Heli Drop Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Heli Drop Recommendations

Appears to be a couple options around Whistler. Is there one in particular you guys recommend? I talked to Black Tusk Helicopter yesterday and they are pretty reasonably priced at $965 and can take up to 5 people. They take you up on Goat Ridge above Squamish.

I also see Bear Back Biking offers heli drops too. $1300 for 4 people but I don't know what the route would be as I haven't called them yet.

Any other options? My group is going in September and feel like we should do it just for the experience. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Blackcomb Helicopters used to do drops on Rainbow Mountain above Whistler but I can't find it on their website any longer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDciMGDzYZk

According to this article, Bear Back does the Rainbow Mountain drop https://localfreshies.com/is-heli-bi...rmal-people-2/
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Blackcomb Helicopters used to do drops on Rainbow Mountain above Whistler but I can't find it on their website any longer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDciMGDzYZk

According to this article, Bear Back does the Rainbow Mountain drop https://localfreshies.com/is-heli-bi...rmal-people-2/
    Thanks. I was on the Blackcomb website yesterday. Their summer adventures range form picnics to yoga but no MTB. As fun as heli drop yoga sounds.....

I forgot about that Loam Ranger video. That looks like a pretty fun trail.

mtbr member
    I heard there was permitting issues or something last summer with the popular drops. I'll see if I can find the news article. Edit-can't find it, so maybe just rumours

I've done the rainbow drop, was fun. Steep double black trail a lot of the way, not very long. The Mt Barbour one sounds like a bit more of an adventure.

In my experience doing a chilcotins float plane trip is a cooler experience if you want to fly around with your bike, does mean taking a couple days out of a trip to whistler though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I heard there was permitting issues or something last summer with the popular drops. I'll see if I can find the news article. Edit-can't find it, so maybe just rumours

I've done the rainbow drop, was fun. Steep double black trail a lot of the way, not very long. The Mt Barbour one sounds like a bit more of an adventure.

In my experience doing a chilcotins float plane trip is a cooler experience if you want to fly around with your bike, does mean taking a couple days out of a trip to whistler though.
    This would have to be a one day deal as we have a pretty full schedule already planned for the 5 days.

One of the guys in the group did the Mt. Barbour drop a few years ago. He said the trails they pedaled to around Whistler outside of the park were more fun so I am not sure if I can talk him into going to if it is even worth spending the money. Not sure I want to spend the money if there are better trails to be ridden elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    This would have to be a one day deal as we have a pretty full schedule already planned for the 5 days.

One of the guys in the group did the Mt. Barbour drop a few years ago. He said the trails they pedaled to around Whistler outside of the park were more fun so I am not sure if I can talk him into going to if it is even worth spending the money. Not sure I want to spend the money if there are better trails to be ridden elsewhere.
    Yeah, whatever you do, get outside the park off of Top of the World. On your way down, hook a left into the "out of bounds" stuff on Khyber to Kashmir to Kush. SUPER, super fun ride but pay attention and don't get hurt because you probably won't see another soul and a rescue would be hours away. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...-to-big-timber
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Kevin, I saw this one earlier on Pemberton https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/wh...nt?oid=9701785
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, whatever you do, get outside the park off of Top of the World. On your way down, hook a left into the "out of bounds" stuff on Khyber to Kashmir to Kush. SUPER, super fun ride but pay attention and don't get hurt because you probably won't see another soul and a rescue would be hours away. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...-to-big-timber
    We were planning on riding Ride Don't Slide on the way down. That route a better option???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    We were planning on riding Ride Don't Slide on the way down. That route a better option???
    You'll have to wait for Kevin to weigh in on that one and we have ridden "Ride Don't Slide" yet. You pay an extra $15 to get to Top of the World and they limit it to 200 riders per day so if we only have (1) shot, we wanted to ride something we knew was awesome. This Summer, I'll be there for 11 days so maybe I'll venture off to something new.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    You'll have to wait for Kevin to weigh in on that one and we have ridden "Ride Don't Slide" yet. You pay an extra $15 to get to Top of the World and they limit it to 200 riders per day so if we only have (1) shot, we wanted to ride something we knew was awesome. This Summer, I'll be there for 11 days so maybe I'll venture off to something new.
    Appreciate the info! Is it September yet??? lol Going to be a long wait.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    You can ride TOTW to Khyber to Middle of Nowhere to Kashmir, when you pop out on the road, take a right then Line of Control to Earth Circus which puts you at Creekside. Usually, you can use your TOTW one-lift to take the chair up to Lower Freight. Then dealer's choice on the way down to the village.

Also did the Blackcomb heli drop to Rainbow's End last year. Pretty sweet and puts you right at Jaws...or if you didn't scratch your itch for the gnar you can always climb all the way up flank to Gargamel...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    You can ride TOTW to Khyber to Middle of Nowhere to Kashmir, when you pop out on the road, take a right then Line of Control to Earth Circus which puts you at Creekside. Usually, you can use your TOTW one-lift to take the chair up to Lower Freight. Then dealer's choice on the way down to the village.

Also did the Blackcomb heli drop to Rainbow's End last year. Pretty sweet and puts you right at Jaws...or if you didn't scratch your itch for the gnar you can always climb all the way up flank to Gargamel...
    Gargamel looks awesome! Thank you for the recommendations.

mtbr member
    Gargamel is awesome, only done Jaws twice but I know it got some changes for the ews last year. Both pointy end of double black for Whistler standards so keep that in mind! If you do the rainbow drop and want an easier exit Billy epic is the way to go.

As for Khyber/Kashmir/etc vs ride don't slide, since ride don't slide had some updates a couple years ago they are pretty similar difficulty wise. Khyber/etc has climbs and is more of a ride, RDS is basically all DH and doesn't take too long. I prefer Khyber/etc (one of my favourite rides actually) but ride both a few times a season. Keep on mind both of those get a lot harder if it's wet, unrideable if it's really wet.