorites? Good base camps? Planning for next year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It's Western Canada's best kept secret. And even better, this year the government has done a lot to improve enforcement and tighten regulations so that ATVers and people wild camping with monster 5th-wheel trailers are getting pushed out of Kananaskis and the Castle wilderness areas. That's another cool area to explore.

If you can find a copy of Peter Oprsal's kananaskis mountain biking book (they are crazy hard to find), it has some wonderful information in it. The only problem that it was written right before the big flood of 2013, so many of the trails are gone or don't connect anymore, so some of the information is dated. It is still the best guide out there.
    New biking guide to Kananaskis Country

Ryan Correy from Canmore was also working on a book last year, but sadly he was taken from the cycling community too young (cancer). The Bikepack.ca website states the book will be finished and published posthumously, so that will be a great book if it makes the bookshelves (Ryan researched and rode the trails himself - bikepacking was a huge passion of his).

Last piece of advice is to get copies of the Gemtrek maps available at places like MEC. They show the old roads and trails well. The best riding is outside the "commercial" Provincial Parks and inside the Widland Provincial Parks (free random camping!) and PLUZs. Share your routes if you find some good ones!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    That is amazing country and the rides I have done there were awesome!
    I grew up in Okotoks so I really can't complain.
    It has been awhile since I was there and always say I need to go back but the book I used was written Doug Eastcott and Gerhardt Lepp book "Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies".
    But I am sure that book is way out dated but that was the bible when I rode there in the 90's.
    One of my favourites was called Around the Misty Range.......it had everything!

I am sure a lot of things have changed there..........look forward to seeing it again some day! Just got to find the time..........
    Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Kevin
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT