Kananaskis trails- Mtbr.com
    rides with camera

Kananaskis trails

Heading up that way this week , for those who frequent the area what would you recommend ? I`ve been there a few times and it rained hard each time so we couldn`t ride From what I`ve heard Jumpingpound ridge is a must . Anything else ?

Hopefully it doesn`t rain this time
    Thanks
    Ken
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    Heading up that way this week , for those who frequent the area what would you recommend ? I`ve been there a few times and it rained hard each time so we couldn`t ride From what I`ve heard Jumpingpound ridge is a must . Anything else ?

Hopefully it doesn`t rain this time
    Thanks
    Ken
    I'll go against the grain and say that Jumpingpound Ridge is overrated - 18km on a gravel road followed by a horse trail with heavily eroded climbs and descents. Whoopee. Much better:
    - Prairie View --> Jewell Pass --> Prairie View --> Chief Hector
    - Moosepackers via Pneuma
    - Baldy Pass
    - Jumpingpound [long loop]
    - Highline --> Canmore Nordic Centre --> the Drake
    - Misty Range [with a shuttle]
    - Goat Creek --> Rundle Riverside
    - Quirk Creek / Wild Horse trail

That should keep you going for a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    lake minniwanka (banff) and ross lake / high line (lake louise) are amazing if you can make it a bit further west .

baldie is nice too in K country
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    lake minniwanka (banff) and ross lake / high line (lake louise) are amazing if you can make it a bit further west .

baldie is nice too in K country

Lake minny is a good one . I agree , have ridden it . In K country from what I read on the world wide waste of time is there are alot of fire roads . That true ? I guess I`ll find out tomorrow . Can`t wait
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    I'll go against the grain and say that Jumpingpound Ridge is overrated - 18km on a gravel road followed by a horse trail with heavily eroded climbs and descents. Whoopee. Much better:
    - Prairie View --> Jewell Pass --> Prairie View --> Chief Hector
    - Moosepackers via Pneuma
    - Baldy Pass
    - Jumpingpound [long loop]
    - Highline --> Canmore Nordic Centre --> the Drake
    - Misty Range [with a shuttle]
    - Goat Creek --> Rundle Riverside
    - Quirk Creek / Wild Horse trail

That should keep you going for a bit.

I second the Drake!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have never heard of the Drake, any info?

Off the back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I usually agree with pinkrobe, but Jumping Pound ridge is still one of my favorite rides in the area. But I do it a little different than the normal route. Its a long ridge ride that is normall ridden South to North. But there is a trail right up the middle too. The middle is the highest access point on the road. So I ride up the middle then continue up the ridge for the viewpoint. Then ride the usual climb as a the downhill. Its only about 4km on the road back to the car.

I do this as an evening ride in about 1 1/2 hours and its Super Fun!

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    I usually agree with pinkrobe, but Jumping Pound ridge is still one of my favorite rides in the area. But I do it a little different than the normal route. Its a long ridge ride that is normall ridden South to North. But there is a trail right up the middle too. The middle is the highest access point on the road. So I ride up the middle then continue up the ridge for the viewpoint. Then ride the usual climb as a the downhill. Its only about 4km on the road back to the car.

I do this as an evening ride in about 1 1/2 hours and its Super Fun!
    So, that would be Summit trail up, then you ride the switchbacks down to Canyon Creek? That would be a much better route than Dawson --> road --> up --> down --> Cox --> Dawson. I'll have to give it a try...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Or just take a friend, drop a car at dawson and shuttle the road so it's all fun...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Haha, thought we were talking about a trail. So disappointed

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yep thats the route. From the top its pretty easy and usually worth it to head up to the viewpoint. I like Moose but also get tired of the Sulphur Springs 500

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    Yep thats the route. From the top its pretty easy and usually worth it to head up to the viewpoint. I like Moose but also get tired of the Sulphur Springs 500
    Sulphur to Pneuma and down the Race of Spades is a good loop...no fire road required.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A bit of a thread revival, but instead of starting a new one.....

What kind of tires are you guys running for the jumpingpound/cox hill ride? From the pics I've seen it looks like I could get away with running my continental race kings 2.2 (tubeless/huge volume).

I'm using them right now in Edmonton and they have been working well for me (hardpack/rooty/some rocks)

tia

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by civil

What kind of tires are you guys running for the jumpingpound/cox hill ride? From the pics I've seen it looks like I could get away with running my continental race kings 2.2 (tubeless/huge volume).

I'm using them right now in Edmonton and they have been working well for me (hardpack/rooty/some rocks)

tia

Lots of sharp rocks on the downhills.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by civil

tia

you'll be fine running tubeless on those tires, but it might be wet in which case those tires will not cut it at all
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey K-riders, question about the weather lately... how's it been? Has it been snowing up there? I'm registered for the Bow80, again, and after last years disaster (I think I just about died of hypothermia) I'm wondering what things will be like. Is there already snow up there?

Great race when the conditions are good (2006) but after the last two years I'm kinda gun-shy. Apparently the race organizer is not eager for a repeat of last year so the race could be canceled on the 15th if it looks like it will be ugly again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Hey K-riders, question about the weather lately... how's it been? Has it been snowing up there? I'm registered for the Bow80, again, and after last years disaster (I think I just about died of hypothermia) I'm wondering what things will be like. Is there already snow up there?

Great race when the conditions are good (2006) but after the last two years I'm kinda gun-shy. Apparently the race organizer is not eager for a repeat of last year so the race could be canceled on the 15th if it looks like it will be ugly again.
    Definatly snow on Jumping Pound and Cox right now, but if it is sunny that is not a problem. Can't see anything today cause it is raining in Calgary....I am betting rain at Cox.

Forecast for the 15th partial sun 5C low 16 C high...so marginal at best.

See you there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks guys, I'll bring along some other tires as a backup.

Off the back...
    I'm pretty sold on 2.4 tires for damn near everything around here. Heavy, but great traction up and down, regardless of the weather. Good luck with the Bow 80 Kris. Keep an eye on this thread for conditions as we get closer to the race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Jumpingpound Ridge the way AscentCanada said. Cox Hill. Pneuma down the switchbacks of Moosepackers and then all 4 sections of Ridgeback! Powderface Ridge has also been one of my long time favorites (short but the descent is a hoot).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Talking about Powderface, myself, Lee P, Steamer 19 and other were on the long loop on saturday. On the backside a short way in from leaving the road we notice that the path had been flooded.

A beaver had created a dam over the path resulting in flooding on both sides on his dam. He has obviously been at it for sometime as plenty of trees had been cut down in that specific area and he had managed to make a large terrace...... it was quite impressive!

Just something to watch out for when you are riding round there!

FS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Some photos.......

Kananaskis trails-powderface-002.jpg

Kananaskis trails-powderface-003.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0