How dry and blown out is Whistler in Sept vs July?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How dry and blown out is Whistler in Sept vs July?

I'm pretty new to DH parks in general, I've only been to two: Whistler and Northstar. I've been to Northstar in both July and September, and the difference is almost enough to not make me even want to ride it in September. Of course, it's pretty blown out there even in July, so that's not saying much.

I've only been to Whistler in July, and didn't find it dry at all, though the brake bumps were already everywhere. How much dryer is it in Sept? Considering a late season trip up there and trying to decide if it's worth it. Though I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Northstar at its best is still way dryer than Whistler at its worst, meaning yeah I should go no matter how late in the season it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Completely varies year to year. This summer has been abnormally cool and damp which has meant awesome conditions. There was even mud during Crankworx EWS whereas August is normally a hot and dry dustbowl. September is usually better than July IMO, it's cooler at night and moisture hangs in the air more so trails are not as dusty. Also the trail crews do a lot of repair work after Crankworx and crowds thin out a ton. Especially mid to late September.. later in the month higher chance of rain though.

I would always choose September just for less crowds. Also guarantees that Top of the World will be open (usually closes 2nd or 3rd weekend of September though so check that).

mtbr member
    September is the best time, the only downside is park closing at 5 instead of 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I would always choose September just for less crowds. Also guarantees that Top of the World will be open (usually closes 2nd or 3rd weekend of September though so check that).
    Thanks for the advice!

I went last year before Top of the World was open and was pretty bummed. But this year they're already claiming it will close to bikes on Sept 8th. :-(

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/ex...on.aspx?tc_1=4

Still probably worth it though, I'll just have to wait one more year for TotW, unless they push back that closing date which seems very possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    That's odd, there's no weather reason or environmental conservation reason I'm aware of that they would close so early. Maybe they just don't get the numbers of tourists (bikers/hikers) to justify the staffing to keep Peak/TOTW open past labour day. They have a little bar up there, the sky bridge etc. so lots of staff needed.