How badly do you want to ride everywhere within the Parks Canada boundary?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How badly do you want to ride everywhere within the Parks Canada boundary?

Interested in more access to trails within Parks Canada?

link to the survey
    There are many ways that visitors enjoy their national parks, and Parks Canada is continually striving to improve these services. In recent years, there has been an increase in interest in bicycling of all types, including the various forms of road riding and mountain biking. Parks Canada is interested in better understanding the quality of its current offer and how the cycling experience might be improved in the future. Please take a few minutes to give us your feedback. Your answer are confidential and you will not identified in any way.

Please, go to the link above and spend the ~10 minutes to fill out the survey.

Say it with me now:
    More Singletrack
    More opportunities to access the alpine via bicycle
    Access to trails that are currently designated 'no bikes'
    Everypony loves riding bikes

ups and downs
    Considering most of the legal biking in most mountain National Parks are on paved or short gravel multi-use trails, most of the questions about the experience of riding a bike in the National Parks seem like a clever trap.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Considering most of the legal biking in most mountain National Parks are on paved or short gravel multi-use trails, most of the questions about the experience of riding a bike in the National Parks seem like a clever trap.
    Lots of riding in Jasper. Not enough, but more than anywhere else. I would love to see the Banff riding significantly increased!
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The parks suck

ups and downs
    Other than Banff and Jasper, not much real cycling in the National Parks in or near the Rockies.

From the Mount Revelstoke Park website:

Bicycling

Cycling is allowed on the Trans-Canada Highway and the Meadows in the Sky Parkway, as well as on 2-km and 5-km trails at the foot of Mount Revelstoke. A connector trail links these trails with Highway 23 North.

From the Glacier National Park website

Activities

Ski Touring
    Hiking
    Caving
    Mountaineering
    Wildlife Viewing
    Backcountry
    Huts
    Fishing

Cycling? Cycling? Cycling? Bueller?

From the Kootenay National Park website

Cycling and Mountain Biking

The Kootenay Parkway (Highway #93) through Kootenay National Park provides excellent scenery and challenging terrain for the touring cyclist. The highway shoulders are paved, and services such as picnicking and camping are spaced along the length of the Parkway.

Mountain biking is not permitted on any of the hiking trails in Kootenay National Park. Off-highway cycling is permitted only on the East and West Kootenay fire roads. These routes are described in the Kootenay National Park Backcountry Guide .

From the Yoho National Park website

Cycling and Mountain Biking

Mountain bikes are allowed only on designated trails in Yoho. Designated trails includes these fire roads: Kicking Horse, Amiskwi, Otterhead, Ottertail, Ice River. Check the Backcountry Guide to Yoho National Park, for specific details. Off trail bicycling and cycling on the O'Hara fire road is prohibited.

From the Waterton Lakes National Park website

Cycling

On the road

Cycling is a great way to see the park and get some exercise at the same time. Cyclists need to be aware of two major factors while in Waterton - other traffic and strong winds! The Red Rock and Akamina Parkways are narrow and do not have shoulders, so use caution when cycling on these roads. The Chief Mountain Highway has wide shoulders and is a good choice for cycling, although be prepared for large hills. Highways 5 and 6 leading out of the park also have wide shoulders and can be very enjoyable.

The Kootenai Brown Trail

The Kootenai Brown Trail in Waterton Lakes National Park opened on October 9, 2010.

The new paved non-motorized multi-use trail was created as a legacy gift to Canadians in recognition of the 125th anniversary of Canada’s national parks.

The recreational trail was constructed to provide a link for non-motorized travellers from the community of Waterton and the Townsite Campground to visitor facilities in the Waterton Valley. The new trail offers unparalleled views of the Waterton Lakes and surrounding mountains and addresses safety concerns by ensuring users are separated from motorized traffic along the Entrance Parkway.

On the trail

Mountain biking is limited to four trails. Mountain bikers should yield the trail and be courteous to other trail users. Because bikes travel swiftly and quietly, there is a high probability of meeting and surprising wildlife or other trail users. Be alert and attach a bell to your bike or call out when approaching corners to make others aware of your presence. Horses may panic if surprised when encountering cyclists. Please be considerate by stopping and moving to the side of the trail if encountering horses head on. If approaching from behind, announce your presence from a good distance, then request guidance from the horse riders as to how to pass safely.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 12-18-2010 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    biking in banff has gotten a LOT better in the past few years (and hoping that this info will help) All the 30km of trails on tunnel mountain are now signed, and a new DH trail built this fall. A "black trail" for DH is going forward in the spring, and all this WITH parks approval too. LOTS more could be open, but this is a positive start.
    Some very classic rides int he area too. Lake minniwanka, rundle loop, upper/lower stoney squaw, and now all the stuff on tunnel mnt.

would LOVE to see Mnt ass opened again, or SSV medows, or some of the other long alpine stuff.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    would LOVE to see Mnt ass opened again, or SSV medows, or some of the other long alpine stuff.
    +1. Compared to heli assisted hiking adventures and pack horses, mountain bikes just can't be a considerable environmental impact on that Mt.Assiniboine route.

Egypt Lake would be nice too

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the link. I just completed the survey. I am guessing someone in Parks Canada is looking for ways to increase revenue and is looking at the successes of the mountain bike tourism industry elsewhere. Hopefully it increases some of the access.

mtbr member
    I think Parks is serious about developing trails for mountain bikes. Mark Schmidt, formally of IMBA is now working for parks as thier national trails analyst. The idea is that if you build decent trails that riders will actually use, theres less chance of them riding in sensitive areas. As was previously pointed out, there is new trail development slated for the Banff area and new trails have been built in Jasper over the last 3 years. While thats not alot, there is a push to get more trails designated for mountain bike use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone tried riding Elk Island National Park approx 80km east of edmonton? I'm going to be in the area and want to try riding there but no information about cycling there.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by 6f6rider
    Anyone tried riding Elk Island National Park approx 80km east of edmonton? I'm going to be in the area and want to try riding there but no information about cycling there.
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisla...iv/activ1.aspx

Recreation

Hiking & Walking
    Canoeing, Kayaking, and Sailing
    Cross-country Skiing and Snowshoeing
    Wildlife Viewing
    Golfing

Members who have read this thread: 0