Just Driving to BC (Rossland)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just Driving to BC (Rossland)

hello northern neighbors.

heading up that way - starting tomorrow from Idaho.

Band of Horses in Spokane tomorrow night.

then, riding around Kettle Crest Thursday. have to stay state side so i'm guaranteed to see some college football on Thursday night (ESPN). i hear you it's hit or miss to get college football programming up there in hotels.

anyway..

after that...we're planning to head to Rossland - but, do not object to driving. hope to find a place to camp (campground or dispersed....if you've got recommendations..thanks)

besides 7 summits...what else can you recommend. we'll be there for 3 days.

nothing super techy...as my wife likes the smooth/flow/singletrack the best.

i tried a search (i'm not completely lazy)...but, didn't find too much really.

i found this site:

http://www.rosslandtrails.ca/cms/TRAIL-MAP.9.0.html

what to ride. looks like there is plenty. and, this site seems like a good resource (even rating the trails)..but, just looking for your recommendations...

also...anywhere good to fish (fly fish). assuming i can get a week/day license.

thanks. and, if you're ever in southern/central idaho...i can give you some pointers..

mtbr member
    There's another option off of 7 Summits down Plewman Basin that is excellent. Then you can linki into BS/PR to Oasis (the map is a bit out of date, ask at the local shop for beta).

Excellent flowy descending and only a few optional jumps.

You may also want to check out Texas Point in Christina Lake, just over the Paulson. It's a very nice ride, and there's great beaches involved.

mtbr member
    Go talk to the Revolution bike shop in town...very friendly and will help you out.

A good option is to shuttle Oasis trail. There is an outfit in town that will drop you and your bikes off at the top of oasis and pick you up at the bottom. I think the company is called Adrenaline tours or something like that. The bike shop there gave us the number and we set up the shuttles the day before. We also aranged a drop off to the seven summits trailhead with Adrenaline Tours. Also behind town is some great riding. See the local map. We put together a few loops pretty easily - there are lots of options.

You can stay at the Lions campground in Rossland. Its the only campground there as far as I know. Nice place, hot showers, and big sites. You can ride from the campground into downtown for dinner. It's also a short ride from the campground to the trailheads behind the town. http://www.rossland.com/directory/lions_campground

They are having a festival this weekend: http://www.rosslandfattirefestival.com/index.php

Anyways...enjoy the trip. Rossland is a great place and the riding is fantastic.
    Socks are supposed to be pink.

mtbr member
    thanks a lot guys. sounds like revolution is our stop for local beta to set up our riding itinerary.

we'll probably camp at the lions to make it easy. hopefully we can get a spot by getting up there first thing friday. website says no reservations...

do you guys have restaurant recommendations? where to find a good selection of draft beer?

i can't believe this area is such a reasonable roadtrip from boise...and that we haven't considered it before.

trip is semi spontaneous..in that...we don't really have a set plan.

mtbr member
    As mentioned, the Lion's in town is a great bet for camping (and the wife will enjoy the showers there).

Hit up Revolution and pick up a map from them - they're around $15 and some of the proceeds go towards upkeep of the trails. You should also be able to get some good beta from them about which trails to ride. Your wife would love Lower Oasis, and there's quite a few loops you can piece together throughout town that have some optional stunts for you to ride with well thought out ride-arounds on everything (Full Monty and lots of others).

With the festival happening this weekend, see if you can get in on the 7 summits poker ride. Looks like a great deal with a shuttle provided and I would imagine some aid stations along the route.

As Smoke mentions, there's also a few nice rides near Christina Lake with great beaches. Unfortunately, with only 3 days in the area you'll be hard pressed to want to leave Rossland.

mtbr member
    For breakfast, try the Sunshine cafe. Right next to the bike shop.
    http://sunshinecaferossland.com/
    Socks are supposed to be pink.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    nothing super techy...as my wife likes the smooth/flow/singletrack the best.

also...anywhere good to fish (fly fish). assuming i can get a week/day license.
    For fly fishing, a popular spot is Genelle...drive down to Trail, head up to Castlegar and turn right at China Creek. Get a local map and you'll see where it is. Or go to Nancy Greene Lake and catch some small (very small) little stocked rainbows from the north end of the lake.

edit: not sure of any fly shops in Trail and pretty sure there isn't one in Rossland, but if you are willing to make to 40min drive to Castlegar, then stop in at Castlegar Fly shop...the dude who runs it (Rod) knows his stuff and can point you in the right direction...he isn't famous for giving up his secrets, but he'll give you some tips I'm sure.

For non-tech rides with a lot of climbing, from the Centennial trail head you can ride up Larry's/Miners/Red Summit then back down the Summit trail then onto Redhead. Awesome workout. Also basically anything from the Centennial trailhead is fun and not tough...do Techno-grind, Milky Way, KC Loop, etc. All fun and not really tech.

One thing to note on the Rossland trail map...it's kinda out of date and doesn't have the Red Mtn trails on it. But they have free handouts (the same from the website) that will tell you some stuff...the Redhead loop (not including the summit) is here - http://www.bikerossland.ca/node/3617
    Last edited by xcolin; 09-01-2009 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    thank you all..so much.

i've always heard wonderful things about Canadian hospitality - and now, seeing it here on the board. cannot wait to get up there.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Here is a link to Revolution Cycle
    http://www.revolutioncycles.ca/

Have fun!!

Members who have read this thread: 0