Hello from the CMBA - Free Test of Metal Entry!- Mtbr.com
    Off the back...

Hello from the CMBA - Free Test of Metal Entry!

Attention all Calgary and Area Mountain Bikers

The Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance (CMBA) has been involved in promoting and improving the cycling in the city and surrounding area for the last 10+ years. Typically, it has been a reactionary group dealing with specific trail access issues as they arise. CMBA is recognized as the advocacy voice for mountain bikers in Calgary and sit on the Bowmount Park and Paskapoo Slopes committees.

This year, CMBA is going to take a proactive approach rather than a reactionary one. We have already built new trails in Fish Creek Park, partnered with IMBA Canada on trail building in Canmore and are working on, with our partners, a proposal for trail improvements at Moose Mountain. Our partnership with the Friends of Fish Creek, Friends of K Country, IMBA Canada, the new Moose Mountain Trail Building Society, Bike Calgary and others will allow us to improve riding and ride access across the City and beyond.

We want you to be a part of this. Over the next few weeks will be providing more information on how you can join CMBA and help to advance the sport that we all love. We want, no, we NEED you to be involved. There is a lot that we want to accomplish this year and over the next 5. This will include building new trails, building connectors between existing trails, trail maintenance days and city committees to name just a few. Go to http://www.cmbalink.com for more information and to register. We want to keep the mountain bikers of Calgary informed and this is the best way to do it.

Finally, we have a special opportunity. We have been given a charity entry into the exclusive Test of Metal (www.testofmetal.com) race in BC on June 20th. This event sells out every year on Jan 1st even though the race is in June!!! If you would like to put your name in for this entry, email [email protected] with the subject line "Test of Metal Entry".

Include your name, phone number and age. You must enter on or before April 20th with the winner notified on April 22nd. Entry is non-transferable and transportation to and from the race is not included. Winners name will be sent to the Test of Metal organization and they will confirm entry with you. You will be required to show picture ID on race day and follow all the rules of the Test of Metal race. If you are not interested in riding the race, please do not enter the draw!!!

If you would like any more information on CMBA, visit http://www.cmbalink.com or email [email protected].

Let's Ride!!

CMBA Executive
    Trails for the People

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

All ready signed up

And looking forward to coming out to help

There is also an IMBA trail maintenance/building class going on out at the Canmore Nordic Center May 2 - 10. I have the full schedule at home which I can post up tonight. Its free to attend and you help do some trail maintenance with someone from IMBA to teach how to build maintanable trails. The first day is something like this

8:00 - sign in and intro
    9:00-12:00 Class room trail building info
    Lunch
    1:00-4:00 There are 3 session to choose from building freeride trails. Water issues, build a kids loop
    4:00-6:00 Group ride

Sunday is a repeat but another trail building session rather than the intro class.

I'm gonna be out there!

EMBA Board member
    Please explai may 2-10? and tell me more about this did not think IMBA was coming this way untill the dates at the end of June in Edmonton.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just heard about this last night, from my brother in law. But he sounded pretty certain that IMBA was running things. But it could be ran and organized by the nordic center to IMBA standards. Either way the agenda sounded pretty cool. He send me a PDF with all the info, I'll post it tonight...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Off the back...
    I'm annoyed at IMBA Canada for not doing a better job of letting its contrbuting members know about this thing in Canmore. I received a scan of a copy of a letter that Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation sent out about a month ago, saying in effect that "if your organization sponsors this event with $500 or more, you get to bring as many of your people to this trail seminar as you want". I checked the calendar back in March for the days, but there was sweet FA on there.
    Last edited by pinkrobe; 04-21-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Off the back...
    I heard back from IMBA Canada. Apparently, the whole show is being run by the Canmore Nordic Centre, and IMBA is just along for the ride. They have had no say in how the event is being promoted, and weren't informed. Also, IMBA is only doing the first 2 days [May 2-3], the rest is being put on by CNC.

Members who have read this thread: 0