Howís Whistler when it rains?- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Howís Whistler when it rains?

Iíve scheduled a trip to Whistler next Friday the 6th and Saturday the 7th. Lo and behold, after I placed a deposit on a condo the forecast changes to rain. Iíve never ridden there and the opportunity finally came up. Itís been a lifetime goal destination for me.

Do you think I should go anyway and ride in the rain or cut my losses, forfeit my booking deposit, and cancel my trip? If I drove all the way there and had to just look out the window at rain itíd be more depressing than not going at all. What would you guys do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ad04d2ba-18fe-4aef-b85e-f6fa938d99b2.jpg  

-cb993cf5-6815-4837-aa70-924fbc8fef63.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    It is perfectly fine in the rain. It is right after the rain where things get slick. Go. It will be great either way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There are a few trails that aren't good in the rain but most are fine.

The forecast doesn't even show much rain, but forecast more than like 3 days out isn't worth much.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Okay, you guys are making me feel better about this forecast. Thanks.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    If the park's really terrible, head up the road to Pemberton or down to Squamish. I was there last week, and when it was dumping in Whistler, we drove out to Pemby and shuttled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its wet and cold.
    LOL, seriously though we've been going for the last four years and ride rain or shine. We ride trails though, only hit the park for Top of the World. The trails are high in rock, granite and drain well and don't pack up. THere was some sections of soft dirt. You might consider Squamish if its really rainy, we seem to end up there in the rain, not by plan, and its fine. Lots of cinder there. Squamish also has lots of great trails, as good as Whistler. Gobs of traction on the rocks as long as there isn't moss. It kind of freaks us out because here were used to it being like ice when its wet.

Pack a light jacket, you'll be fine. We're heading up in two months!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry to hijack...Iím heading up for my first Whistler trip this Thursday-Sunday...Is the forecast volatile enough this early in the summer, that postponing the trip for a week may land me in the same boat weatherwise? I did notice that earlier this week, the weather was supposed to be sunny and dry during the period I will be up there and changed pretty quicklyÖ

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Sorry to hijack...Iím heading up for my first Whistler trip this Thursday-Sunday...Is the forecast volatile enough this early in the summer, that postponing the trip for a week may land me in the same boat weatherwise? I did notice that earlier this week, the weather was supposed to be sunny and dry during the period I will be up there and changed pretty quicklyÖ
    It looks like you and I are in the exact same boat, same days even, except if I postpone itíll probably be next year before I get another chance to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Iím planning on going unless the forecast turns to high probability of thunderstorms...should still be epic!

If you see a really large person on an undersized XXL V10 rental bike, say hi...thatíll be me

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Iím planning on going unless the forecast turns to high probability of thunderstorms...should still be epic!

If you see a really large person on an undersized XXL V10 rental bike, say hi...thatíll be me
    Right on. I'm committed to going at this point. I've purchased some water-resistant baggies so unless it's a downpour I'll be riding.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. Booked a trip 10 days ago on a whim, just got here this evening. It's been raining for a few days and probably will continue for the next 3 days I'm here and riding. **** it, I'm riding all day every day no matter what. :-) Will report afterwards on how that turns out.

ups and downs
    The next two weeks look pretty good, this Friday might be a bit damp, but those days of ~1mm of rain won't make much impact on trails (just be careful on the freshly wet wood work and rocks)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -whistler-weather-july-2018.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Awesome...thanks! Which weather app is that?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I like rockyuphillís weather app better. Weather.com paints a very different picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -8e282a16-2f4e-4857-b49a-85935cc9b7b3.jpg  

-233b8c1a-07d0-4d8e-a3b0-4d136d50363a.jpg  

Nat
    mtbr member
    I wonder if the wide variation in forecasts has to do with where on the mountain they're looking? Valley weather will be drier than alpine weather, which makes sense. Aren't the Fitzsimmons zone trails down lower the most popular?

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Much obliged!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I took some friends for their first trip last year, it was pouring. All of them were complaining that the trip was going to be ruined because of the rain. I felt terrible because the trip was my idea and every time Iíd visited before it was sunny skies. All of the workers in the village kept telling us how great the trails would be the next day and whatnot. I figured it was just a ploy to keep the tourists stoked in spite of what seemed like crappy conditions. Honestly, the days of riding in light drizzle/rain were the best days Iíve had in all of my visits to Whistler. Shorter lines, no sunscreen, perfect temps...it was by far the best of my many days of riding in Whistler. Best of luck to you and have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EDRN911 View Post
    I took some friends for their first trip last year, it was pouring. All of them were complaining that the trip was going to be ruined because of the rain. I felt terrible because the trip was my idea and every time Iíd visited before it was sunny skies. All of the workers in the village kept telling us how great the trails would be the next day and whatnot. I figured it was just a ploy to keep the tourists stoked in spite of what seemed like crappy conditions. Honestly, the days of riding in light drizzle/rain were the best days Iíve had in all of my visits to Whistler. Shorter lines, no sunscreen, perfect temps...it was by far the best of my many days of riding in Whistler. Best of luck to you and have fun!
    Yup, the trails would suck if it didn't rain. We've been there when it didn't rain it started getting really dusty and loose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Epic first half day...got on the mountain by 530 and rode till 845 (did a sweeper lap with a group and one guy flatted).

Definitely really dry right now, I could see a little rain really improving grip and cutting down on loose stuff. But just mind blowing still.

B line, blue velvet, freight train, una moss, drop in clinic, no joke, bunch of blue techs, crank it up, sweeper lap with whistler downhill to French connection (walked the big roll), clown shoes (chickened out on the off camber wooden drop/stepdown thing).

Amazing...even if I get rained out tomorrow it was worth the trip.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I found out for myself today ó Whistler is AWESOME when it rains. Why have I waited so long to ride here???

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah second that! Canít believe how well everything I rode held up yesterday. I think Iím ruined for riding anywhere in the States now 😓

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I was there in the rain a few weeks back and had the time of my life! It's pretty hard to have a bad time in whistler!