How long is the drive from Pemberton to Gold Bridge and Tyax- Mtbr.com
    trail gnome

How long is the drive from Pemberton to Gold Bridge and Tyax

I am getting conflicting information... Estimates as low as 50 minutes to a max of 3 hours.

... At a safe speed. Not looking to set any records.

In September.

Edit: reason for asking: considering a 3-day float plane trip with Tyax, and we are debating whether we should drive there and take the float plane from Tyax to the start of the ride, versus taking the float plane from Whistler to the start, and also float plane back to Whistler at the end.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

ups and downs
    The short estimate is using the Hurley River Forest Rd. That is a seasonal road and not for the faint of suspension. The longer estimate is running through Lillooet Pioneer Rd.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

trail gnome
    I know about the forest road. Someone on this forum gave an estimate of 50 minutes from Pemberton to Gold Bridge on the forest road, but I've seen estimates of 1.5 to 2 hours using the same route. What is realistic at a reasonable speed?
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

ups and downs
    You likely want to allow a couple of hours, conditions are likely to wildly variable depending on how wet or dry it's been.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Took us about 3 hours going via Lillooet IIRC. Paved from Pemby to Lillooet, mostly gravel after. Limit is 80 for a lot of the paved part, but you often get stuck behind campers.

I've heard that they don't let you take rental cars on the Hurley, if that is a consideration.

trail gnome
    Thanks. We are renting 4WD pickups. I don't know what the rental terms are WRT dirt roads, but we'll definitely need to check that out.

At this point, we are weighing if we should just do some heli-bike trips instead. Less cost & less logistical details to work out.

Sigh... the places with the best views are never easy to get to.... As it should be, right? Otherwise, they'd be overrun by idiots like me.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

mtbr member
    The Pemberton heli drop would be a good compromise if you're not sure about committing to a Chilcotins trip. You get a big full-day adventure without having to deal with the logistics and planning required for a safe Chilcotins trip.

trail gnome
    Thanks for the suggestion. The heli-drop is appealing. The only thing missing from that is an overnight stay in a cabin.

Searching online, I found a trip report from a group that did a heli-drop and overnighted at Tenquille lake cabin. That could be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Do chilcotins it's worth it. Be careful with rentals going over the Hurley I got 2 flats in one trip! Long way around is the safe bet
    Last edited by kevin267; 12-21-2018 at 12:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I am getting conflicting information... Estimates as low as 50 minutes to a max of 3 hours.

... At a safe speed. Not looking to set any records.

In September.

Edit: reason for asking: considering a 3-day float plane trip with Tyax, and we are debating whether we should drive there and take the float plane from Tyax to the start of the ride, versus taking the float plane from Whistler to the start, and also float plane back to Whistler at the end.
    You won't get over the Hurley FSR to GB in 50mins in a rental pickup. I'd plan on the 2hrs+ range and as mentioned before be ready for a flat tire. Your rental contract will likely preclude this route. So you'd be on your own in terms of damage/liability.

If you can afford the float plane to/from Whistler why not? You'll get some killer views and avoid the hassle of the drive.

I am coming from Victoria on Van Isle and I give myself the whole day to get to Tyax via the Hurley. It's not that far, but it's a route that is not friendly for precise scheduling or making fast time.

The Chilcotins are pretty nice, but so is the riding around Pemby. You won't leave unhappy either way.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Go to Tyax.

I have ridden all over the world and there is nothing like Tyax. The sheer volume and trail length is incredible, combine that with being very remote and you have a pretty unique experience.

As for the drive, I have not done the Hurley. If you come in from the east you don't need to do the Hurley. Thought about flying into Kamloops? Pretty easy drive from the loops. Plus, then you are the interior where there is better riding.

If you really want alpine riding and want easier logistics then consider looking at Revelstoke or Rossland. Maybe even throw in Retalic in there.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

trail gnome
    Thanks for all the replies. Based on the feedback, we'll most likely book with Tyax & get the float plane pickup & drop-off at Whistler.