Help me convince my wife to take a vacation in Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Help me convince my wife to take a vacation in Whistler

The backstory:
    We’re going to take a family vacation for two weeks starting approximately July 22. My wife is willing to try and indulge my singletrack addiction again this year and vacation at a mountain biking destination. But this year it is complicated by the fact that she is quite pregnant (due in September!). So, she can't ride, and is not all that mobile. We also have a 3 year old daughter.

So, it’s a harder sell this year to do a similar trip, but not off the table. But I need to figure out a place that can satisfy both of our priorties.

Advice I need:
    Last year mtbr hooked me up with great advice about our Tahoe trip. I’m hoping some equally specific insider knowledge will be forthcoming again this year. The types of things that would be most convincing would be “Stay in XX neighborhood, where you can be right on YY lake and also a petting zoo three blocks farther down.” Links to useful websites would be good as well.

My priorities:
    -Great riding
    -Great riding
    -Great riding
    -In the northwestern US or BC
    -Ability to keep my wife and daughter happy while I’m on the bike, as well as when we’re together as a family.

I’m pretty sure I have the first four sewn up here, but the last one is where I require your collective input.

My wife’s priorities:
    -Accomodation near (SHORT walking distance) to some kid-friendly activities.
    -What is an ‘activity’? Pretty loose - a lake or stream to play in counts, as does a short walk to a tourist- and family-friendly town.
    -A variety of family friendly activities and within a short drive.
    -We will only have one car, so ideally should be able to ride from where we stay
    -Reasonably comfortable accommodation (should not be fancy, but she is quite pregnant)

Note: I’m writing similar queries about Bend OR, and Whitefish MT. Any other suggestions would be welcome…

Thanks for any help!

ups and downs
    Ketchum/Sun Valley Idaho might fit that bill as well.

There are a couple of kid friendly play areas and parks around Alta Lake that's close to the Village, and there's all the riding you could want right from Whistler Village, Lost Lake Trails and the west side trails, even Comfortably Numb.

http://www.whistler.com/resources/pd...ng_Map_Web.pdf

http://www.whistler.com/resources/pd...ike_trails.pdf

http://www.whistler.com/resources/pd..._bike_park.pdf

and Whistler is only a short distance up the highway from Squamish if the wife wants a day in Vancouver, she can drive south drop you off in Squamish, you can ride till your legs go numb and she can pick you up on the way back to Whistler.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

West Coast FTW!
    May 2009
    if you are coming to Whistler and can afford it, stay at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler in the Upper Village. Its a 10 minute walk to the village so its quiet in the area at night. Since its at the base of Blackcomb and the Family Zone there are a ton of activities to do there, right outside your door, kids trampoline bungee, bouncy castles, horseback riding, climbing wall, kids zipline and a miniputt course.
    Lost Lake Park is a short free shuttle away and has a good beach and play area.
    The hotel offers free bike valet so your ride is safe, and you can ride to any trail in the valley quite easily.
    Your wife could probably handle a day at the spa in the hotel or hang out by the hot tube and outdoor pools, or even a ride up the gondola to check out the Peak to Peak gondola, if she isn't afraid of heights that is.
    If the Chateau is too much there are a few hotels and condos in the upper village that are nice too, but 2 weeks in Whistler is not gonna be cheap anyways.
    Enjoy your time here if you decide to come up, it is really a Mecca for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    hopefully(as in already booked and paid) doing the honeymoon in July, after a lot of research
    we found this listing which had good variety of places to stay and great prices that we negotiated down a bit more. We thought a condo/apt was out of our price range but not here:

http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/
    cross you fingers for me please, that I wont have to postpone the trip for surgery which will keep me off the bike for perhaps weeks
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

creekside or whistler village?

Thanks for all the great beta!

We're very close to committing to one of a few options in Whistler. Stoked!

My wife found a place she likes the looks of in Creekside, across the highway from Alpha Lake, and a couple smaller options in Whistler Village itself.

We're leaning towards the Creekside option. I don't imagine there will be any red flags from the locals, but would appreciate hearing any opinions if you come across this sometime pretty soon (e.g. it looks like a short ride to the lifts and trails - correct?)

Thanks again for all the input - very helpful, and... IT WORKED, I'M GOING TO MECCA! WHA-HOO!!! Whistler here we come!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike

We're leaning towards the Creekside option. I don't imagine there will be any red flags from the locals, but would appreciate hearing any opinions if you come across this sometime pretty soon (e.g. it looks like a short ride to the lifts and trails - correct?)

!
    creekside is far from the action.

You would have to ride ~20-30 minutes down the valley trail to the village or drive. They're starting to charge for pay parking in the day lots July 1st. $12.00/day .

I would try to get a place in upper village. There are LOTS Of kids activities in the blackcomb base area.

West Coast FTW!
    May 2009
    yup Creekside is 7kms from the Main Village, but there are sweet valley trails in the Creekside area, Big Timber, Tunnel Vision, Flank, Industrial Disease, Danimal, 99, Cheap Thrills, just gotta earn your runs though. The bus has bike racks as well, if you don't wanna ride into town.....have fun and spend lots of money....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Creekside's OK, but...............

I think you all would have a better time if you were closer to the village. (although I understand that $ is probably an issue)

Creekside for your wife & 3 year old - a small lake & very small play structure at Alpha Lake (if you are staying atthe base of the mountain it is probably 15 minute walk with a 3 year old) - they would probably rather spend time in the village or at Meadow Park (a short drive)

The village has shopping, restaurants, etc but also has a pretty cool, but limited play structure, lost of short retaining walls for the 3 year old to walk on (in the middle of the village) and 2 small mountain bike skills parks near the skateboard park which are usually not that crowded and really fun for the 3 year old to run on (a bike teeter totter and lots of raised logs, etc) - one of our kids favourite activities. The Lost Lake bike trails are also really close, which are great for a quick ride and or a short singletrack walk for your wife and 3 year old (again another favourite for our kids).

Meadow Park has an indoor swimming pool as well as an outdoor water park and playgound (located about 3 kilometers north of the village).

Another advantage to staying in or on the edge of the village is that once the little one is in bed, one of you can easily go shopping or just wandering around the village while the other stays in the room (the village will be rocking but it will be completely dead at Creekside).

As BCbud suggests there are XC trails from all parts of the valley, although most of the ones he suggests start 3-5 km from Creekside (from the village theer are a bunch that are .0.5 to 2km away-no car required).

Good Luck & hope you have a great time

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who replied. We ended up being pretty far from the action, in Bayshores, but it was great setup for the family (and more affordable, or, less unaffordable as the case may be). I took the bus when riding the lift, or got dropped off, and it was no big deal. Adding miles on the road before Kill Me Thrill Me/Young Lust in the heat of the day was a drag. I took the bus to Comfortably Numb when I went back up there

Mind-expanding riding!
    5 days riding the lifts, doing things I knew were possible but never thought were for me to experience. Amazing!
    5 days cross country, didn't quite ride every black diamond trail in the book, but got pretty close. Got scared on a couple double blacks - not for me yet!
    2 rest days, and good times with the family.
    Tired and very very happy.

It is my new favorite place in the world.

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    sounds like you had as much fun as I did
    ditto on favorite place
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

West Coast FTW!
    May 2009
    yeah I used to live in Bayshores a few years ago, riding out to KMTM and back is about 30kms or so....glad you had a good time....

Members who have read this thread: 0