Jumping Pound Ridge to Moose Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Jumping Pound Ridge to Moose Mountain

Last year I rode Jumping Pound Ridge to Cox Hill but when we were at the lookout point on JPR, it looked like there was a trail that went towards Moose Mountain. Is there a way to link these two rides? If so, what direction would be better? Start at Station Flats and do Moose Packers up to Moose Mountain or start at JPR and finish with something at Moose (Race of Spades?).

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

mtbr member
    www.mbpost.com/trail/267274/across-moose.html

Not a ride for the faint hearted.
    It's go time

mtbr member
    more and better pictures from the original post on mtbr here

I'd have to look at a map, but I'd think there would be a way to park at Dawson, ascend the fire road that we crossed when we did across moose, and take the singletrack along jumpingpoound ridge to the actual jumpingpound / cox ride (although that would have you mostly ascending that singletrack).

If you've got a copy of BBITCR, look at the descriptions for 'across moose' and for the 'alternate jumpingound' ride (can't remember the name, and don't have my book here) as I'm sure you'll be able to piece together a decent loop.

Hope that helps.

ups and downs
    It sounds like a William Nealy style Hell Ride

hell ride.jpg
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Off the back...
    I took that unofficial line once, but ended up bushwhacking to a lease access road, then descending to Sibbald and back to Dawson on Tom Snow. A lot of the bushwhacking was on very ridable routes along a forested ridge. In fact, I kind of enjoyed it more than the usual JP/Cox route. The major downside was my wife breaking down and crying. She said something like, "You don't know where we are, we're ****ing lost - I don't want to die out here!" I was thinking the same thing, but pretended that I knew where to go...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry to pinkrobe for chuckling to myself at what was probably not very funny at the time.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    The major downside was my wife breaking down and crying. She said something like, "You don't know where we are, we're ****ing lost - I don't want to die out here!" I was thinking the same thing, but pretended that I knew where to go...
    That's usually just about the time you step in fresh grizzly scat.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Off the back...
    In retrospect it is entertaining, but my wife still gives me the stinkeye over the whole escapade.

We didn't see any bear poop, but as we got to Sibbald we saw these two youths riding along - a guy and a girl. They had a copy of BBITCR with them! The problem was that they didn't know where they were either, although we helped them figure it out. We still managed to take a wrong turn, then doubled back in time to encounter them standing beside the trail. He had his shirt off, and she was in a bikini top sparking up a joint...

Members who have read this thread: 0