hows does a begginer get involved in Racing- Mtbr.com
    mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010

hows does a begginer get involved in Racing

Anyone in Edmonton that can point me in the right direction. Id really appreciate it!

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trent205
    Anyone in Edmonton that can point me in the right direction. Id really appreciate it!
    Lots of ways to go about it, but your absolute best bet is to go to a Local Bike Shop, because not only will they help you get into the scene, they can provide great racing tips.
    I recommend Pedalhead on Calgary Trail, but that's because I am a long-time member. In truth, ANY of the Edmonton shops will treat you good, but I can personally vouch that I personally know all the Pedalhead staff, and every single one of them are a great help and know what they are talking about.
    The race calendar can be found on www.albertabicycle.ab.ca
    You missed out on lots of the good ones this season, although there are still some to go. To race more than 2 races in a season you have to purchase a license from www.albertabicycle.ab.ca, and to do this, you also either have to belong to a local Bike Shop Club (covers insurance) or pay extra to cover the insurance with your license.
    You will get hooked in guaranteed, we have a pretty good racing scene in Alberta, and enough races in the Edmonton area if you can't travel out to Canmore/Calgary/etc area. (Edmonton, Devon, Stony Plain all have races).
    Any other questions, feel free to shoot, I'll do my best.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Too bad your just looking into it now. Edmonton has a great "training race" series called Fat Tire Tuesdays - run by Hardcore bikes. Unfortunately, tonight was the last night.

If you're looking at it as a long term thing - follow Oilerfan's advice. Check out the ABA (alberta bicycle association) for a list of clubs in Edmonton. Most of them will let you come out & try a ride before committing, so go ride with all of them. Off the top of my head, look up United Cycle, Pedalhead, Hardcore, Redbike, Juventus, RVC (River Valley Cycle).

Then show up for club rides & be prepared to eat some humble pie - there's a lot of fast riders in the city.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    well that is too bad! i would have loved to get involved in some begginer type races. Im sure there are races just for begginers? Anyone on here know who to contact in Victoria? would there racing season last a lot longer there due to the nice weather all winter? I realize i will get smoked probably pretty easily but hell i like a challenge and i love to ride so i just figure it would be fun and id love to give it a shot. Now i am curious what types of gear i would need to race? what are the requirements?

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I don't know about BC race schedule or anything, but I can toss out some advice on the rest of that post.
    1- Almost all races have categories, so you would never really be too far out of your element.
    2- Gear: Pretty much everything you should already have as a rider. Waterbottles, tools to fix a flat, etc.
    3- Not really any requirements at races aside from a helmet and a safe working bicycle. Just go out and ride!

Hope that helps, and someone from BC will hopefully chip in about their race schedules..
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trent205
    well that is too bad! i would have loved to get involved in some begginer type races. Im sure there are races just for begginers?
    There are 4 races left in the season, all of which have a novice category:

July11th - Edmonton Canada Cup
    July 18th - Canmore Canada Cup
    August 8th - Devon Dust Up
    August 28th - Hinton Provincials
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    BC & Vancouver Island Mtn biking info at these links:

http://www.cyclingbc.net/
    http://www.arrowsmithmtbclub.com/
    http://www.simbs.com/index.htm

So much of the racing is earlier in the season locally (Vancouver area) which is kind of a drag if you're a slow starter like myself. I know Vancouver Island has the Island Cup Series which for this year anyway, forms part of the Cycling BC schedule.
    I know a lot of clubs have informal 'Toonie Tuesdays' etc. so I'm sure by contacting one of them you should be able to find something.

Have fun!

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    right on man! thanks for all the info everyone! if i dont make it out to any races this summer i know for sur ei will be out in full force next summer! thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0