How to allocate 6 weeks of riding BC this summer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

How to allocate 6 weeks of riding BC this summer

I've spent many hours gathering as much info as I can on this topic from the existing forum posts, and I'd like feedback on what I've come up with so far. I'm an advanced rider (blacks and double blacks at Whistler), my wife is strong intermediate (blues and blacks at whistler), and our son is intermediate (blues at whistler) but hates climbing. We'd like to ride 2-5 hrs per day, and shuttles would be extra awesome, as it lets us get more riding in before (a) our bodies give out and (b) we feel guilty about being away from the family for too long. We live outside Seattle, and the 6 weeks need to be broken into chunks no longer than 2 weeks. Here's our tentative schedule (these days include travel days):

Late-June:
    9 days on Vancouver Island / Sunshine coast

July:
    5 days Pemberton / Whistler
    9 days Silver Star / Sun Peaks / Kamloops / Kelowna / Vernon

Aug:
    9 days Whistler during Crankworx (we know what we're in for)
    9 days Fernie / Rossland / Whitefish MT
    9 days Revelstoke / Salmon Arm

Note that Squamish and N. Van are missing, but that's because those are more easily done as weekend trips from Seattle in the spring before school is out.

What do y'all think about this schedule?

mtbr member
    This thread is relevant to my interests. My wife and I will be doing a 3 month trip to BC next summer (July/Aug/Sept). We are similar levels, though we'll likely be spending 9 weeks. We are towing an RV, so we are debating whether or not to go to the island (Ferry costs). We also don't have a problem spending 5-7 days in one place (like Squamish/Rossland) since we have friends there.

Just curious to the comments that will come regarding your trip.
    Straight outta Rossland

ups and downs
    As long as the weather is nice during those time periods in those locations, I doubt anyone would find a problem with the plans. The more flexibility you have to move to another area if some sort of weather system settles in to one spot, the better off you would be.

Making a trip to the Island around Cumberland to ride some of the trails used for the BC Bike Race would definitely be worth while.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah we will hit Cumberland for sure. I don't think we'll be able to be super flexible b/c of lodging cancellation policies. Do you think we have at least chosen the best times for each place to minimize weather issues? Also, does the allocation of days seem like the right balance between all the spots?

ups and downs
    You might dial back on Salmon Arm by 2-3 days . There's a couple of major rides around Salmon Arm like the Larchhills Traverse and a couple of trail networks to ride, and in Revy if you can do Keystone Basin, Frisby Ridge and the Mt. MacPherson trails that's the main boxes to tick. Maybe that's the road trip loop to tack a couple of days around Nelson onto the trip (and you'd get a short Upper Arrow Lakes ferry ride thrown in).

I don't know if you've considered it, but if you're around Whistler/Pemberton, a float plane shuttle ride to Spruce Lake or Warner Lake might be interesting. They can pick you up in Whistler. Spruce Lake to Tyax lodge via Gun Creek would be an epic day ride.

South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Mountain Bike Day Tours | Tyax Adventures

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    might want to add canmore/banff. Golden, Reve to the mix? that is worth 9+ days.

also single track 6 will be in rossland area this summer in early Aug.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    As long as the weather is nice during those time periods in those locations, I doubt anyone would find a problem with the plans.
    WDYT about dropping Kamloops & Kelowna to fit in New Denver instead? We'd do Silver Star and Sun Peaks and Salmon Arm one trip and then New Denver and Revelstoke another. One reason for asking is that because we are going mid-July, I'm a bit worried that the heat in Kamloops & Kelowna will make things unpleasant.

mtbr member
    Try to squeeze in some of the amazing music festivals both on the mainland, and specifically on Van Island. Canadians are cool!

ups and downs
    The big draw around New Denver is Retallack which is focused on intermediate to advanced trail riders, as long as that fits your riding goals, it has great reviews from anyone who's ridden there.

New Denver, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Mountain Biking Packages - Professionally Guided Mountain Biking in BC

The entire interior of BC has the same tendency to be quite warm mid-summer, which is where those late afternoon thunderstorms come from, so in July and August it isn't unusual to see temps around 30C+ during the day. Most BC riders deal with it by riding early and drinking beer in the heat of the afternoon. And you can always ride in the late afternoon until 8-9PM (unless you're on the east side of a mountain or in a valley bottom, that can shave an hour or so off of the published sunset time).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The big draw around New Denver is Retallack which is focused on intermediate to advanced trail riders, as long as that fits your riding goals, it has great reviews from anyone who's ridden there.
    I'm not super interested in Retallack b/c of (a) the cost, (b) the fact that my whole family + nanny will be with us, (c) we'll be doing the Cartier heli drop in Revelstoke for much much less $, and (d) a friend of mine who did Retallack said it wasn't worth the cost (we ride whistler a lot, and he said whistler is better).

So, I need to decide how to allocate the 9 days (2 of those will be driving to/from Seattle) that will for sure include Sun Peaks & Silver Star but also maybe Salmon Arm, Kelowna, Kamloops, New Denver (Idaho Peak trails). Advice is appreciated as always!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bump

mtbr member
    Drop me a line if you want some guiding on the south end of Van Isle. From Duncan down to Victoria and Sooke.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com