Just a friendly reminder- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Just a friendly reminder

Story time!
    This last Saturday 11th of September I went up to Sunpeaks just north of Kamloops to check the place out (having never been there before). While we were looking around we saw that there were tons of downhillers out there bombing down the slopes and having a great time. Good fun was had by all it seems. Well, just before we were about to leave my Father-in-Law was watching the east trail and saw a little black head pop up from behind a ditch right beside the trail. Well, we quickly determined it was a black bear hanging by the trail eating some berries or something in the ditch!

Cue the downhillers...
    One guy came down the trail and the bear was curious as to what was making noise up slope. So he stood up to get a better view. The rider, seeing the bear maintained his cool and rode past. A few more riders went by and seemed to be making the bear a bit antsy so he paced a bit, not a good sign if I remember how black bears behave. So a few more downhillers go by and this one downhiller who was female noticed the bear and missed her line, she made it down okay... So the bear, finally having enough of it heard more riders coming down and decided to book it into the trees by the east trail... thankfully.

He probably would have just growled and run away, but black bears have been known to chew on people when scared. So let's just keep that in mind this fall as we go bombing through the bush. I don't wanna read about anybody being made into a chew toy for a local bruin, and I don't wanna hear about a bear being killed because he used somebody as a chew toy...
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Sep 2004
    so far ive seen a porcupine, skunk, and a snake while biking out on the trails but i havent seen or heard a bear and i hope i never do,
    although i might try to snap a pic of the bear while flying past it if possible

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roam
    so far ive seen a porcupine, skunk, and a snake while biking out on the trails but i havent seen or heard a bear and i hope i never do,
    although i might try to snap a pic of the bear while flying past it if possible

...Then you are a better cyclist than I...

You should come out to Alberta and BC for a better chance of seeing bigger critters. We just finished a bear warning for Fish Creek Park, which is in Calgary. Whenever I go for an early morning ride out along the Bow, I stand an excellent chance of seeing/hearing deer and coyotes.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lots black bears out here on Vancouver Island. I have run into a couple this year - I always say on our group rides: its the rider out front that sees the bears, and its the rider at the rear that sees the cougars ( if he/she is lucky ) A few of our wimin riders saw a cougar a couple weeks ago - a rare occurance. I still want to see a cougar. The bears I've run into in the woods are usually pretty scared, and will climb up trees or run away as fast as they can. I was up in Cumberland riding last week, and the stupes had fenced in their garbage dump, and there is nothing worse than garbage bears. The bears are roaming the streets of the town, eating all the falling fruit and shitting all over the roads! ( Who said they go in the woods )

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I have had my encounters with those that wander throught the woods.
    Between Alberta and BC I have run into a few.
    Cougar, Elk, black bear and Grizzlies.
    Just this summer I ran into a Grizz at Spruce lake. Fortunately the bear ran the other way and I could the continue on. I always consider an encounter as a highlight to the ride and a ride you won't forget. Just like when I ran into a grizz sow with 2 cubs on a ride in the Kananaskis. (Ride around the Misty.........amazing ride)
    As long as you us your head and don't do something stupid......
    Thankfully I have not had a real close encounter with Black bears who I have read will eat human so playing dead is not a good idea.
    So as I always say as long you don't become a Meal on Wheels , your having a good day.
    That is why I hate bear bells on bike........I feel like I am in bad experiment.........ever heard of Pavlov's Experiment??????

Feb 2005

New question here. keen to do some rides in canada

undefinedHey how are you canada sounds good an i;m coming over in July to AUG from Brisbane Austalia for a MTB trip . I' m hoping do do some races and ride lots of track thay sound good!!!. Do you know some one how can show me some tracks or a good bke shop that have rides on weekends . hoping you can hellp me out!!. And i fly in to vancouver do you nkow some good track out that way ? your story was a good read - but you should come to Australia for a ride and see what we have pretty good and no BEARS hee hee hee !!! but some other things mite not like. SO if you can help me out in some way that would be great .Hope to see you all out on the track when i get there ny friends in canada .See ya and ride hard .
    Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule
    Story time!
    This last Saturday 11th of September I went up to Sunpeaks just north of Kamloops to check the place out (having never been there before). While we were looking around we saw that there were tons of downhillers out there bombing down the slopes and having a great time. Good fun was had by all it seems. Well, just before we were about to leave my Father-in-Law was watching the east trail and saw a little black head pop up from behind a ditch right beside the trail. Well, we quickly determined it was a black bear hanging by the trail eating some berries or something in the ditch!

Cue the downhillers...
    One guy came down the trail and the bear was curious as to what was making noise up slope. So he stood up to get a better view. The rider, seeing the bear maintained his cool and rode past. A few more riders went by and seemed to be making the bear a bit antsy so he paced a bit, not a good sign if I remember how black bears behave. So a few more downhillers go by and this one downhiller who was female noticed the bear and missed her line, she made it down okay... So the bear, finally having enough of it heard more riders coming down and decided to book it into the trees by the east trail... thankfully.

He probably would have just growled and run away, but black bears have been known to chew on people when scared. So let's just keep that in mind this fall as we go bombing through the bush. I don't wanna read about anybody being made into a chew toy for a local bruin, and I don't wanna hear about a bear being killed because he used somebody as a chew toy...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by intense
    undefinedHey how are you canada sounds good an i;m coming over in July to AUG from Brisbane Austalia for a MTB trip . I' m hoping do do some races and ride lots of track thay sound good!!!. Do you know some one how can show me some tracks or a good bke shop that have rides on weekends . hoping you can hellp me out!!. And i fly in to vancouver do you nkow some good track out that way ? your story was a good read - but you should come to Australia for a ride and see what we have pretty good and no BEARS hee hee hee !!! but some other things mite not like. SO if you can help me out in some way that would be great .Hope to see you all out on the track when i get there ny friends in canada .See ya and ride hard .
    where are you going to be staying?

Feb 2005

he stay at hostel

going to stay at hostel y my friend