Kamloops vs. Revelstoke- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Kamloops vs. Revelstoke

i'm travelling from vancouver to calgary and have a chance to stop at one of these places for a day of riding. what do you think would be a better stop?

also, i'm from texas, so i don't know much about the area. do i have to be careful about any of the wildlife out there (grizzlies, for example). i'll be riding alone

mtbr member
    I've never been to Kamloops, but I was really impressed with Revy last summer. You won't regret going there. When are you going? Some of the higher elevation trails might be blocked by snow until mid July.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ups and downs
    Normally one would say be prepared for hot riding conditions in Kamloops in the summer, but if you're coming from Texas it would likely only feel passably warm in Kamloops in the peak of summer. Kamloops has a few trail areas where you could spend a couple of hours each...

https://www.trailforks.com/region/kamloops/

Revelstoke has the Mt. Macpherson trail network within riding distance of the downtown and some classic high alpine rides like Frisby Ridge or Keystone Basin, but those are likely to have snow until well into the summer, and Keystone is likely not a good idea for a solo ride for someone new to the trail. The high alpine trails have a much higher likelihood of critter encounters

https://www.trailforks.com/region/revelstoke/

I'll throw another option in there as well, Salmon Arm is between Revelstoke and Kamloops and has some nice trail networks close to town like Rubberhead, Larch Hills and South Canoe.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/salmon-arm/
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Kamloops is cool but revelstoke would be my pick for sure!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'll be out there for a day around July 20ish. been youtubing mtb vids and I liked what I saw in revelstoke.

what kinda critters are we talking about out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I ride Revelstoke regularly and Kamloops occasionally, I would Recommend Revy for sure. For a first time Mt Macpherson would be the place.
    There is lots of wildlife but Bears are the concern. Tourists use bear spray but I don't think I have ever seen locals with it. The biking community is great and If bears have been seen on a trail area word gets around quick. Make a quick stop at one of the bike shops and get informed.

ups and downs

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What time of year? Also don't exclude Golden; they have some great trails as well. Revelstoke's best riding doesn't really open until mid July; prior to this Macpherson has some great XC riding though I have more fun on Golden's XC trails personally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i'll be there july 20. i heard about their thursday pedal and pint rides, but that might be more of a casual deal. sounds like it would be a cool ride with the locals tho

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    revy is just a great town. stop at zala's for dinner

ups and downs
    In Revy, La Baguette has great coffee and pastries (and pizzas), and Main Street Cafe has great cinnamon rolls in the morning plus decent sandwiches.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I grew up in Revelstoke and have lived in Kamloops for the past 12 years. I have built a lot of trails in both towns.

Both have amazing riding and both have completely different styles of riding. Both are worth stopping but if you can only pick one go for Revelstoke. The Mt. Macpherson network is an amazing XC area and boulder is an incredible DH net-work. Plus being from Texas I am sure you will enjoy riding in the trees.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine