Hey Okanaganites!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hey Okanaganites!

It's not quite hot enough in Utah, so we're heding to Penticton tonight for one week of R&R&Biking. I used to live in Summerland for over 15 years so I'm very familiar with the area, but I'm interested in checking out any good trails that have sprung up in the Okanagan Valley since I left in '99. I have a whole week to ride, any time of day is o.k.
    I had just began mountainbiking only a couple of years before I moved, so I'm not familiar with alot of stuff in the area and I'd like to see some of the goods. Anyone want to play tour guide and do some riding next week? E-mail me at [email protected] or PM me here. I'm not a hucker, I'm a XC kinda guy. Longer rides are great, and I'm used to the heat. Penticton to Kelowna area is o.k., Vernon is a little too far. I'll have my road bike too! You be the guide, I'm buying the beer at Slacks after!
    Scooter

Jun 2006
    Good stuff Man! I am sure you wont have any problems finding places to ride and there're is plenty of XC Stuff all over the OK!

Good luck and enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Check this out....... Great book as well....

http://www.planet.eon.net/~dan/kvr.html
    Look at me! Look at me, everybody! <*%#*& Crash!^#^%@>

Jan 2007
    i am going to kalamalka lake for 2 weeks in july. Do you guys know any good freeride stuff around there?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No, sorry iron, I don't. I don't know the area that well. Mostly the KVR and most of that by reading up on it. It's a trip that we want to take next year. I am sure that a good bike shop in Vernon would be able to give you some good directions. I have heard some really good things about Silver Star for the downhill crowd. I'm more of a XC myself.
    If you come across something, let us know. I'm sure that I could do the odd light FR trail!

Jan 2007
    but even though im going there for 2 weeks I wont be biking much. Me my family and more family all like water skiing more than MTB but me, its 9 to 1. Im outnumbered so we will mostly be on the lake. But there is a fun cliff jump on kalamalka i will have fun on. I might get to go mtb one day or two. I realy have only mountain biked in edmonton and I finally have my bike in a awesome mountain bike place but wont be able to ride. Its to bad im outnumbered.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well Silverstar is a whole 15 minutes up the road from where you are gonna be...... I'd take advantage of it. There is a recent Silverstar post with a link to nsmb.com showing some of the trail construction. Check it out. Even makes me interested in pointing the nose downhill!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebryce
    i am going to kalamalka lake for 2 weeks in july. Do you guys know any good freeride stuff around there?
    Theres a few good trails in Kal Park........Head into Skyride Cycle(wicked little shop) in Vernon and talk to Terrance.....hell hook ya up....also Silverstar bike park is UNREAL

http://www.skisilverstar.com/index.php

www.skyridecycle.com

Jan 2007
    silver star looks good but we have made plans for going to a resort for MTB on the way back to edmonton were going to go to kicking horse. Ive skied kicking horse and it was unbelievable i cant wait to bike it. Has anyone here biked kicking horse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebryce
    silver star looks good but we have made plans for going to a resort for MTB on the way back to edmonton were going to go to kicking horse. Ive skied kicking horse and it was unbelievable i cant wait to bike it. Has anyone here biked kicking horse.
    Ive got lots of buds that have rode there and they didnt think much of it....if you have the option between SS and KH.....thats not even a choice and yes your right it rocks for a Ski resort

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey ironhorsebryce,

I was out in Vernon last year and stayed right above Kalamalka lake. There is a big park with XC single track just on the far side of the lake. Everyone walks their dog over there. Its not freeride but right where you are staying and pretty good XC.

The free ride stuff is definately up at the hill. It sounded like they also drive up to Kamloops for freeride stuff.

Have fun out there!

conjoinicorned
    silver star looks good but we have made plans for going to a resort for MTB on the way back to edmonton were going to go to kicking horse. Ive skied kicking horse and it was unbelievable i cant wait to bike it. Has anyone here biked kicking horse
    i prefer kicking horse to silverstar any day....but they are completely different hills. silverstar is like a "mini-whistler", and if you're a freeride guy you'll like silverstar.
    kicking horse is awesome steep rocky big mountain style riding, not a lot of stunts or smooth berms. certainly more of a traditional DH mountain.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Jan 2007
    it should be fun ive only realy mountain biked in edmonton so since im used to edmonton it will be so much fun actually mountain biking in the mountains.

Members who have read this thread: 0