How long to stay in Nelson, Revelstoke, Fernie and when to go- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

How long to stay in Nelson, Revelstoke, Fernie and when to go

Hi folks,
    I'm planning a 2-3 week road trip from Seattle with my family (wife, 9yr old, 8mo old) and nanny to do some awesome riding in E. BC this summer. Nelson, Revelstoke, and Fernie are on my must visit list, but I don't know how much time to budget for each. I'd also like to know whether we should add other towns like Canmore/Banff, Golden, New Denver, and/or Rossland. We have never been to any of these places. I'd also like to know when the ideal time of the summer (between mid-June and early Sept) would be. We'd like to ride 2-5 hrs per day of riding, and shuttles would be extra awesome, as it lets us get more riding in before (a) our bodies give out and (b) we feel guilty about being away from the family for too long. I'm an advanced rider (blacks and double blacks at Whistler), my wife is strong intermediate (blues and blacks at whistler), and our son is intermediate (blues at whistler) but hates climbing. Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    I think you'll love Revelstoke but haven't ridden the other spots so I'm no help

ups and downs
    Are you hotel/motel-ing it or camping? For camping in BC Parks you'd need to commit early, spaces are in demand, commercial campgrounds might have some more vacancies. A lot of the hotels/motels tend to have vacancies if you start looking for a hotel/motel between 12 noon and 2PM you have some opportunities, and by 4PM everyone on the road is settling in one spot for the night (especially workers who work on the road like highway crews, linemen etc.) So you can play it by ear if you're a bit of a risk taker.

The 6 month Environment Canada forecast looks pretty much indeterminate for precipitation being above, below and at normal levels in BC. So they really don't know. In the mountain valleys you can get really localized late afternoon and early evening heavy rain storms, but also it can be weather systems that sit for 2-3 days at a time, so it is hard to predict the best time of year, usually August is warmer and drier in those areas and the higher trails are in the driest conditions. But the last thing you want is to commit to an area for a week and have it rain for 4 days of that.

Nelson has a fairly diverse and spread out trail network

Nelson, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Fernie has a higher density of trails close to town

Fernie, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Revelstoke has the Mt.McPherson trail network, and high alpine classics like Frisby Ridge

Revelstoke, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Canmore has some nice long natural trails and the Canmore Nordic Centre for a tight group of more manicured and manmade trails, but all close to a single centre so that is handy when kids don't have the horsepower for long distance rides, but they want to ride til they are tuckered.

Canmore, Alberta Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We were planning on using Airbnb most of the time, with the occasional night of camping. Given the size of our crew, I'm not willing to take risks regarding finding lodging.

How many days do you suggest in each of these towns? We can always make another trip the following summer if cramming it all into 2-3 weeks isn't a good idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For Revelstoke, I would say come in August or early September for a minimum two days. One day I would ride Keystone, which is one of the best trails anywhere. Your son might hate it because of the climbing, but it's worth it for the fast flowy descents and the incredible views.

The other day I would ride Frisby Ridge, and if you still have energy, do some shuttle laps on Boulder Mountain.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Revelstoke is a three or four day trip.

1. Keystoke
    2. MacPherson
    3. Frisby

I would say Rossland is also a three day trip as is Fernie.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine